SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

Earth berm house in Alabama? Tell me why I should or shouldn't.

I have been dreaming about earth bermed home building for about 2 years, but I only just today read that clay soils and humid climates are not ideal (or are perhaps even completely out of the question) for earth bermed houses. I read that dry climates with huge temperature swings are ideal.

You have no idea how disappointed I am after reading that, and I'm just wondering if I need to bury this dream, or if it's still an option. We do get extreme temperatures here throughout the year, with extreme heat in summer but also below freezing temperatures a few times in the winter. We also frequently experience wild (IMO) temperature fluctuations between night and daytime, and within a 12-hour cycle. I am defining "wild" to mean that in the same 12-hour cycle, we will need to run both the heater and the air conditioner. To me, this is nuts. And it creates discomfort and high heating and cooling costs.

We get a lot of humidity as well. I live in southern Alabama. I'm above the water table though. The soil is mostly clay.

I would love to build an above-grade home that had berms on two sides, with the landscaping sloped away from the home on all four sides of the home. But I'm wondering if this is wise considering all the above. Bermed homes are prone to moisture issues, and clay soils are prone to moisture retention and expansion and contraction, which would increase the chances of cracks forming in the concrete, which could lead to water leakage/moisture problems.

So, should I move on and bury this dream? Or are there things I can do in the design to mitigate the humidity and clay soil factors? If I need to move on from this, what can I do instead? I'm not fond of the usual forced air systems, window units, etc because these things will still cost me a lot of money in heating and cooling in this climate. What comfortable / economical alternatives are there for this climate?

Comments (24)

Sponsored