SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seabiscuit68

30" Induction Cooktop Advice

seabiscuit68
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello,

I currently have a smooth top electric cook top installed in a granite slab. The unit works as intended, I just hate electric cook tops. Technically I could install a gas cook top to replace the electric one (there is an unused gas line in the adjacent room that used to be a dryer hookup), but for simplicity sake, I think going with a direct plug and play swap would be better. I do lose the downdraft that I currently have (the gas unit would have had downdraft as well), but I live in MN so I can use the recirculating style vent and get by (most of the advantages of a vented one are lost in MN where you want to RETAIN heat and moisture for most of the year).

So I'm looking at induction cook tops. There aren't a lot of options in the US for induction as they aren't very popular. And the ones that do exist rarely have many reviews. Lots of old threads on this, but nothing dealing with some of the existing options out there.

Here are the main ones:

Fridgeaire Gallery - Very popular. Lots of reviews online from places like Home Depot that give it very high reviews. Very cheap at about $800. Doesn't have bridging (so no griddles, etc.) and I'm not a huge fan of the element sizes (10", 7", 7", 6"). Plus I typically think "cheaper" means lower quality / less features, so I'm not sure what I'm losing for $1000 less than the others.

GE Profile - Very popular. Lots of very good reviews. About $1450. Has a bridging element for stuff like griddles. Selection of temperatures is only by cycling through with +/- keys. Slightly better element sizes (11", 7", 7", 6")

GE Cafe 30" - One step up from the Profile that basically adds in options to adjust temperature without having to cycle through every setting by pressing up and down on the unit. Everything else appears the same. Adds "Gourmet Guided Cooking." $2000.

Bosch 800 - New product for 2018/2019. Very few reviews and the ones that do exist are all paid for (they have a note saying they were collected as part of a promotion). No flex area. Better configuration of element sizes (11", 9", 6", 6"). 17 settings for heat (more granularity the better in my opinion). No +/- requirement for getting from one setting to the other. A couple reviews say the touch interface isn't great. Autochef which regulates the setting based on the temperature of the pan. $1850

Bosch Benchmark - the step up from the 800. Has the 11"/9" duo that I like and adds in a flex zone for griddles. Appears to add in a bunch of other smart features (more to go wrong). $2500. Again, almost no reviews (this is a new unit for 2018/2019) and the ones that exist are paid.

Samsung - Not interested due to the reviews. Seem very unreliable.

I'm looking for any help / advice / first hand experience with deciding on which to get in 2019.

Thanks!

Comments (30)