Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnamira

I'm sorry to learn of this - I have several of the "HOME" books, and enjoyed how they showed the evolution of Tolkien's mythology as well as the basic storyline of LotR. One of the most intriguing LotR characters which Tolkien dropped early on was "Trotter," the hobbit who wore shoes and whose lines were all transferred to Strider/Aragorn; I've always wished to learn more of him.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I had not realized he was a French citizen and so aged. This is a great loss. I have long been fascinated by the author of LOTR and his family life, having read an excellent biography years ago, which title now escapes me. I remember that Tolkien had a very romantic and loving relationship with his wife and they invented mythological names for each other.

Save    
sheri_z6

I am also sorry to learn of his passing. I've loved LOTR since the first time I read it at 13. If I had to choose the books that were most important to my reading life, LOTR would top the list. I have not delved into the HOME books, but I've enjoyed Tolkien's Letters to Father Christmas and many re-readings of LOTR. Thanks for sharing this, Rosefolly.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Woodnymph, Tolkien thought of himself as Beren and his wife as Luthien, and those names are engraved on their tombstones. They are characters, not in the LOTR, but in the vast mythology that lies behind the LOTR, much of it in the Silmarillion. Theirs is a fabulous love story that even survives death.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Laceyvail, thanks for refreshing my memory. I remember their names, now, as well as reading about all the mythology that lies behind Tolkien's work. We possibly read the same biography, you and I. What a fabulous gift and imagination Tolkien had to create entire worlds.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Pop A ‘Lord of the Rings’ Fan Makes His Dream Hobbit House
A New York construction supervisor and his family spend more than 6 years building this cozy, movie-inspired cottage
Full Story
Kitchen Appliances How to Choose the Right Hood Fan for Your Kitchen
Keep your kitchen clean and your home's air fresh by understanding all the options for ventilating via a hood fan
Full Story