SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdevgryff

1/8” glass mosaic tile - hard to work with?

C DeV
4 years ago

I have all my bathroom tile picked out - new construction. So pleased either everything. Worked with a designer along with the rep at the large tile store. I picked a gorgeous glass mosaic stacked tile for an accent feature in my shower and for the bathtub and vanity backsplash. It’s 1/8” thick.

My builder says that 1/8” tile is problematic and he would prefer not to work with it. I asked him why it’s problematic but haven’t heard back yet.

The plan is to use the mosaic glass as an accent feature in shower - vertical 1’ wide floor to ceiling on back wall, with the main shower tile in the bullnose pieces to frame the accent tile. This will make the transition between the thickness of the shower tile and then the frames accent tile at 1/8” thick look purposefully and highlight it.

As I don’t have knowledge or experience with 1/8” glass mosaic tile I am wondering what the problems the builder/tile installer will encounter and could it affect the long term use of the shower?

My builder suggests I pick something else out that is thicker. This is a custom home - not a mass build project.

Thoughts?

Pics are of tile selections and with beautiful mosaic glass tile. Newport Beach Stack from Elysian.

Comments (16)