SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

What color for floating shelves (for books and photos)? How high?

mshutterbug
4 years ago

We are finishing up our living room. We use it as a family area to sit and read and also for part of our homeschool day. As such, I always display books for our current school theme. They need to be within reach of my littles (ages 6 1/2 and 8).

The top of the bookcase works well, but I feel like it's looking a bit cluttered. So I'd like to get them off the top of the bookshelf and onto a shelf. (Or potentially put some on the shelf and some directly underneath on the bookcase top, if that doesn't look cluttered. And I'd like it to take up the entire mid-section because we usually have quite a few books each week that I display. And I want to put framed or canvas photos on the second shelf. I'm debating whether to do white like the bookcase or black or stained to match the "butcher block-ish" top.

1. opinion on what color to do shelf?

2. how far off the bookcase should we put the first shelf? And how far apart to the second shelf?

3. If someone has a totally different idea - as so often happens here ;) I'm open to all ideas!

My general vision of what it will look like (roughly, still kinda playing with options for the sides.)

And you can see how I display books currently. I feel like it's a bit cluttery this way and I definitely want to display family photos on the wall and get the corkboard off the bookcase (I may get rid of it entirely and just do static framed photos or something. I'm getting tired of updating the corkboard every week LOL)

Ideas?

Comments (12)