Speaking of mattresses...
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Do you speak Texan???
Comments (9)Thanks Linda and Tally, great stuff for big laughs! Do any of y'all know who I mean by Mattress Mac? I have never in my life heard anyone with a Texas accent who talked so fast. I can't hear that fast! A couple of the professors in Waco and Dallas on north to Wichita Falls, I've heard talk something like that, but never close to Mac's speed. My favorite Texas talker is a grand white lady I know up north in the Piney Woods. I don't want to say exactly where because if I do, every professional photographer is gonna go to her directly and offer her lots of money for her help. She's more pro than they could ever be, I guarantee! Since the days of Polaroids - heckfire, maybe since the days of Tin Type! - she's never been one to get smiles by exhorting: "Say Cheese!" She always got right to business and still today, 90 something years old, lines up with us for family photos and gets a smile on every face, every time, with a perfectly timed alternative: "All right now, ever-body...saaaay f#%@!"...See MoreWatching Bernake speak about housing
Comments (63)Here are some of the greedy, stupid and irresponsible investors in the Madoff fund, and Madoff was a past chairman of the board of directors of the Nasdaq Stock Market as well as a member of the board of governors of the National Association of Securities Dealers and a member of numerous committees of the organization, according to his firm's Web site. That said, I am still waiting for the rants and raves from those who still want to believe that this economic tsunami was all about "stupid, greedy, irresponsible" mortgage borrowers. (foot tapping) Notice how all of these wealthy, highly educated folks did not understand they were being scammed. Where is the outrage on THEIR lack of due diligence. Hmmmm? "...New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon, GMAC LLC Chairman J. Ezra Merkin and former Philadelphia Eagles owner Norman Braman were among the dozens of seemingly sophisticated investors who placed money on what could prove to be history's largest financial scam. Giant French bank BNP Paribas, Tokyo-based Nomura Holdings Inc. and Neue Privat Bank in Zurich are also exposed, according to people familiar with the matter. And at least three funds of hedge funds -- which raise money from investors and farm it out to hedge funds -- may have significant losses. Fairfield Greenwich Group and Tremont Capital Management of New York placed hundreds of millions of their investors' dollars into funds overseen by Mr. Madoff. On Friday, Maxam Capital Management LLC reported a combined loss of $280 million on funds they had invested with Mr. Madoff. "I'm wiped out," said Sandra Manzke, Maxam's founder and chairman. The Darien, Conn., fund of hedge funds will have to close as a result of the losses, she said..... .....The alleged fraud has "swept up some of the most prominent and wealthy Americans, along with many people who thought they were embarking on a comfortable retirement and have now been left destitute," says Brad Friedman, a lawyer at Milberg LLP, which with Seeger Weiss LLP represents more than 30 investors with losses they believe could total more than $1 billion...... .....Details emerged Friday of how Mr. Madoff ran the alleged scam, fostering a veneer of exclusivity and creating an A-list of investors that became his most powerful marketing tool. From New York and Florida to Minnesota and Texas, the money manager became an insider's choice among well-heeled investors seeking steady returns. By hiring unofficial agents, tapping into elite country clubs and creating "invitation only" policies for investors, he recruited a steady stream of new clients. During golf-course and cocktail-party banter, Mr. Madoff's name frequently surfaced as a money manager who could consistently deliver high returns. Older, Jewish investors called Mr. Madoff " 'the Jewish bond,' " says Ken Phillips, head of a Boulder, Colo., investment firm. "It paid 8% to 12%, every year, no matter what." As his reputation grew, Mr. Madoff gained the trust of prominent businessmen, including ex-Eagles owner Mr. Braman, who owns a chain of Florida auto dealers. A voicemail message left with Mr. Braman's office was not immediately returned. Mets owner Mr. Wilpon, who also owns real-estate investor Sterling Equities, often raved about Mr. Madoff's investment prowess and invested tens of millions of dollars of both his own money and the team's with his company, say financiers who have worked with him. Mr. Madoff handled investments for the Judy & Fred Wilpon Family Foundation, which distributed about $1 million a year in 2005 and 2006 to charities, according to its most recent federal tax returns..... .....Mr. Merkin, the chairman of former General Motors Corp. financing arm GMAC, is also a money manager at Ascot Partners LLC in New York. Ascot, which had $1.8 billion under management as of Sept. 30, had substantially all of its assets invested with Mr. Madoff, according to a letter to Mr. Merkin sent to clients Thursday night. Mr. Merkin said as one of the largest investors in Ascot, he believed he had personally "suffered major losses from this catastrophe." Mr. Merkin could not be reached for comment. Mr. Madoff tapped social networks in Dallas, Chicago, Boston and Minneapolis. In Minnesota, he attracted investors from Hillcrest Golf Club of St. Paul and Oak Ridge Country Club in Hopkins, investors say. One of them estimated that investors from the two clubs may have invested more than $100 million combined. One of the largest clusters of Madoff investors was in Florida, where losses could be substantial. Mr. Madoff relied on a network of friends, family and business colleagues to attract investors. According to investors and agents, some of these agents were paid commissions for harvesting investors. Others had separate, lucrative business relationships with Mr. Madoff. "If you were eating lunch at the club or golfing, everyone was always talking about how Madoff was making them all this money," one investor says. "Everyone wanted to sign up." Jeff Fischer, a top divorce attorney in Palm Beach, says many of his clients were also Mr. Madoff's clients. "Every big divorce that came through my office had portfolio positions with Madoff," he says. Two of his investors said that among his clients, Mr. Madoff was considered a money-management legend; they would joke that if Mr. Madoff was a fraud, he'd take down half the world with him.... ...Richard Spring, a Boca Raton resident and former securities analyst, says he had about $11 million -- or 95% of his net worth -- invested with Mr. Madoff. "That's how much I believed in him," Mr. Spring said....See MoreSpeaking of demons....
