SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Looking forward to dinner tomorrow?

plllog
4 years ago

I was hoping to order in dinner tonight. No such luck. My mother wanted Thanksgiving leftovers, particularly stuffing. Sigh. It took a lot of thought to figure it out. I finally settled on multiple casseroles since there wasn't any way I could conceive of one. The tsimmis (cranberries, sweet potato, butternut, kabocha, corn, lima beans, rainbow carrot tips, parsnips, pearl onions, scallions, maybe something else) got mixed with eggs and poultry sausage and baked as its own casserole, and the little bit of stuffing left went in a chiquitito Corning with some stock. The slightly dry turkey needed to undry, so I pulled the greens out of the bit of (undressed) leftover salad and wilted them in the sausage fat, for the bottom, since I didn't want yet more starch, then I used up some dying mushrooms, and made a mushroom gravy, added the leftover chicken/turkey gravy to expand it, pulled some turkey bits onto the greens and poured the gravy over the top.

I brought some ww pastry flour/salt which was in a bag which never got used, to which I added some BP and soda, and my carton of buttermilk because the only way I could think to keep the turkey casserole moist was a dough top. I over wet it, so added some AP. So that all came out fine, but there were a couple who weren't at Thanksgiving who kept raving about the dinner and asked me where I learned the casseroles. Huh? Does one "learn casseroles"? I just look at what needs using up and what the objectives are and cook. I also brought the cranberry sauce, but we only ate half. Mother kept saying how good the turkey was. Duh. Mushroom gravy. Turkey is just an excuse for eating mushroom gravy right? They were all happy to eat the last of the blueberry apple pie, too.

Not that there's much left from T'day (we've mostly been eating other stuff lingering in the fridge), and I might freeze what there is, but I'm really looking forward to dinner tomorrow. I'm going to be near the place late tomorrow, so I'm bringing us home In-'N'-Out. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to a hamburger!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County