SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Alright,here we go!

amylou321
4 years ago

Well, the weight loss contest at my job has started. Me and my teammate went and weighed in on Monday. Later that day, I finished off my birthday treats and went shopping for my new eating plan.
I am doing low carb again. Not keto or Atkins or anything specific. It's a diet that a doctor that runs a weight loss clinic gave me years ago. It works well for my purpose. I am usually not hungry after the first couple weeks of adjusting to it, and I lose the weight. I went off of it a few months ago because it is not always convenient and I just didnt care at that time. But now I am recommitted to it,if only because i know it may help me CRUSH the competition.
I never stopped my daily walking regime. 15000 steps a day minimum. I may have to add in something else. Some strength training or some of these workout DVDs I've got laying around. Or one of the free workout videos on amazon prime or YouTube. I don't expect working out to aid in weight loss,but I do think it helps keep the weight off,and it's a good appetite suppressant.
I feel bad saying this but it's true. I have little to NO faith in my teammate. She had weight loss surgery 2 or 3 years ago, and lost half her extra weight, before steadily putting some of it back on,the whole time giving out diet and fitness advice. But if not for her,I wouldn't be in the contest at all. She asked me,much to my surprise,to be her partner in the madness. I told her that I would be her teammate, but she needs to know and accept that I will be ON HER BEHIND the whole 2 months we have to lose weight for the contest. We are on separate shifts(she is on day shift on the days I am off, and I am on the opposite night shift) so there is no REAL way to hold each other accountable, but I see her once a week and we can check in then I guess. I hope she is as committed as I am, or as committed as she says she is. I hate losing. More than I like winning. It's why I do not usually enter myself in contests. However, thanks to hounds, I think that we will at least win the team name contest. If not,I will be CONVINCED that the whole thing is rigged. :)
Wish me luck! And will power!

Comments (61)

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes,I am certainly not perfect diet wise. Before I changed to my current job over 10 years ago, I worked in factories and was on my feet MOVING,running up and down stairs and from building to building for 12 hours,sometimes 7 nights a week. I didn't have much time to eat and when I did, I certainly ate what I wanted,with no regard to calories or carbs. It made no difference. My weight was healthy and stable all those years. When I switched to a desk job, I piled on the weight VERY quickly and have struggled to get and keep it off.

I don't want her to be discouraged or get defensive, so I dont really plan on taking her to task too much for her efforts,but I will ask what she has been doing and if she is struggling in any way and what can I do to help. Since we work when the other is off we cant really work out together or anything like that but whatever support she needs I will give to her. I just hope this isnt another false start for her. Maybe being accountable to someone other than a doctor will help.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Best of luck to your team! I have enormous faith in you and your ability to motivate your co-worker.

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Related Discussions

We come and we go. . .

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm glad to see you too, Nora. I used to look forward to your posts, because they always rang of the heartland to me. I remember pics you posted years ago and that farmland always brought visions of old windmills to my mind. When we used to travel through your state when I was small, they were everywhere it seems.
    ...See More

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go !!

Q

Comments (40)
    There are always the series of expensive things which boil down to a single item which is "priceless". It was there with 3 seconds left in the game. The TV camera was showing a very jubilant Cowher. For less than 2 seconds, Holmgren was shown and the look on his face was one of those "priceless" things! Many of us Wisconsinites have never forgiven him for walking out on the Packers and then taking Favre's best backup. We'll be back! Martin
    ...See More

Brandywine Sudduth vs Brandywine Cowlicks

Q

Comments (60)
    It was quite by accident that I came about the Ruumi Baanjan seeds, but I ranked it #3 out of all my tomatoes for taste last year, and my wife ranked it #1. If there is a downside to this variety, it is that there is not enough meat in it to make a good processing tomato, even though it is so thin skinned that a few turns in the blender are all that is needed to have the skins evaporate. Good juice tomato, poor sauce, great fresh eating. About 1/3 of the tomatoes were yellow-orange in a kind of sunburst, while the rest were straight yellow. And since all three plants gave that trait I am wondering if it has something to do with sun or heat. I will grow those seeds (which I separated by tomato color) in different areas of the yard to see how they do.
    ...See More

If we love maple should we go with engineered in kitchen?

