SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline09

A "would you rather?" question

Lynn Heins
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Between our cash on hand and the sale value of our home (100% equity), we would have enough cash to build our home, with plenty of padding for overages.

Early on, I was dead-set on securing a loan to fund our build, then pay the loan back quickly once the house sold. We have young children (7, 7 and 1) and I wanted minimal disturbance for them during this process. I didn't want to move twice if I didn't have to.

However, we have an offer from a neighbor to purchase our house. The buyers are eager to get in, but they would wait if needed. We have a family member (brother) with a vacant cabin who is willing to let us move in for only minimal rent and maintenance/mowing. I have to say... now I'm tempted to skip the bank loan, sell the home so we have that cash, and move our family of 5, plus a dog, into this cabin.

Let me tell you about this cabin... it's in good structural shape. It has one bedroom, one bathroom, and one large space for the living/dining/kitchen/laundry. I think it's about 900 square feet total.

The downside is we'll have to store all of our stuff. The upside is that we would save several thousand dollars if we skipped the loan.

So what would you rather do? Sell the home and remain 100% debt free, yet live in a tiny house for anywhere between 10 and 15 months? Or just take the loan and enjoy not having to move twice? I would appreciate any thoughts you have!

Comments (58)