SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Soooo, does this get under your skin?

glenda_al
4 years ago

It really irks me, especially at the Y, when looking for a parking spot. I put my blinker on when I see someone getting in their car, BUT they sit, talk on the phone, fix their makeup, etc. Finally I move on and just as I do they back out. grrrrr

Comments (32)

• Louiseab
    4 years ago

Oh, my husband I hate this too! Especially as I am handicapped now and need to use the stalls close to the entrances. Another pet peeve is that after waiting in line to pay for purchases and the person ahead waits until the cashier has rung everything through and then they take out their wallet and suddenly remembers they have a coupon or insist that such and such should have been on sale. Or proceeds to try and use up all the change they have to th penny and so on. Grrr!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Nope. What irks me is when I get in my car the same time as them, but wait for them to pull out so we don't run each other over and they don't go.

• Related Discussions

Bone dry under the skin! Beware July rains!

Q

Comments (6)
    Funny timing on this thread. I just moved some plants around my yard this past week. Last evening I dragged the sprinkler out of the shed. After only 1/2 hour or so the grass around the transplants really perked up. I spent most of the night moving the sprinkler around the yard every few hours. Everything really was too dry, despite some impressive, but short, rainstorms lately.
    ...See More

Glass gets soooo dirty!!

Q

Comments (1)
    It sounds to me your stove needs adjustment. Go to www.hearth.com and ask over there. That's where all the experts are and I guarantee you'll get a good answer.
    ...See More

Does your under-counter oven heat up your countertop?

Q

Comments (6)
    I have never noticed it heating up the counter or the cabinet next to it. It's an Electrolux. I think it must be quite well insulated. After I turn it off, the fan runs for quite a while until it decides it's cool enough to shut off. I do have an instantaneous surface thermometer that I use for other purposes, so maybe I'll collect some data next time I use it! But I can tell you it has not been perceptible so far. And I run my hands across my counters a lot (still haven't worn the "new" off!)
    ...See More

Get Your Skin Checked

Q

Comments (23)
    I'm fair and had my share of sunburns as a kid. I never used a tanning bed though. I regularly see my dermatologist, and especially so after a melanoma diagnosis in April 2014. It was a spot on my back that I couldn't see. After seeing an oncologist and dermatologist every six months for five years, I don't need the every six months screenings. I continue having them though. Melanoma can occur anywhere on the body, not just only skin that has had sun exposure. A friend's husband had an odd growth on the bottom of his foot. His treatment was delayed because of an inaccurate diagnosis. Once he was diagnosed with melanoma, he had surgery, chemo, and radiation, to no avail. He eventually needed to have his foot amputated at the mid-shin level. And a few years ago Jimmy Carter was diagnosed with melanoma - on his brain. He was treated with a drug still in its experimental stage - Keytruda. It obviously successfully treated his cancer, and is now FDA approved. Melanoma attacks melanocytes, of which there are millions in the body. There's also ocular melanoma so be sure to wear sunglasses. When being examined by a dermatologist, everything should be removed. I leave on my underpants, but off with everything else. I want every nook and cranny examined. Check out the Melanoma Research Foundation for more information.
    ...See More
  • joann_fl
    4 years ago

Yes, I hate it. When I see someone is waiting for my spot I try to move quickly

• Chi
    4 years ago

I hate when people wait for my spot, or worse, when they start following me back to my car! I feel like I have to rush out and they always wait so close that I feel like I'm going to hit them backing out.

That's why I avoid busy shopping times.

• ritaweeda
    4 years ago

Man, I can sure tell it's Merry Christmas time! LOL! Hey, all this gets under my skin too, it just makes me laugh when I see that it bothers a bunch of others, too.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago

I must be one of those people who annoys others. If I'm shopping, or at a movie, etc, I haven't checked my phone. I may have had a call that I let go to voice mail. I'll check my phone once I get to my car. I don't drive and talk. If it's something I need to handle right away, I'll sit in my car to deal with it. I've glanced in my rear view mirror and seen the person waiting. Sorry-not sorry - I'm going to sit there as long as it takes.

• lucillle
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I don't drive and talk. If it's something I need to handle right away, I'll sit in my car to deal with it.

