SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Good morning all!

Since it's that time of year, I felt like sharing my 2020 orders. Last year for 2019, I ordered no new plants. I was in the process of adapting from an office setting job as an ABOC optician to a manufacturing environment with a specialty foam maker that supplies for everything from medical devices and adhesive tapes to flooring, roofing, and automotive interior trim.

It was daunting initially, especially the change to night shift, twelve hour work days, and zero climate control. I'm hoping to take initiative and take advantage of their tuition reimbursement program so that I may get that expensive paper and back into some air (haha).

Without further ado, the roses of Spring 2020:

Northland Rosarium
-Applejack
-Marianne (Barden...!)
-Sutter's Gold

Heirloom
-Alexander Mackenzie
-Aunt Honey
-Louise Clements
-Tuscany Superb

Regan's
-A Shropshire Lad (on multiflora)
-Colette (own root)
-Dark Desire (multiflora)
-Fragrant Cloud (Dr. Huey) (love this one, already have one. It's extra special to me because it's a variety my grandparents got for me once while RV'ing across the states.)
-Golden Celebration (Dr. Huey) (an extra special variety for the same reasons!)
-Julia Child (Dr. Huey) (planted this for my Grandma in Florida spring 2016, we lost her in September that year so this variety is special for a different reason)
-Aotearoa New Zealand (Dr. Huey)
-Tangerine Skies (own root)

The Antique Rose Emporium (previously shared for Lily in another thread) :)
-Albertine
-Basye's Blueberry
-Basye's Purple Rose
-Fantin-Latour
-Madame Plantier
-Mary Manners
-Mrs. Anthony Waterer
-Sarah Van Fleet
-Veilchenblau
-William Lobb
-Winter Sunset

And finally, my last order so far, from
High Country Roses
-Agnes
-Fruhlingsgold
-Honorine de Brabant
-Rosa foetida bicolor (Austrian Copper)
-Rosa glauca
-Rosa hugonis
-Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'
-Souvenir du Docteur Jamain

Although I still love more tender modern roses for cut blooms, I have room for big shrubs here like lilacs, and am changing a focus to hardier varieties and types because I grow tired of plants that just can't quite cut it and outright die (the easiest), get the dwindles then die (still not too bad), or decide to feebly hold on with small toothpick like canes and one bloom per year that I have to shovel out (hard because it's still alive, but not as hard as removing something doing great because you just don't care for it).

I do enjoy seeing everyone's orders and experiences. For me, black spot is the main and highest pressure disease in the humid center of the Great Lakes. Mildew only occasionally happens in autumn, and never badly. Roses do NOT get rust here*, but the grass does. *so far in my gardens

The other primary challenge is a climate that loves to alternate 50°F and rain to 19°F and windy but no snow cover.
We had record lows at the start of November (talking minus digits) and some of my roses have already died-back and some are unaffected so far.

Have a fantastic day!

Steven

Comments (17)