SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

motion sensor exterior light for 1940 bungalow

girl_wonder
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm looking for exterior lighting w/ motion sensor and photo cell for my 1940 bungalow. There are fewer options than I'd hoped. I found options for a couple spots, but in other areas I'm stuck. Any ideas?

First, here's what I think could work (but I'm open to other ideas)

a) This my thought for the small back deck off leading to the patio; it's 12" wide.

b) For the breezeway behind my garage (10" wide; I need something smaller because there is only 21.5" between windows. This fixture will light my potting bench).

Now here's where I'm stuck.

c) For the front and back of the garage, I was thinking another barn light (surprise). There is 15" dorado (like the back deck fixture) w/ photocell but no motion detector. Is there an attractive device to work as the motion detector? (I've seen where people mount those separately, to trigger the light, but I would prefer a cleaner look. Any way to make those separate devices look decent/invisible?).

d)

For the back patio I fell in love with these but there's no motion detector. Would a motion sensor socket work?

e) For the front porch arbor, I'd like a flush mount but I'm coming up empty.

Any other ideas or thoughts? FWIW, I don't need the fixtures to look full on mission style; I'd prefer to avoid the square fixtures (I had that before and want a change of pace). The patio ones I posted have a nice mix, IMO. I have tall windows in back, so for the patio, the taller (17" tall) fixture looks better than 14-15" high.

Californians: what are you doing to comply with the code, needing both a motion sensor and photocell. (LED is easy--just buy the right bulb).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (22)