SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengems

Gasteria growing well, but discovered its in highly acidic potting mix

4 years ago

Just as the post says. I have a beautiful Gasteria nigrican var. mamorata f. variegata. It is growing great as far as I can tell there are no problems.

I did a random test pH test that shows highly acidic potting medium. The water was neutral prior to watering the plant. I tested the waste water twice. I use a liquid with drops test. (Root Farms pH test kit.) It only gives me colours the colour prior to testing was light green neutral, but afterwards it came out fairly bright orange which would be in the low 5s possibly 4s.

This plant should be in our all-purpose succulent blend, Arid Complete, which I added some of our Arid Extra Dry for Lithops, Haworthia,..., because it's a Gasteria. The Arid Complete would have Dolomite, but the Arid Extra Dry with 90% Grit & 10% Bark does not. The pH for Arid Complete is acidic, even with the Dolomite, but not highly acidic. So, the extra bark from the Arid Extra Dry must have pushed the pH down.

Should I care? I see no problems with the plant. It might grower slower than my other Gasteria, but that's to be expected from a plant that is highly variegated. Even though I see no problems with the plant, a plant can only be as healthy as the potting mix it is living in.

I could topdress the plant with some unwashed shale rock. It has a very high ph. I usually wash it before I add it to the mix. The 4" pot is too small to add dolomite. I do not want to repot it, because other than the PH this mix is exactly what I want. What guess I will use just the Arid Extra Dry. Even though it does not have dolomite, it is never highly acidic, being 90% grit.

The plant reminds me of his mate, the rhinoceros, it's slow, short, fat, and grey.

You can see most of what is in this blend,

Perlite, Scoria (Lava Grow), Pumice, Calcined Clay (Turface), Ground Bark , Bark , Worm Castings, Peat, Shale, Diatomaceous Earth, Dolomite, Beneficial Microbes

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!