SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
papa39

Help me insulate exterior wall next to shower to prevent condensation!

Mike
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm remodeling our small bathroom and putting in a walk-in shower, where the longest side is on an exterior wall (no windows). Whomever built the house did not use plywood sheathing. The only sheathing on the house is foil faced foam board. When I redid the insulation in the bathroom, I put in ThermaFiber (mineral wool), not only for insulation but sound dampening. No vapor barrier has been installed yet. Well, a few weeks ago when it got really cold here, I noticed quite a bit of water at the bottom plate of that wall. When I checked the insulation, it was completely soaked at the bottom like sponge.

Obviously, the condensation/dew point happened right where the mineral wool met the foam board. I ripped that out and have now taped the seam between the foam board and the studs, top plate, bottom plate with metal foil tape to eliminate any air gaps.

What I am thinking of doing is this and I need advice on if this would work. Fill the remaining void with 3" pink foam board and seal any gaps with spray foam. Then, put a 6 mil plastic vapor barrier over that. The tile backer board is going to be 1/2" Schluter Kerdi board, so there is some more insulation. What I'm trying to do is minimize any air gaps in that space and prevent moist air from entering those stud bays. My other concern is if I got condensation in there, where would it go?

Comment