SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seed290

Bathroom/laundry off kitchen?

Poplar and Fig
4 years ago

Hi all - I am working on a home reno with a few of my clients who are wanting to close off a hallway and have the current powder room + hall laundry sectioned off to where the only access is through the kitchen. Currently both are in a tiny hallway between the kitchen and the “bonus” room (see photos). They are wanting to turn that extra room into an office that could also serve as a 4th bedroom (it is right off of the living room which makes it a little less desirable- house is small ~1500 sq ft and all bedrooms are on the opposite side of the house). They won’t gain a ton of usable wall space in the kitchen since they are wanting a pocket door put in to section off the powder room and laundry area. It feels odd to me to walk through the kitchen simply to go to the bathroom as opposed to flipping the access to be from the extra room. I’m also hesitant in general because the house is quite small and I feel like adding a wall would create additional choppiness instead of allowing a nice walkway between rooms. I’m hoping to get others thoughts out there. I am just starting with interior design and have only been doing this for about a year now. Of note kitchen will be gutted, house has just been painted in BM Classic Grey. I have suggested a small island due to a large open floor in the middle of the kitchen but they aren’t really drawn to that idea. Any guidance from professionals would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments (17)