Q

Comments (9)
    I had a solid not engineered maple floor in my kitchen from 1987 to 2011 and again when we remodeled in 2011. Again chose solid maple in kitchen. We. Got dings and scrapes when we pushed chairs across the floor and under the table. Then, the felt pads wore loose or got dirty and did not protect. In the remodel the floors are perfect. The felt pads now stay on and stay clean. We are empty nesters since 2009 as dd now in college. Separation due to heat or wet fluctuations never a big deal. Very slightly and not noticeable much. If you stare, on certain days, it is slight. I would do maple again but we bought a house in Tucson and peeps say no to. Hw floors here. So am doing laminate in bedrooms and ceramic elsewhere. I love maple the most. It is kinder to backs and aging legs but I gotta listen. In my heart, I doubt their accuracy and think they are just unfamiliar with hw in kitchens. My old floors did get beat up but loved them anyway. My new floors are perfect, flawless.
    ...See More
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Perhaps you are what she needs....not that she needs to be hounded, but maybe she needed to make a commitment to someone other than herself. Good luck to you both. I hope she doesn't disappoint.

amylou321 thanked georgysmom2
  • Chi
    4 years ago

Is it a male vs. female contest, or just one group? Men seem to lose weight so much easier than women sometimes, with less fluctuations. 2 months isn't very long! I wish you luck!

I'm exactly 1 month into my own weight loss journey and have lost 12 pounds. I'm very exited about that! I expect it will slow down soon.

amylou321 thanked Chi
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's all inclusive, everyone against everyone. I think the final tally will be based on percentage lost,not just pounds lost. To be fair, women teams have won the last few years, with one male/female team winning last year.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Chi, you lost 12 pounds in the month that included the holidays and all your delicious looking baking? Good for you. That is amazing.

amylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    4 years ago

I agree, that's awesome Chi. I basically starved myself for a month on a keto diet and only lost 8 lbs. I wish I had continued but unfortunately that didn't happen. I wish that drinking, smoking, & eating wasn't so expensive & bad for you. I quit drinking 2 yrs ago and smoking a little over a year ago. I miss them both ... alot. Next up is going back on a diet again.

amylou321 thanked Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
  • Chi
    4 years ago

Thanks Zalco and Ladydi! I have quite a bit to lose so I think it's pretty easy to lose quickly in the beginning with water weight and such. But it's still encouraging! I did well over the holidays and only had 3 days where I overate. 2 were when I was baking all the cookies and just had to sample them, and one was my company's holiday party at an amazing restaurant.

I've tried and failed so many plans. I did keto for a month but just couldn't stick with it. Right now i'm just doing 1500 calories a day and I'm not tracking carbs or anything. I still fit in any food I want, which really helps as usually the cravings are what cause me to slip back into my old habits. I'm weighing and tracking everything, which really helps.

The other huge help is that I started doing intermittent fasting. I try to only eat between noon and 6 pm. Skipping breakfast gives me a lot more calories for my lunch and dinner, so I don't feel like I'm dieting. I usually eat a big meal at lunch and then a smaller one in the evening if I'm hungry. It was rough the first week or so as I would get hungry and shaky but now I feel fine.

amylou321 thanked Chi
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First update: I am annoyed.

This first week has been fine. I have been a touch hungry at times, but nothing tragic.

I arrived to work today and was greeted at the door by my day shift counterpart holding a large meatlovers pizza. Apparently, HR felt sorry for us having to work today because of the severe weather we had today and decided to bring everyone pizza. I told her to take it home, since i cant eat it on my diet anyway, and she proceeded to say that if she took it home, she would just bring it back tomorrow to eat, so she left it in our fridge up here. Why Why Why would the same people who just kicked off a company wide weight loss initiative bring pizza to everyone? Don't get me wrong, I AM GRATEFUL for the thought and for free food, BUT I am still annoyed. I have been doing so well,both food and activity wise. I suppose if i give in i can always just eat the toppings and forgo the crust, but I am hoping that it doesn't come to that. I have only been bringing enough food for one shift at a time so i am not tempted to overeat out of boredom or habit, and had planned to stick with that routine for at least a couple weeks until i adapt.

Anyway, thanks for letting me fuss. Now that the bad weather has passed, I am going to go outside and walk. I only need 2600 steps to get 20000 for today. I should be able to get that in a short walk,20 minutes or so. Then I can sit and be lazy until midnight, when i will go back out, weather permitting, and get my 15000 minimum for tomorrow.

• OklaMoni
    4 years ago

Amylou you must have short steps... I walked for 45 minutes and got 5000 steps today.

Maybe I need to re set my fitbit?

Anyhow, I wish you luck.

Moni

amylou321 thanked OklaMoni
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Moni, i think i just walk fast. I always find myself impatiently waiting behind slow people or having to go around people to get where I am going. I want to tell them to PICK IT UP! Anyway,it took about 23 minutes to get those 2600 steps. On average, from 0 to 15000 steps takes me about 130-135 minutes.

• Chi
    4 years ago

I guess I don't really see anything wrong with bringing pizza. Only those doing low carb would have a problem, but I can easily fit a few pieces into my daily calories since I just count calories. I eat pizza a few times a week.

amylou321 thanked Chi
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can always just eat the toppings and stick to the low carb diet I am on. I often eat pepperoni,wrapped around string cheese and dipped into warmed homemade pizza sauce. But if I eat the toppings off of it, it would throw my original plan for today off....

For the record, while I am focusing on carbs,I am also mindful of calories. I bring the food I am going to eat or the ingredients to make it with those values in mind. An unexpected (and absolutely appreciated,for the thought) whole large pizza is more difficult to resist in my first week of changing my eating habits than it would be maybe a month from now,when it becomes more routine. I guess I just sound like an ungrateful brat. I just want to succeed.

I had the same trouble last time I started a diet and was suddenly beset with an office full of chocolate chip chewy granola bars, chips, fruit, and various types of cookies.

• Chi
    4 years ago

You don't sound like a brat. People have different triggers/temptations and I can understand where moderation might be hard with a large amount of pizza available. I only make single serving sizes for myself for that reason!

amylou321 thanked Chi
  • OklaMoni
    4 years ago

Nope, not a brat... but the management was insensitive, to bring that in, right after a weight loss challenge got started!

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Official week 1 update: Down 4 pounds.

Less than I was expecting because usually my first week of low carb is around twice that loss due to the loss of water weight. But I'll take it.

7 or so weeks to go...

4 years ago

Awesome Amylou! How did your partner do?

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I haven't seen or spoken to her today,so I am not sure. I will see her in the morning and will ask her. I understand she had a couple family birthdays to celebrate and there was cake.......

4 years ago

That sucks.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Four pounds is great. Imagine what four pounds of meat looks like. That is a good amount.

amylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • lisa_fla
    4 years ago

Wishing you good luck in the contest! I don’t like partnering. It doesn’t seem fair to me. Although it would motivate me to be held accountable for every bite. I joined the YMCA in February. No dieting. I went to a mini health fair n September and I had lost 10 lbs. I haven’t weighed since but my shorts are getting baggy. This is great-eat what I want , lose weight, lower blood pressure, and optimal cholesterol. I’m enjoying the classes and go 3 days per week.

amylou321 thanked lisa_fla
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am not really a fan of partnering either. She asked me and i had no reason to say no. I am honestly confused as to why this is a team thing anyway, but whatever, I am in it now and will do my best. I assume that most people work better in teams with someone to be accountable to. I am not sure I am one of those people. No one holds me more accountable than I do. It's no big deal though. Individual or team, my own weight loss will only benefit me in the grand scheme of things. If being on a team will help her, I am here for it.

To the companies credit, there will be individual benefits to doing it. They offer a wellness program and anyone who individually loses 5% of their body weight will get reward points for it in the wellness program. Those that lose 10
    % will get double the points. And everyone who loses 5% will be entered into a drawing for a $200 gift card.

This morning, i was in the middle of walking to get my 15000 steps when the other night minion called me to chat. He often does that on his off nights to help him stay awake so he can sleep the next day. Anyway, by the time we got done yakking i had over 17000 steps. So i burned a couple extra calories. And now my feet are not speaking to me.

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Second official update:

I did not lose any weight this week. Not a pound. Not half a pound. Nothing. I am TRULY shocked. I have logged every bite of food,and kept it within both my carb and calorie limits. I suppose I will have to revisit and revise those values,even though they produced the desired results the first week.I have been very active. I am very sad and annoyed and discouraged.

I know that weight depends more on diet than anything else. But this should be worth a little bit. Half a pound maybe? Clearly not. I hate this.

• llitm
    4 years ago

Yes, but four pounds the first week is quite a lot. Can you not look at this as a competition but a lifestyle change that you can commit to for life? I think "diets" and fitness routines that you do for a competition aren't a healthy approach. I think it can set you up for short term gain but long term failure. I'd chuck the competition and make daily changes that you can live with, perhaps small (maybe very, very small) in the beginning and gradually building on them. JMHO.

amylou321 thanked llitm
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Amy, that happens sometimes during a diet. It's as if the body has noticed something's up and decides to hold onto the weight as long as it possibly can. Then after some time goes by, and if the dieter doesn't give up, the body lets go of those pounds. Keep up the good work and I'll bet you'll see a loss at the next weigh-in.

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • OklaMoni
    4 years ago

Amy I think you did fantastic! Nothing gained... :) Yippee!

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Amy, don't get discouraged. You may find a big weight loss next week. 1 -2 lbs. week is the norm. You lost 4 lbs. the first week and may find yourself losing 3 lbs next week. You are still way ahead of the game.

4 years ago

Many years back I went on the Dr Atkins diet. Weeks went by and just when I was going to throw in the towel the weight just dropped off. Not just that, the inches as well. Now, if I could just get up the willpower to do it again ... sigh!!!

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am not going to give up. At all.

I am just feeling sorry for myself I guess. All that planning and work and deprivation for what?!?!?! NOTHING!!!

Oh well. I am still at it. I am going out in 30 minutes(work permitting) to get my 15000 steps for tommorow. I am sticking to the diet and have been in ketosis since the day after I started. (Again,fat lot of good its done me) I will see if I make any progress in a week.....

• Chi
    4 years ago

Are you eating enough? That's a lot of exercise.

amylou321 thanked Chi
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes. I think I am. Fact is, I have been walking that much daily for almost a year now. I started in october 2018 with 10000 steps right at midnight and then whatever other steps I get during the day as a bonus. Not long after that I went up to 15000 steps right at midnight then whatever after that as a bonus. It's a 2 hour and 15 minute walk daily,either outside at work or at home on my treadmill at a 10% incline. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months combining that with the EXACT same eating plan as I am doing now. I guess it is just going to keep getting harder to get the weight off.

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

I can't be much help in the weight loss category. After losing 60 pounds I have maintained this weight for 10 years. I have not been able to lose any more weight and I could stand to lose another 20 lbs. My hypoglycemia makes it so that I can't reduce my calories any further. It also means I have to maintain a tightwalk balance between exercise and eating or I have a hypoglycemic reaction.

In general my weight fluctuates about 10 lbs.

Also I do not work nights.

I found an interesting read about working nights and how it might impact weight loss and general health. I don't know if you can glean any wisdom from it but I thought I would post it anyway.

https://www.eatthis.com/night-shift-weight-loss/

amylou321 thanked yeonassky
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, the on site nurse at my job and a couple doctors have told me that my night minion status would make it harder for me to lose weight. I feel better after reading that though,as I already do MOST of what they said to do. I do get 7-9 hours sleep a day with no problem,its still dark when i get home,i have blackout curtains,i take a hot shower before i go to bed,i only bring the food I "budget" for with me to work,etc.. Night shift work is not a hardship on me as it is for many people. On the contrary, I prefer it and if I have to work a day shift,it completely drains my energy and it is very difficult for me to exercise on those days and I feel like I never get enough rest to work a day shift. Also, when I work during the day, i am HUNGRY the whole day,no matter how much I eat,i am still hungry. Weird,I know. On my off days I tend to keep normal people hours, in order to accommodate SO and also so that I can get normal things done. Regarding that,have I ever told the story of when we lived at our old house in a subdivision? I tended to keep the same sleep schedule on my off nights and would do activities that are typically done during the day,including gardening. The neighbors called the cops on us one night, as they were convinced,no doubt because of the hours I chose to tend to my plants,that I was growing cannabis plants. This was before the neighborhood went to heck,and people cared. Imagine my surprise when I was tying my tomato plants to some new,taller stakes in our backyard,and otherwise minding my own doggone business,and I turned around to flashing lights,angry screaming cops and guns in my face. Donkeys. I suppose my midnight garden puttering was too odd to be ignored. So glad I live out in the boonies now,where I can stake my mater plants in peace.

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The results are in!

Well, not really. My team results are in. The contest results will be announced later this month.

Me and my teammate went to weigh out today. I met her in the parking lot where she proceeded to tell me that she does not think she lost very much,because people are making her so stressed out over the coronavirus that she has been stress eating. Alrightly then. How about we just go and see before we give up? Happy thoughts teammate. Think happy thoughts.

