SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

My ThreadUp experience

l pinkmountain
4 years ago

So I'm finished with my ThreadUp experience so I figured I'd review it for anyone who is thinking about using this company. Let me start by saying I will most likely NOT ever use them again.

The stuff was packed and shipped well. Most was in good shape, as described. I ordered 8 items. Three black wool skirts in a size up since I have gained weight, to replace the one I have. I wasn't sure which one would fit and look the best. Five blue sweaters to go with some shirts and items I already have.

I ended up keeping three items. One of the skirts (the others were way too small, even though they were a size up from my current size). Two sweaters, both of which are fairly high style but neither of which really go all that well with the shirts I bought them to go with, so nothing really gained for utility in my closet.

One of the sweaters had a strong perfume personal odor smell. Luckily I was able to get that out by soaking in vinegar and then washing with unscented detergent. The sweater is cotton/rayon, thin and even with mildly warm water the color runs. I can't see this item being a workhorse in my wardrobe, although it is stylish. I just don't see it wearing well, particularly if I end up hand washing it a lot.

The other two items (the skirt and a cotton jacket) also had the "thrift" smell but nothing overpowering. I think I can wash the jacket because it is cotton, and the wool skirt might air out. I hate to pay for dry cleaning something thrift right out of the box, since that kinda negates the initial low price. The jacket is cute, still had a "Talbots" tag on it.

The other items were all too small. I'm sort of between M and L, and I think a lot of folks are, so that means you often gain a few lbs. and something in your wardrobe that was a "M" no longer fits, or it shrinks just a tad too much upon first washing. You probably didn't wear it that much and it's a good candidate for a closet clean out. So I would err on the side of getting things in an "L" for future purchases if I was ever going to make one, since I think items on ThreadUp likely run small.

Now comes the real kicker. The return window is so small and it was over the holidays, it was hectic and I had a lot on my plate so I missed it. So I ended up paying $145 for a thin practically disposable cardigan, a fairly nice jacket from Talbots, and a used but OK wool skirt. And the rest is going to my local Goodwill. Hardly a bargain and definitely not worth the trouble of the whole experience. It was pretty much like thrift store shopping, with an added time and effort of packing up and sending back with a trip to the post office asap. More selection perhaps, but I still had to wade through pages and pages of photos of offering, same as wading through rack after rack at a thrift store, looking for the one or two items that are perfect for you. So for me, the time invested was not worth it for ThreadUp.

I'm still looking for some good online stores where I can shop for good fitting, well made basics for my wardrobe, but as for thrift, I'll stick to my circuit of local Goodwill stores. I think the ThreadUp idea might be nice for a chain of used clothing stores, with national curation and warehousing, but I don't have enough disposable income to make the risk worth it for the online experience.

Comments (14)