SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_ladenson

Attic, roof white mold? Wet nails?

James Ladenson
4 years ago

Hi,
We live in northern New England where the summers are pretty hot and winters are cold. We have a hip-style, 2 story house. Shingled roof. The peak has a ridge vent. We have two bathroom vents that vent out through the roof.

I went up into the attic to check something and I noticed that on the north and east side of the roof plywood is white fuzzy looking mold. Most of the nails are dripping water. Not all of the bays have this white stuff, some do, some it's in one area, some it's 3/4 of the bay up to the ridge and some don't have it at all.

I have 2 - 3 layers of insulation up there, rolls, not blow in. All of the lights, fans, etc, are sealed by either a foam boxed around them or caulked, the attic entry as a foiled faced insulated tent around it. The attic is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Each bay has the styrafoam baffles that go down to the perforated soffit and about about 1/2 about the bays~. If I look down the baffles, I can see light. Under the baffles, installation is crammed up against them. I did remove some that looked too tight.

Some people are saying to block the soffit completely but I had always thought that is not a good idea.

Any advice on what I should do? I am very concerned with this.

I'm not sure that I've noticed this stuff before. The house is about 14 years old.

Comments (5)