SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

What Will Cooking Forum Be Talking About In 2040?

John Liu
4 years ago

Do you think we'll be cooking and eating quite different things in 20 years? Will we be exchanging tips for preparing imitation meat, debating the merits of seaweed-soy flour, krill rice, herring sashimi? Will ordinary folks be eating mostly vegetarian diets, with bluefin tuna and prime rib a memory? Will "cooking" mean something different than it does today?

I grew up on science fiction stories where everyone ate some version of soylent, or maybe each other. I don't think many literary versions of the future have much place for roast rack of lamb, thick ribeye steaks, deep red tuna loins.

But we (most of us) actually grew up in a period when food is more varied and available than ever. Grapes in December, ahi a thousand miles from the ocean, artisanal craft food imported from far off countries, a hundred cheeses at any grocery store, all sorts of exotic or ethnic foods, it is pretty amazing.

Is this going to last? In 2040 I'll probably still be alive, my kids will be middle aged, hopefully there will some grandkids. What will they cook and eat?

Comments (17)