Charity Ratings and donations?

lulu bella

I would like to make a donation in memory of a friend's mother. The mother and rest of the family live overseas, and I am not certain what ailment it was.

I figured I would make a donation to something like American heart association, cancer society, something like that but now I am wondering which are the good charities? What I mean is, there are some that spend so much on advertising and very little on either research or helping. Is there a quick and easy way to find this info? I did find charity navigator but it looks pretty complex.

Does anyone have any tips on this? thank you

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bookwoman

Here's one list from Consumer Reports, sorted by the type of charity: https://www.consumerreports.org/charities/best-charities-for-your-donations/

Save    
dedtired

Charity Navigator ranks charities according to how well they perform and lists some that are concerning. Charity navigator

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

bookwoman, other than a few obvious choices (like the Sierra Club) of this non-profit with obvious political leanings, this is a very East Coast-centric list. There are many deserving and well run organizations around the country and many ways to find them.

Sorry, I dislike the Consumers Union and stopped subscribing after decades of support. Their views and findings have become biased and not balanced in my view and their pretense to the contrary is disingenuous.

Save    
Bookwoman

I didn't realize that, Elmer. I actually haven't used their recommendations in years, when I used to subscribe to CR, so thought they were still a good, unbiased source.

Save    
chisue

Ask your friend.

1 Like Save    
Suzieque

It would seem best, to me, to ask your friend what her mother might have wanted. While making a donation is a lovely gesture, it would probably be most appreciated if it were more personal, such as a cause she had been interested in. Just my opinion.

"Consumers Union"?

Save    
Bookwoman

Suzie, Consumers Union was the original name of the organization that published Consumer Reports magazine. It was changed to Consumer Reports at some point...2012 according to Wikipedia.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

The link for charity navigator doesn't rate them all. I tried to look up Goodwill and Salvation Army, neither one is rated because they don't file a certain tax form.

Save    
Bookwoman

You can also try guidestar.org, which is more comprehensive than Charity Navigator, but not necessarily simpler.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Thanks bookwoman, that's a data point to show how long ago I stopped my subscription. I got to the point of being too annoyed with their pretense and not so hidden agenda. It's a shame, it was once a well respected and independent information source.

Save    
socks

Doctors Without Borders is an international humanitarian organization which might appeal more since they are outside the U.S. Medecins sans Frontieres

1 Like Save    
lulu bella

thank you for your input and help.

Normally, there would be some obit or something to indicate what charity ( or illness) but in this case, they went back (to India) and I just thought to do something to honor their memory. I had emailed my friend to ask but haven't gotten a reply as I think they are really quite drained and busy. I just wanted to do something.

Save    
terilyn

Heifer International is another wonderful one along with Doctors Without Borders.

Save    
joyfulguy

I have used Charity Intelligence, but I think that its focus is on mostly, possibly entirely Canadian agencies.

Are you interested in the work of Amnesty International? I think that they use donations reasonably effectively, in seeking justice for many mistreated and jailed for supporting humanitarian causes in many countries.

I have supported Ottawa-based Farm Radio International, which broadcasts practical advice to sub-Saharan farmers through hundreds of radio stations.

You referred to your friend having an Indian connection. Winnipeg-based Canadian FoodGrains Bank, begun by the Mennonite Central Committee and later involving many churches, has offered food and other support in many countries, I think including India, a fellow Commonwealth country. They have an evaluation as being among the most honest and effective charities.

Doubt that they can offer tax-deductible receipts to U.S. contributors. Should you be interested, they can likely tell you whether they have links with U.S. agencies who coulď issue charitable receipts in the U.S.

Thank you for your desire to honour your friend's loved one at this heartbreaking time.

ole joyful

Save    
mdln

Agree, would ask your friend. Also like Doctors Without Borders.

Impressive ratings. https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7135

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decluttering How to Donate Clothes to Charity Without Leaving Home
Turn fall cleaning into an opportunity to give back to the community
Full Story
Green Decluttering Guru: What to Do With 8 Harder-to-Donate Items
These items need not end up in the trash. Here’s where to take or sell your unwanted stuff
Full Story
Earth Day How to Donate or Recycle Home Remodeling Materials
Cut greenhouse gas emissions, ease landfill loads and give back to neighbors with an eco-friendly approach to renovation
Full Story
We create award winning kitchens/baths designed to suit your lifestyle! The heart of the home is always the... Read More
oe Morgado has over 30 years of well-rounded construction and masonry experience. He brings authentic artisan... Read More