SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_832837139

Mohawk Revwood Plus - Pros and Cons - My Experience

A L
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So, I ended up getting new flooring. Mohawk Revwood Plus in Buckhorn Pine. I previously had carpet and cream ceramic tile, which I hated, because you could see every hair and every speck of dirt on the tile. I went with a rustic look, which I really like.

I originally had planned to go with faux wood tile with black grout. I'm a bit OCD and I've seen what happens if you don't use dark grout. However, every place I went to pushed LVP or high quality laminate - probably because I expressed my dislike of scratches or imperfections. Originally, I feared that it would cheapen my house, but apparently, it’s being installed in a lot of new builds, including some higher end homes here in Phoenix. It’s just myself, my girlfriend, and our two little Chihuahuas, so I’m not really worried much about the durability. Just something that looks nice and is relatively easy to care for. If the dogs have an accident, I no longer freak out like I did when it happened on the carpet. Plus, the floor, along with the new 4.5" baseboards, just give my home a more "modern" feel that I've always wanted. I haven't done the upstairs yet, as that will come next year due to the high cost of the project.

I did find two scratches across two planks in one of the bathrooms. Extremely subtle and hard to notice, but my eagle eye caught them one evening. This was a bit concerning given Mohawk's marketing of scratch resistance. I contacted Mohawk and they were very surprised by this. I’m pretty sure that it was caused from the tools that the installers were using, as I have done nothing that would cause it myself. Anyway, the owner is going to order a new box and replace the two planks for me. Mohawk could’ve got them replaced under warranty, but he said it would just be easier if he just ordered a new box and replaced them at no charge. I put felt pads under every piece of furniture, including furniture that I won’t even move, so I’ve taken all of the necessary precautions to ensure that nothing like that ever happens under my watch.

For the most part, I really like the floor. Once I learned that an old school mop and bucket aren't necessary (or recommended) and realized I can just vacuum and spray/mop with a Bona mop, maintenance is pretty easy. I did have to add a giant throw rug to my living room because of the echo from my sound system, but I pretty much solved that. I did a spot experiment with a Bona laminate polish, which a lot of people love, but I felt the gloss on a rustic shade looks fake and very plastic-like. Best to stick with just a matte look, as it just comes off as more natural.

While it definitely looks like wood, I don’t really think it feels like it when you walk barefoot. It’s obviously laminate, which becomes even more apparent when you hear the dogs walking on it. But I kind of knew this just from messing around with the samples. All of the LVPs I looked at felt exactly the same.

Anyway, one of the things that I’ve noticed is that there are a few corners in the house that when you press down on the planks, it makes a squishy sound and moves slightly. While 99% of the floor feels completely solid, there are a few corners that just kind of almost “cushion“ down whenever you press on them. There’s also a popping sound when you step on a little area under my island sink in the kitchen. When I brought this to the attention of the owner, he told me that this is normal for floating floors and it’s just one of the downsides of it. I thought this was interesting, because the areas that I found that have that movement aren’t really areas that I would ever step on regularly, if at all. I only discovered the spots when I was doing an intense cleaning because of all of the dust from the install. If these spots were on areas that received frequent foot traffic, it would drive me completely insane.

When I tried to research, I read a lot of people saying that those cushioned spots and popping are because of improper installation and that the floor was not grinded down enough in those spots. Other articles claim that it might "settle" over time and to not worry with it. This is kind of what the owner told me. He said that it might settle over time - but it might not. And that's just how a floating floor is. I didn't even have to tell him it was in corners. He said, "It's probably in a corner, right?" so I'm guessing I'm not the first one to ask him that question.

For those of you who have similar flooring, have you noticed this with yours and is it something that I should address a little more aggressively about having them fix or should I just let it go? I can’t really tell if the owner is just trying to convince me that it’s normal so he doesn’t have to have his crew come out and fix those spots or is it just simply the way a floating floor is?

Comments (17)