Comments (9)Thank you, again everyone. An afternoon of fresh air and picking up an early b-day pressie for DH perked my mood up. And coming home after just breathing has helped. Your continued support means the world to me. I am trying to be a better person. I can't right every wrong but I can make my actions now be more positive. Besides, if I don't treat her with respect, how could I ever ask for it back? LOL to all of you. Thank you for holding my hand. Peggy Oh yea, on the other challenge, after the emails I told DH I really felt like a beer so it was time to go do something. I got a wee bit upset letting it get to me like that so the walk did me good in that aspect and admitting to DH how I felt was another step forward....See MoreHelp design gurus. What to do? Bedroom Too bland? French Country?
Comments (9)I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm not a guru there. with this out of the way, I'd say that your moodboard seems great to me, and your plans sound nice as well. Seeing the room itself though-or at least the rough plan-would be really helpful. Dark antique nightstands-I haven't seen them(again, maybe you can attach a photo?), but if you already have them-I'd try to make them part of the overall design, before trying newer furniture, even though OKL is a good site, generally speaking. Your mattress should be very good and you should try it in a store before buying. The frame..I guess one can get lucky with online (and I was, couple times), but the mattress is different. But you might already have the one you use and love. Upholstered pieces like armchair and bench..do you own them already, or you plan to buy them online? These, should be comfortable, and can be hit or miss, because chairs are very personal, if one can say so. Depends on one's height etc-what's great for one person isn't great at all for another. If you still decide to risk it-check a shop's return policy really well..try it right when they deliver, more upscale shops will allow you to return on the spot(or so I heard. lol). Which is of course much easier than to schedule them once again etc. Check also whether they charge restocking fees. Make sure all your dimensions are known, measure everything. With rugs, pay attention not only to colors and patterns, but whether they serve your needs. Low traffic, high traffic? Make sure they're the type that doesn't move much-you don't want tripping hazard in your bedroom, and make sure you buy a good rug pad as well. Your painting is beautiful, and if you have physical space to put it in your bedroom, and would rather enjoy it on your bedroom-I don't see any reason why not. I for one can have strong albeit illogical opinions about where art X or art Y should go, and I stick to them. If my feelings will change down the road-well then I'll act accordingly. (of course one's family sometimes dictates things. Say I have a beloved portrait of a clown, and my daughter expressed very strong desire to never see it in living areas because it freaks her out. I find him being very kind clown, but oh well. I have him next to my bed, all the better for me)) No, one doesn't decorate around the painting, not really, but one can get deeply inspired by it)) It's amazing what simple reframing of whatever we try to say, can do. Especially with your subdued, warmer colors-I don't see any need for you to make particular efforts to decorate around the painting. The painting will do just fine, as I see it. It's great enough to hold its own. Just decide where you want it-more personal space, more public space..maybe you decide you want it be the one and only painting in the room. maybe you decide it'll do fine with companions..look at it as if it was alive(and it is to some degree, to you)..consult it:) Play with it a bit..put it here, there..lean it on the floor first in different places, if you're not deadly sure where it goes. Soon you'll feel where it wants to be and where you want it to be. The dialogue should be between you and your painting, first of all. She speaks to you(she speaks to me too)-she won't stay silent:) It will be just fine. As for the exact placement-again, here we could be more useful if we knew dimensions of your space or see photos of it. But from sheer dimensions of it, narrow wall might be too narrow. Again, we don't know what's narrow. Maybe narrow is wide enough. But it needs not to feel squished. Congratulations on what sounds like a very exciting journey!...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

FURNITURESmart Shopper: How to Buy a Mattress
Confusing options, hair-raising prices, haggling ... Our guide can keep you from losing sleep over mattress shopping
Full Story
BEDROOMSThe Right Mattress: The Secret to a Great Night’s Sleep
We spend a third of our lives asleep, so investing in a quality mattress is essential. Check out this expert advice to help you choose yours
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMENatural Beds: How to Shop for a Greener Mattress
Before bouncing from store to store, start here to find the right chemical-free mattress for you
Full Story
BEDROOMSPerk Up Your Bedding’s Personality
Nix that whole ‘bed in a bag’ thing in favor of artfully arranged separates that speak to the imagination
Full Story
BEDROOMSBed Down in a Cocoon of Beautiful Textiles
Make your bedroom a real haven with a bed draped in sheets, blankets and pillows that speak to your dreams
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACES20 Ideas for a Hip and Creative Kids' Room
Choose cool over cutesy for a bedroom that will grow with your child and speak to your taste too
Full Story
COASTAL STYLECasual Coastal Style Done 6 Ways
Give your beachy style a British accent, a Southern twang or a crisp New England tone — whatever coastal style speaks to you, this can help
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESRoom of the Day: Ocean Inspires a Light and Breezy Design
Thanks to a remodel, this coastal Florida living room now speaks of sunny skies and sandy beaches
Full Story
BEDROOMSThe Bed: Supersize It
Maximize mattress territory for the ultimate in lounging and sleep space
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEDoes Your Home Make You Happy?
How to design an interior that speaks to your heart as well as your eyes
Full Story
OutsidePlaying