SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pere_kyle

Different Flooring in Kitchen vs Rest of House

Pere Kyle
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Houzz!

My wife and I have a design dilemma. We have a 1910 craftsman in the Seattle Area with Old Growth Fir Floors on the entire main floor. We refinished the floors in the hall and bedrooms but the floors in the Kitchen are shot. Currently they are 4" fir with some sort of epoxy paint on them as you can see in the photos. We picked out a wood floor we loved to replace them: https://www.miragefloors.com/en-us/hardwood-flooring-red-oak-seashell-character-distressed/

However, when the floor installer came out he said the contrast might look weird/chopped up and recommended tile of some sort. My question is if there is any way to make this work? I don't like tile in the kitchen as its hard/cold on the feet and I cook dinner/breakfast 5 days a week. I feel like the doorway breaks the space up a bit such that it kind of works (currently as you can see the kitchen and hall have different floors already. I saw some examples of tile transitions in the doorway to different wood in other houses (see below). Is there any solution?

Hallway Adjoining the Kitchen:

Kitchen:

Example Transition:

Comments (26)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals