SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sulu

Issues with Bosch 800 Double Ovens--Where to go from here?

mom2sulu
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am in need of some advice regarding my Bosch 800 Double Ovens. I will try to bullet point as much as possible to avoid being too wordy (which will probably prove impossible.)

--Purchased summer 2015

--Worked "fine" although baking/browning is uneven--I have to rotate my pans in the last ten minutes on most things because only one side browns.

--Sept. 2018--

Major issue began--losing temperature while baking--I would just realize it wasn't hot anymore. I would switch to the bottom oven--it would hold temperature for awhile and then it would also lose heat. Weird thing--it is sporadic. I would have 6 days that it would work and then on the 7th, it would start this all over. Sometimes the bottom would heat up, sometimes not, to save me. Occasionally I could change temps or baking modes in the top and then it would work. But overall, it would work more than it wouldn't, but I never knew what I would get.

--Called in Bosch approved technician--very professional, but baffled by issue due to no diagnostic warnings that showed up and, of course, it worked normally while he was here. He called Bosch directly and together, he and the Bosch technician decided that it was to do with the "brains" of the oven and $600 or so later (outside of my warranty :( he installed a new "motherboard/keypad."

--October 2018

--I had the same issues within a week. Technician came back. He called Bosch--and they said, again, motherboard issue. I was confounded because how could the new board be bad? Quality control issues?? Anyway, because this motherboard was new, this one was covered by warranty, so it only cost us $165 to have a 2nd motherboard put in. I was skeptical that it would work. The technician advised me to purchase an inside oven thermometer to watch my temps so I did. Surprisingly, it did work until Thanksgiving this year so maybe it is a motherboard issue. (However, I have to point out that I am a light cook and that oven wasn't really used beyond heating up breakfast rolls and baking cookies much this year.)

Thanksgiving week 2019

--Same issues, heat failing again. Again, I tried all modes. It would heat up, then lose heat. It took a lot of messing with the oven for an hour and a half to get my Thanksgiving dressing baked. I was very thankful to have the inside thermometer. It confirmed that the temp was 100-150 degrees lower than it should be. I have to admit I was pretty angry Thanksgiving day and really hated my ovens.

Bosch Customer Service

-My first attempt disappointed me. I wrote an email, explaining the situation. I said that I'm not really sure that the technician and Bosch technician have even diagnosed the problem accurately; I mean could the motherboard really fail three times?? I was asking if there was any history to this problem with other customers. Basically I got a form response saying that they can't do anything unless I get a diagnosis. Hello? That is the issue, people.

--I then made a phone call. The man was sympathetic and professional; he took all the information and passed it to his manager. Yesterday, I received a response from him saying that the manager is willing to give us a 20% discount on any parts we need but they need a diagnosis first. I am disappointed again.

Summation

If you have made it this far through my lengthy post, thank you!

So basically, I have two ovens that cost $2700--they lasted for 3 years before major issues although I wasn't thrilled with them prior. I have already put close to $1000 in, and I still have the same issues.

Do I cut my losses? Purchase new ovens--obviously not Bosch. :) (Side note: I have had two Bosch dishwashers and love them!)

I am disappointed that Bosch doesn't recognize that I have a lemon. If you look at reviews, everyone seems to have great experiences with their 800 series double ovens. They seem to bake evenly and no one mentions anything big. I also saw that one person said they had a five year warranty with it--from a big box company-- I don't understand how they got that?

I cannot see myself going back down the same path as last year with the replacing of the motherboard. How many motherboards will it take to fix it, or is really not an issue with that? To me, that is just lipstick on a pig.

Any thoughts or suggestions are gladly welcomed.

Thanks for listening. :)

Comment (1)