SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylorjonl

Flower garden in 900 sq. ft. area for all year bloom

I am planning out a 900 sq. ft. flower bed that is my project this year. Preferably it will be a constant source of food for pollinators. Also I am hoping to get some color early in the year.

This is the area(the area in the center in the concrete edging):

I found some inspiration with this photo, that uses Graph Hyacinths, Daffodils and Tulips:

From that I came up with this initial plan:

From my calculations I will have:

450 sq. ft. of Graph Hyacinths

350 sq. ft. of Daffodils

115 sq. ft. of Tulips

That means around:

9000 Graph Hyacinths @20 per sq. ft.

3500 Daffodils @10 per sq. ft.

575 Tulips @5 per sq. ft.

Lots of bulbs.

On top of that I want to plant Crocus in the spots with Daffodils and Tulips, that is 465 sq. ft. of Crocus, or 4650 @10 per sq. ft. Is this a good idea? From my brief experience of planting Crocus and Daffodils/Tulips in my yard, the Crocus are done blooming by the time the Daffodils/Tulips are towering them.

If I am planting Crocus and another bulb, do I reduce density?

These flowers will get me into late spring? So I need to figure out what to do from late spring to frost.

I was thinking of seeding some dwarf Shasta Daisies where the Grape Hyacinth is, so those areas will transition from purple to white. I love Shasta Daisies, they seem to come up in May in my area and bloom into late summer. Great performers...

In the middle of the Shasta Daisies I was going to plant 3 Butterfly Bushes, two are already established in that area, just need to plant a third.

In the area where the Tulips are growing, I was thinking of planting some Alliums, but those only go to early summer?

I was thinking of planting some Bee Balm in the areas where the Daffodils are. In the past I grew these and the bees loved them, plus they were gorgeous. Another option that may be harder to establish but the Monarch butterflies will love is some Butterfly Weed.

Some other notable options are Gayfeathers and Coneflowers.

Finally, the plan is to control the weeds until fall, then till, mix in 4-6 inches of compost and then plant/seed.

Comments (11)