Absolutely agree. I no longer drive, but at one time I was a traveling nurse for a few years and one of my bosses gave me a hard time for not answering if I was driving and she called. I still didn't answer her next time.

• Louiseab
    4 years ago

Well, what did we do before we all carry cell phones! I only carry mine in case of an emergency as we live in a remote area.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

If the person is still in the parking spot, I don't concern myself if they have to check their phone or deal with the kids etc. But the half-way out folks who just stay put? Either stay or go..don't leave me hanging!

• Chi
    4 years ago

I do think it's rude to sit in reverse if you don't intend to leave, since that's an indication of intention to leave usually. Just keep it in park till ready to go.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

I agree with Oly. If you feel you must check your phone, pull out of your prime parking spot and park away from the crowd to do your calling or texting if people are waiting to park. It’s a nice thing to do.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Does it bother me? No, not at all. I try to follow the advice "Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff". I don't assume that strangers I encounter in public will be considerate by following the Golden Rule or that any will exercise common sense because it's too often not the case. So when I experience that, it doesn't bother me, it's what I expected. If I experience the opposite, I enjoy it and don't take it for granted.

Talk and drive? Sure. My phone connects automatically to my cars using bluetooth so that I can make and answer calls handsfree (as the law requires) and with a minimum of distraction from driving.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

OMG Glenda, I actually guffawed out loud at the saying on your post.

Sephia - But, do you sit there with your reverse lights on to indicate that you are about to back up - that's the issue.

That happened to me this morning and I finally backed up. As far as I know the person who was parked across from me is still sitting there with their backup lights on.

• Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

I usually park out in the back 40. Unless the parking lot is pretty crowded, I don't have a lot of patience for people pulling up behind me and waiting for my spot. I like to get in the vehicle and get situated before I back out. I may return that phone call that I didn't answer in the store and check any texts so I know if I need to pick someone up. Depending on where I am, I may need to type in an address so I can find my way around town. I like to do all of that while I'm parked and pay attention to my driving when I'm on the road.

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

I try to avoid annoying people when it is already a trying time for many. I have taken to moving out of the way inside of the shopping mall and doing all my texting Etc before I even get to the car.

I also back in as often as possible. This saves me backing out into a dangerous situation.

If I must wait in the parking spot because I am waiting for someone else I always signal that I am not going to anyone who queries me with their eyes or signals me with their car body language. Most appreciate the warning that I am staying but some become angry and frustrated. Note my car is not on and there are no reverse lights on etc.

• Texas_Gem
    4 years ago

I guess I'm one who annoys people. If you put your blinker on and wait for the spot I'm parked in, I will sit there all day until you move on. Blocking the aisle and other cars because you want a spot that is NOT available yet is just rude. Don't wait for spots, find an already empty one.

I've had people wait for the spot I'm in when there is literally an open spot 2 back. Nope, I'm not moving.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

If there are many other open spots that makes sense, but in crowded lots where people have to circle and circle to get any spot at all, esp this time of year, it seems like the nice thing to do is vacate your spot as quickly as possible. It would be nice if the people who refuse to vacate out of "principle" were the ones who can't find a spot because others of their ilk are also stubbornly refusing to share. Doesn't seem to work that way, unfortunately.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I get it, and it sort of drives me crazy too when you think someone is about to back out of a space and then doesn’t. When it’s crowded especially, unfortunately common sense and courtesy seem to have disappeared.

I recently waited for 2 people to back out before I proceeded to back out, even though I was about a quarter backed out already. Then when it was clear I started to complete my backup only to find the huge SUV behind me had started pulling out without even looking. Everybody was in a hurry to leave that day.

I usually just park sort of far from entry the door anyway, just so someone can come park very close to me while I am shopping and make it hard to get into my vehicle. Ugh!

• drewsmaga
    4 years ago

This happened to me at a gas station yesterday. I was only waiting because the gas was 3 cents cheaper than ll the other stations and I get a 5 cent discount with my rewards card.

• llitm
    4 years ago

Yes, when the backup lights are on it does bother me because that indicates they are about to back up! I think it also bothers me because I'm so conscientious about NOT doing that. If I see there is an obvious shortage of parking spots, I'll make my spot available asap and move to the outer areas of the lot to check my phone, etc. It's the polite thing to do.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago

blfenton, no, I don't sit in my parking space with my reverse lights on. I don't even start my car.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago

Louiseab Ibbotson, I don't have a landline. My cell phone is my only phone. If I get a call from my doctor's office, it's on the phone I carry around with me. It may be a call that needs to be handled right away.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

If they just get into their car and sit with the engine off it doesn't bother me. Maybe they are waiting for someone still in the store or just resting. None of my business and I simply move on. But when they sit with the engine on, backup lights on and/or with their foot on the brake my term for them is one that cannot be typed here according to forum rules.

I think it is just as rude to sit just to annoy. Parking lots get pretty full. Putting a blinker on is a courtesy to those behind you letting them know you are waiting for a spot. It's what most good drivers expect. With the kind of logic that say people must keep moving on until they happen to see an empty spot or maybe slam on the brakes as someone pulls out, then there would be no lines to wait for an open spot in a grocery checkout. The one sitting there is hurting all behind the person waiting, not just the vehicle waiting to enter. It causes a completely unnecessary backup out of spite. Just like those who don't understand zipper merging and decide to punish the person using the open lane until the end or the self righteous road boulders who won't move over to the right for faster traffic. Too many people today drive with their feelings instead of common sense.

• amylou321
    4 years ago

I pulled into a small dollar general parking lot yesterday to get some candy canes. I had to wait to park because there was a car WAITING to pull into a spot next to a woman who left her drivers side door open and it was in the way. It was annoying. First, because this woman had her door wide open into the other spot, second, because she was sitting there adjusting her elf headband, something that would usually make me smile, while she sat there with her door open, and third, because the guy waiting for that spot could have easily pulled into the spot on her other side and gotten out of my way. All the spaces were perpendicular to the door,right up against the building. The spot on her other side was no further from the door than the one on her drivers side. He finally lost patience and whipped into the spot, slamming on the brakes just before hitting her door,I guess to send a message. So dumb. It was a tiny parking lot and I was annoyed that I had to wait while looking at a bunch of open spaces because this guy just HAD to have THAT particular spot instead of one that was just as convenient and the woman was being a jerk. When he finally moved I parked farther away, as I always do.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

For those who sit in their car with the phone stuff, it's really not as safe (that's a relative term, so keep that in mind before rebutting it) as staying in the place you were just in. You might want to check before you go out. Merely a suggestion.

• marylmi
    4 years ago

What's worse is when your behind someone getting gas. They finish, get back in their car, and fiddle around doing what I don't know, but apparently in no hurry. I understand it takes time to get in, buckle up but to sit there not even starting the car to indicate they are getting ready to move on, is just plain rude. That's when I wish I had a big truck to nudge them along!!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I get really annoyed when there are lines at the gas pumps, and the person at the pump finishes filling the tank, then moseys into the store (leaving the car in front of the pump) for long minutes, eventually coming out with her soda and snack. Pull the car into the parking spot in front of the shop! You've already pre-paid for the gas!

• pkramer60
    4 years ago

Those that load up the car while I am waiting for a spot and never have the curtesy to say they are not leaving drives me up a tree. Cripes, all you have to do is shake your head no!

• Texas_Gem
    4 years ago

amylou- exactly! So frustrating! Both were being jerks but I would say the guy was being the bigger jerk. There's other spots!! It's not a courtesy to the other drivers when you hold up traffic because you want a particular spot and there are plenty more available!

Watchmelol- your analogy with grocery store check out lines is NOT the same. There is only a finite amount of checkers, and there is space for the queue so that those waiting to check out aren't preventing others from doing their shopping. Maybe where you live there is only limited parking and people must circle a lot to find a spot but I've never seen that, not once. Not even when I worked at the mall on Black Friday many years ago. There are ALWAYS spots available, some are just farther back.

I've never found it a courtesy to have to sit behind some jack who has his turn signal on waiting for a car who is STILL loading their groceries! Just move down bud! The exercise will do you some good!

• cynic
    4 years ago

I have a lot bigger things to get annoyed about than someone doing their "detail work" BEFORE they start driving down the road. I guess I find it much more irritating that she's doing her hair as she's driving than before starting out.

• katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

I sometimes think that the people who do this have such a lack of power in their lives that they look for any opportunity. Note to self -must stop psychoanalyzing!