SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Some Eggy Observations........

Because I've been cooking with a lot of eggs recently - holiday baking, quiches/frittatas, custards, etc. - I've come to some observable conclusions regarding sizing. In the US, eggs are graded by weight: pee wees (which I have never seen or heard of before now) being the lightest and jumbos the heaviest. For many years I have purchased and used only jumbo eggs, as the majority just get cooked and eaten as eggs. And although they say size - or in this case weight - matters when using the eggs in other cooking or baking, I have never found using the larger size made any noticeable difference. However if a recipe calls for 3 large eggs, I might reduce that to just 2 jumbos. And the price of jumbo eggs is only marginally higher than of extra large or even large eggs.

But recently, supplies of the jumbos have been cleared out by the time I hit the grocery so I've subbed extra large in their place. Visually, they look almost identical to jumbos in size, which themselves are not of uniform size...some bigger, some smaller. Found out it is the actual weight of the carton of a dozen eggs that determines the grade rather than just the individual egg itself I am sure there is an automated system that evaluates all this but it does make one wonder exactly how they get sorted by the producer.

And what is inside the shell varies a lot as well. Some have big fat yolks and not so much white; others have lots of white and smaller yolks. And one is just as likely to find double yolkers in a carton of extra large as you find with the jumbos. While they say the chance of a double yolked egg is only 1 in a 1000, I recently had a carton of jumbos where every one was a double yolked egg! I was amazed

Comments (24)