SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjerin

Altitude sickness

sjerin
4 years ago

Dh has always wanted to visit Yellowstone Park so we're planning to do so sometime this year--lots of thought has gone into this trip so far but I understand it can be tough finding accommodations, due to the crowds. My biggest worry--I'm a champion worrier!--is the possibility or likelihood, really, of altitude sickness on my part. We were visiting Boulder a couple of years ago and I couldn't even make it up to Estes Park; had to turn the car around and go back down. I know that drinking plenty of water and acclimating can help, but I'd sure like to hear from anyone who may have had a personal experience with this. We'll be entering the park from the Idaho side and haven't made specific plans beyond that. In my reading I see there are a couple of specific spots (Dunraven Pass at 8,860 especially,) that I'm concerned about, though all of the park is up in elevation for me--I'm used to nearly sea-level at my home. Knowing dh, he'll want to cover as much of the two loops as possible but I might need to disabuse him of this idea if I feel that it will be utter misery for me!

Comments (22)