SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humoody

Strongly fragrant all year blooming plants for Zone 10+?

Mohamed Shawqi
4 years ago

I live in Bahrain (with a hot humid climate similar to Zone 10/11 F|orida and Miami) yet with no frost.

I have Rangoon Creeper, Arabian Sambacs, Aloysias and Plumerias which bloom year round intermittently with an enchanting fragrance that can fill the area.

I am currently planning for new areas in the garden and would need advise from people for fragrant plants that bloom for long periods during the year and have a strong fragrance that can fill the whole area.

1. I have looked up the plants below, would they bloom intermittently in my region? Can anyone who grow any of these let me know their advise on the below:

• Osmanthus fragrans: Which one of them is the longest blooming ? I smelled this before in New Zealand and it was a special memory for me really and would love to grow it here but unsure which osmanthus to ask the nurseries for. I have read people in Florida growing it successfully with year round blooming but unclear which Osmanthus they had.
  • Day blooming brunfelsias
  • Buddleia
  • Brugmansias
  • Ylang Ylang: Cananga Odorata
  • Ylang Ylang: Artabotrys hexapetalus
  • Michelia Champaca
  • Ixora Odorata
  • Tarenna Odorata
  • Melodorum/Rauwenhoffia siamensis
  • Melodorum fruticosum "White Cheese Wood"
  • Hedychium gardnerianum
  • Hedychium coronarium

2. Plants recently purchased: The ones in below are actually plants I do have and just recently purchased weeks ago, but I am not sure where to place them as I would need to ensure to have a blooming fragrant plant in each area of the garden and not to have a mixed fragrance. Will these plants bloom intermittently in my area?

• Lonicera Japonica Halliana
  • Michelia Alba
  • Brunfelsia Americana/Nitidia/Lactea. unsure which one but the one I have got it is white flowered and turns yellow and is strongly scented at night only.
  • Fiddlewood: Citharexylum spinosum
  • Stephanotis 'Madagascar Jasmine'
  • Jasmine Nitidium

3. What are your other recommendations for plants that bloom for long periods in my region and can fill the area with it's strong fragrance?

Comments (3)