SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txskeeter_gw

Powdered vanilla?

TXSkeeter
4 years ago

Have some Ukrainian friends who, every so often, ask me to help look for certain food items (locally) that she used in their country but can't seem to find locally (DFW area). Last time it was celery root which is apparently a somewhat common item, just not in the half dozen grocery stores we checked (Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, etc.) One produce manager did say though that celery root was a seasonal item and while he ordered it on a somewhat regular basis, it was rare that he actually received it from his supplier.

This time, she's looking for powdered vanilla in the blond or colorless version for some type of holiday bread she's baking. Gave us a loaf of the bread using standard vanilla extract and quite honestly, I don't see that it could be improved much by using a colorless vanilla as its quite tasty as is.

After doing a bit of research since I'd never heard of the product, found more reviews and comments saying to use the real stuff (extract) rather than the colorless product since the latter seems to be mostly maltodextrin or other "carrier" with little to no actual vanilla bean in it. Interesting...

Do any of you bakers use powdered vanilla and if so, for what end product(s) and why powdered rather than the standard liquid extract? At this point, I'm just curious...

Comments (12)