I lost 17 pounds! Whoop WHOOP!

She lost 6. Yay!

She was pretty down. I had to there there her the whole time. We were getting our bloodwork and physicals done for the wellness program as well and so were over there for a little while. She was beating herself up because,basically,she didnt beat me. Especially as she has had gastric sleeve surgery,and therefore should have crushed me......

I was proud of both of us. A loss is a loss, which is a gain. (Ooooooo....deep)

I finally told her that 6 pounds off your behind is better than 6 pounds on it, and that the end of the contest is NOT the end of her weight loss potential,as long as she continues to make an effort. I guess she felt better. After I left and she went back to work, she sent me a picture of a box of girl scout cookies. Tagalongs. The text accompanying the picture was that she was SO happy to be able to eat without guilt. I can't even be mad. I stopped by Krispy Kreme and got 2 of me and SOs favorite doughnuts,the chocolate filled. One for him,one for me. I haven't had a Faturday (cheat day) since the contest started. So I will eat my doughnut as my little cheat, then back on the wagon,as I still have some weight to lose.

The results for both the weight loss contest and the team name contest will be announced on the 23rd. I have asked around and no one (in my very HUMBLE opinion) had come up with a name even half as clever as hounds came up with for my team name. So fingers crossed we will win that one!

Go team Pair-a-Thighs Lost!!

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Amy, congratulations.

As a WW lifetime member i emphasize with you. It really is the commitment to the journey. It’s a shame your partner wasn’t as committed as you.

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

Congratulations, Amy, on losing 17 pounds! That's a significant amount to lose. Too bad your partner was more into cheat eating than losing, especially since she has had weight loss surgery! At least she didn't gain weight!

Why is the company waiting 10 more days to announce the contest results?

amylou321 thanked Lindsey_CA
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! I guess the delay is because they need to do the math. Add every teams totals up,then figure out percentages. The team that loses the biggest percentage is the winner. There were 64 teams or something like that. Then they have to prepare the announcement and yada yada yada.....

I dont know who picks the team name contest winner. They always keep those people anonymous,I guess so they wont get flack for it. Silly.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

You did great Amy........As for your partner, 6 lbs. lost is better than 6 lbs. gained so as I see it, she's 12 lbs. ahead. :-))))

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Congratulations, Amy! You rock the dieting! Enjoy your donut reward!

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

You lost 17 lbs! Congratulations!

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

17 pounds! Well done. Congratulations to you and your team mate.

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

You did well, and you can rest easy you did all you could to motivate your teammate. Congratulations!

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • lisa_fla
    4 years ago

Congratulations, you did great! Your Partner did pretty good all things considered. I remember a while back reading about a weight loss app. Somehow you earned money for losing weight and I think pay if you didn’t. I think you would do great with that if you need some motivation.

amylou321 thanked lisa_fla
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

WOW, Amy! Congratulations! 17 pounds in two month's time is something to be really proud of. Your partner's weight loss wasn't too shabby either considering it didn't sound like she was terribly motivated. Good job by both of you!

I haven't forgotten about the earrings either... ;-)

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • joyfulguy
    4 years ago

Congratulations on achieving your personal goal, amylou, and to have encouraged your somewhat uncertainly motivated partner.

Your partner's now "... SO happy to be able to eat without guilt"!

So she got her gut cut ... and is unable to follow through with anything approximating a commitment to a comparably drastic commitment in daily life.

ole joyful ... who's been (undesiredly) losing weight - part of the process of aging: how many fat centenarians does one encounter? (Or just too unwise/lazy to cook appropriately?)

amylou321 thanked joyfulguy
  • sjerin
    4 years ago

Congratulations, Amylou!

amylou321 thanked sjerin
    4 years ago

Fabulous Amy. I would be delighted to do so well.

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Alright. Final update. I guess they got the results tallied sooner than they thought they would and they announced them today.

We got nothing.

The winner of the weight loss portion of it was a father/daughter team. Their team name was "Die Lards."

The winner of the team name contest was "The Fat and the Furious."

I am calling BS.

Overall, the people who participated lost 1209 pounds total. So yay for that. But still,I feel like we were ROBBED!!!

oh well. There is always next year.....

• eld6161
    4 years ago

How much did the father/ daughter team lose to win?

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They didn't say,which i thought was rather ODD.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH