SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sulu

Continued Issues with Bosch Double Ovens---HELP please!

mom2sulu
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am hoping that I am not double posting since this was already on here a few minutes ago and then disappeared—the website seems extremely glitchy today.

So to recap:

Purchased Bosch 800 Double Ovens summer 2015:

While they did "bake," it was uneven where I have to rotate my pans. I didn't like it, but I could deal with it.

Fall 2018--

Major issue began--losing temperature while baking--I would just realize it wasn't hot anymore. I would switch to the bottom oven--it would hold temperature for awhile and then also lose heat. Weird thing--it is sporadic. I would have 6 days that it would work and then on the 7th, it would start this all over. Sometimes the bottom would heat up, sometimes not, to save me. Occasionally I could change temps or baking modes in the top and then it would work. But overall, it would work more than it wouldn't, but I never knew what I would get.

--Called in Bosch approved technician--very professional, but baffled by issue due to no diagnostic warnings that showed up and, of course, it worked normally while he was here. He called Bosch directly and together, he and the Bosch technician decided that it was to do with the "brains" of the oven and $600 or so later (outside of my warranty :( he installed a new "motherboard/keypad."

--October 2018

--I had the same issues within a week. Technician came back. He called Bosch--and they said, again, motherboard issue. I was confounded because how could the new board be bad? Quality control issues?? Anyway, because this motherboard was new, this one was covered by warranty, so it only cost us $165 to have a 2nd motherboard put in. I was skeptical that it would work. The technician advised me to purchase an inside oven thermometer to watch my temps so I did. Surprisingly, the oven did work until Thanksgiving of this year so maybe it is a motherboard issue? (However, I have to point out that I am a light cook and that oven wasn't really used beyond heating up breakfast rolls and baking cookies much this year.)

Thanksgiving week 2019

--Same issues, heat failing again. Again, I tried all modes. It would heat up, then lose heat. It took a lot of messing with the oven for an hour and a half to get my Thanksgiving dressing baked. I have to admit I was pretty angry Thanksgiving day. It was great to have the inside thermometer because it did reveal that the heat was always 100-150 degrees too low. It failed three times that week, but it is now working just fine…or so it seems. I haven’t baked anything over an hour.

Bosch Customer Service

My first attempt was through email and disappointing. I basically was asking if they knew of issues with the motherboard or if it could be something else because I didn't want to keep fixing something that wouldn't work, or would just work for a limited amount of time. I also questioned that they had diagnosed it correctly if it is still failing? I received a form response back saying they couldn't do anything without a diagnosis. Sigh, that's the problem, people.

Second attempt-- phone call. The man I spoke to was sympathetic and professional and passed all my concerns, issues to his manager for review. The manager's response was that they will give us 20% off the new parts needed but that we again need a diagnosis. Double sigh.

Summation

So here we are. What do we do?

1. Cut our losses and move on. New brand, new ovens—not Bosch obviously.
  2. Continue to try to salvage these ovens. They were $2,700 new and we have already put in close to another thousand. I’m guessing we will be looking at another $600-800 to repair them again.
  3. Overall, it was just a disappointing experience with Bosch. I was hoping they would recognize that we are going around in circles here. I don’t really think the diagnosis has ever been accurate. I mean three motherboards failing in about a year’s time? Doesn’t make sense to me and according to the reviews out there, it doesn’t seem that others are having this issue. Also, we have followed Bosch's directions on what to do/repair. If they can't get it right, who can?

Thank you for reading this lengthy post. I welcome any thoughts/suggestions/advice. :)

Comments (21)