SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amg765

Backsplash with floating shelves?

amg765
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm redoing the little 50's galley kitchen in my house. It's going to be full DIY except for the floor and electrical. Got the design and layout pretty much figured out but need to work out some details before demo. I posted on design dilemma asking for paint color help and didn't really get any responses, you can see that thread [here.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/wall-color-with-fir-cabinets-and-blue-stove-dsvw-vd~2997437) Probably just going with BM simply white unless a big sample doesn't work with the cabinets. Cabinets are ikea with vg doug fir slab doors (my dad is making them :D ) floor will be gray marmoleum, counters will be concrete and backsplash will be white subway.

The range wall will have floating shelves on either side, and I need to decide what to do with the backsplash because that affects how we patch the wall after electrical work and adding blocking, and may mean scootching the cabinets over a couple inches. I had originally planned to just have it behind the stove, but now I'm thinking it might be better to do something more extensive and would love some opinions.

Sorry, this post is goint to be kind of long.

Here is my ideabook of reference photos.

Option 1 (ignore the paint color - I was just messing around)

Pro: simple, covers the worst of the splatter area, I can use scrubbable paint.
Con: need to be very very careful when templating counters, might look weird if we need to replace the hood later on, paint is still harder to clean than tile.

Option 2

Pro: covers the maximum functional area (any more tile is just for aesthetic purposes)

Con: Looks unbalanced?

Option 3 For option 3 and 4 it looked weird if the tile didn't extend to the doorframe, and I thought extending the countertop overhang also looked weird, so I moved everything over 2 inches and gave the extra room to the wall side of the fridge enclosure. This increases the clearance between the left fridge door and the wall, and we would probably add some skinny shelves betweeen the fridge and the wall. The minor downside is that reduces the aisle width for the most used path into to the house by 2"

Pro: can replace range hood without worrying about things not lining up. Layout is easy on the tile setter (me)

Con: too much for the small space?

Option 4

Pro: I like big old walls of subway in general

Con: Too much? Out of place with the rest of kitchen?

Here is the other wall and the floor plan:

If you made it to the end, thank you. Any thoughts are welcome ;)

Comments (47)

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

For sheer looks, I like option 4 best followed by option 1.

amg765 thanked Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

I like option 4, but then I'm planning a big old wall of subway. I think the different materials behind the shelves in Option 3 might not look great (but what do I know . . . )

amg765 thanked AvatarWalt
  • Related Discussions

Backsplash? No backsplash? What kind of backsplash?

Q

Comments (25)
    didn't have time to read all the answers. I have no backsplash and have never regretted it...been over 6 yrs. It is painted with BM matte...which has ceramic in it. It is as beautiful now as it was when first painted. I love the fact that I can showcase other things ...art etc in my kitchen and no competition. Also if I ever want to change it is as quick as a paint brush...expense is minimal..paint only ! All in all I think it is serene as you point out . Here is one pick. Since I have a lot of high heat cooking in my kitchen..built in deep fat fryer as well as gas cook top I can definitely speak to the longevity of paint only. c ( more at this album )
    ...See More

Shelves or no? Need to decide before backsplash

Q

Comments (22)
    Sophie - a cabinet was originally drawn but as usual I second guessed it. My dream kitchen is to have no upper cabinets at all but that’s not practical for us. We are both tall and I need the storage. So with this big window I thought to eliminate the cabinet on the left to create a nice open feeling. The cabinet would be fairly small anyway. My cabinets are custom so I certainly could get another made if I chose. CP - thanks for the mock-up. I don’t think I like them sideways like that. Thanks for the feedback on having them go the other way. I appreciate your opinion!
    ...See More

Backsplash design with floating shelves

Q

Comments (7)
    I would probably lower both sets of shelves. As is, the top shelf is higher than the over-the-fridge cabinet (which would make it at a completely inaccessible height for me).
    ...See More

To backsplash, or not to backsplash - that is the question...

Q

Comments (4)
    From the glimpse you've given us, you have a really nice kitchen. Your countertop is a "busy" pattern. Really like the painted wall (in lieu of high backsplash) you have with it -- that wall color is as perfect as it gets. Are you changing the countertop; if not, definitely would not add a backsplash. If your fridge is running well, would NOT replace it for a smaller (counter dept) one, the full opening of which could be impeded by the countertops, making it difficult or impossible to remove the veggie drawers for a thorough cleaning as needed. Would NOT b ox in the fridge -- you'd need to lose cabinet space to do that. Instead, invest in a few more magnets and fully embrace having the sides exposed. Dollar Tree sells some wide magnetic clamps that would let you hold a tablet for an ongoing grocery list, etc. Similar to this but black ... and a lot less expensive. The work and last every bit as well. I've had to glue the magnet back in to both the more expensive one and a less expensive one after dropping them. Still work well.
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    9 years ago

4. A wall of subway tiles is never wrong in a contemporary or traditional home. If you want to make it look more contemporary, you could line the tiles up instead of staggering them.

amg765 thanked cpartist
  • Jillius
    9 years ago

Three is my favorite. But I also like #4, although it would be contingent on extending it to go around the door too (it is weird how it stops in the middle of the wall and doesn't go around the door).

I truly do not like #2.

amg765 thanked Jillius
  • PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

amg765 thanked MDLN
  • amykath
    9 years ago

Option 4 would definitely look the best in my opinion.

amg765 thanked amykath
  • Kimberly N
    9 years ago

To me, shelves don't have the same weight/physical impact as a cabinet and shouldn't be used as an endpoint for tile. I'd play carefully with the placement of the shelves too. I'd want them deeper and lower to make them easier to use if the range is in use. And easier to clean since they will attract dust/grease. So wall of tile/option 4 for me.

amg765 thanked Kimberly N
  • catbuilder
    9 years ago

4, then 3.

amg765 thanked catbuilder
  • PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

I like number 4 best followed by number 3.

amg765 thanked Deck The Halls
  • fishymom
    9 years ago

I think option #4 would look great, #3 would be my second choice

amg765 thanked fishymom
  • alexamorrie
    9 years ago

#4 , then #3

amg765 thanked alexamorrie
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    9 years ago

I like # 3 then #1, then #4. I plan on using just a paint backsplash, but will be putting up SS floating shelves. Your wooden ones would look great too. (hubby would even like the bright green if you go crazy!) In your examples, I think #3 matches the sink side tile work balance of your kitchen best.

However, depending on your true ceiling height, # 4 does make the area appear taller. I do like the counter top lined up next to the door, rather than it coming up short.

amg765 thanked loonlakelaborcamp
  • DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

For option 3, instead of moving everything over 2", can you use wider door casings? I'd at least draw that to see what it looks like. To the right of the door, a wider casing would scribe to the wall and eliminate the little strip of green wall as well.

But you'd have to see if wider casings work at the other doors in the room as well.

amg765 thanked DIY2Much2Do
  • ediblekitchen
    9 years ago

I like #4 too, and maybe paint the area around/above the door white so it blends in.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Ditto ediblekitchen's advice. I see Jillius's concern but painting the rest of the wall to match tile color should eliminate that issue. Second choice #3.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like 3 best, then 4. I don't really like 2 or 1 at all.

amg765 thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • cluelessincolorado
    9 years ago

If the range is going to be off centered, could you put the larger space between range and fridge? Seems like it would give the cooking area breathing space, and a landing area adjacent to fridge.

amg765 thanked cluelessincolorado
  • Fori
    9 years ago

I like 4, but instead of making everything wider to hit the door casing (which makes the door look squeezed as well as reducing your exit size), just tile down to the floor in the little cranny. You might have the same issue on the sink side too, right?

Or do the entire wall!

amg765 thanked Fori
  • amg765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. You guys are awesome. It sounds like 3 and 4 are definitely frontrunners. It's funny that no one likes 2, because after the wall of tile that seems to be the most common way this is done. I do agree that it looks a bit fussy.
    The walls will be white. I would never have the guts to go with lime green. Maybe the kitchen exterior door though... ;) The ceiling is 98"-ish (Its currently 97 but that includes tile, backerboard, and 2 layers of old linoleum)
    Kimberley - the shelves are at 18" and 30", and 12" deep. They can't be lower than 18" because of clearance requirements for the gas burners, and I wouldn't want them deeper because they'd be in my face too much. I'm short but I don't think I'll have a problem reaching things.
    Pippa - the stove is off center, but that was done for functional reasons, not because of limitations in ikea cabinet sizes. Putting the stove in between 24" cabinets means losing 9" of valuable counter space on the right, and the trash pullout. (That may seem like an odd place for it, but it's opposite the dishwasher, and is where the existing freestanding trash can is.) We have 18" on the left side of the stove now, and that seems to be enough.
    The door casing is the original skinny wood ranch trim. The sketchup model looks misleading because I didn't make the molding 3D. In reality the casing almost butts up against the frame for the water heater closet door, so you can't really even see the corner back there. We can't really change it for wider stuff without modifying the water heater closet trim, plus we'd also have to notch the countertop at the door to the dining room or move that door over. I was planning on just stripping the dirty old orange shellac off it and refinishing it with new poly or clear shellac.
    More mockups in a bit once I find a subway tile texture that is actually white...

• elphaba
    9 years ago

Did I miss your mention of under cabinet lighting - underneath the bottom set of open shelves?

Shouldn't affect which configuration you choose but can affect when/how you have the backsplash installed with holes where necessary for the undercabinet lighting.

amg765 thanked elphaba
  • Fori
    9 years ago

(I like the lime green. It's just paint!)

amg765 thanked Fori
  • amg765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the lime too, I just don't have the courage of my convictions lol. I am seriously thinking using it on the back door. Or maybe the shelves?
    No lights under the shelves, only under the cabinets on the sink side. I just checked by holding up a cookie sheet on the wall at the right height, and even with the current single fixture the shadow hits the wall, not the counter. Ha, lighting is the next thing on my list to ask for help about.
    So, updated options based on everyones comments shown with white walls:
    Option 3A

3B
    4A
    4B
    lol, I keep forgetting to stick the toekicks on the cabinets.
    I think I'm liking 3A or 4B at the moment.

• catbuilder
    9 years ago

amg765 thanked catbuilder
  • kimihh
    9 years ago

I like 3A best. To me, the entire wall of tile looks too heavy. And although I love color, for an uncluttered look I prefer a wall color that is similar to the tile color.

amg765 thanked kimihh
  • cpartist
    9 years ago

5. Much cleaner looking.

amg765 thanked cpartist
  • blfenton
    9 years ago

5 is very cool if you like cool things. What is through the door on the right?

amg765 thanked blfenton
  • funkycamper
    9 years ago

3b or 5

amg765 thanked funkycamper
  • amg765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blfenton - that is the water heater closet. It's not an actual door door, more of a very large cabinet door with grates in it.

• dmeah
    9 years ago

I like 5, too. I don't think it looks heavy, and I actually think it's a more simplified look in a small space - you don't have tile starting/ending, paint angles, etc.

amg765 thanked dmeah
  • artemis78
    9 years ago

I missed this earlier, but we have almost exactly this situation and went with 2. However, had our budget accommodated it, I'd have done 5 in a heartbeat! We priced both 4 and 5 and both were out of our budget (and I didn't like 4 without the extra wrap around the door). So it was a good solution for us to reconcile budget and aesthetics, but if your budget allows for 5, I'd definitely do it. Here's 2 in our kitchen (we actually still haven't put the two smaller shelves to the right of the hood up--we finished this kitchen in 2011!--but in theory they are still in the works! FWIW I expected but have not had grease issues on the shelves--the tile behind the stove is another story but does wipe down easily. I would tile all the way to the hood if we were doing it over, though (long story on that!)

amg765 thanked artemis78
  • amg765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, that's really helpful. And I really like your kitchen - that stove is so cute. Is your floor linoleum?
    Budget isn't a huge issue because it's DIY and I have a bunch of leftover tile from my parents. I'd have to get a few boxes more but I think it's only $5 /sq ft stuff. I'd have to factor in all the extra pizza and beer it would take me to get through doing the whole wall ;)

• artemis78
    9 years ago

Thanks--yes, that's Marmoleum Click tile, though it's hard to see here. In your shoes I'd definitely do the whole wall--we were also DIYing but just the cost of the tile was nuts to go up our walls (though we also have 9' ceilings). It would have looked amazing, though! There was a GWer at the time who had a tile wall like that (maybe it was circuspeanut's old house, if she's still around?) that I coveted every time I saw it!

amg765 thanked artemis78
  • sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Help me - what's the difference between the As and the Bs?

• amg765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In the B options everything is shifted over 2 inches so the counter ends at the door frame and the tile doesn't run down between the cabinet and the door.
    I was worried it will look weird to have one side have tile running to the door frame but on the sink wall have it end at the end of the counter and have a small strip of paint showing, but then I realized that I CAN replace the casing on the exterior door with wider so the tile/counter dies into it. Actually I have to replace it anyway because it's nasty vinyl stuff from when the door was replaced and it's notched out around the existing counter. Maybe I'll even hit pay dirt at ReStore in the next couple weeks and find a nice wood back door to replace the crappy metal one.

• PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

5 (photo below from another GW post)

• amg765
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought I'd bump this thread now that the cabinets are in and I have actual photos to see what people think. No counters yet and I need to refinish the trim and change out the overhead lights.

Here's how it looks now. We did end up moving things over so the counter will die into the door casing to leave space for a wider CD fridge later on.

(The mystery spot on the fridge enclosure is from my phone camera lens)

Still on the fence about whether to stop the bs tile at the bottom of the vent or run it to the ceiling.

Other undecideds

- running bond vs stacked.

- should the floating shelves match the cabinets, be painted, or be made of salvaged wood from the old cabinets (will be slightly darker and redder than the new wood)

• klcharles
    8 years ago

I vote for tile all the way up. Pardon the poor photo but I'm attaching it just to give you a look and help you decide. I think the shelves would look nice if they were a little darker/different than your cabinets. Mine match but in your pretty kitchen I'd switch them up. Good luck!

amg765 thanked klcharles
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

My vote running bond all the way up. Salvagend wood shelves would be a nice accent as long as they were different enough not to look mismatched.

amg765 thanked MDLN
  • amg765
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's some reference photos for the 2 options I'm considering:

Mill Valley Home · More Info

The Victorian · More Info

Katie & Drew's Kitchen · More Info

1840 Stone Home Renovation · More Info

Sleek White Tiles at the Range · More Info

Southern CT Beach Home · More Info

This last one isn't too relevant because of the high ceiling and chunky shelves, but I'm throwing it in anyway because it's one of my favorite kitchens ;)

Loft Apartment Notting Hill · More Info

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Your ceilings don't look as tall as most of these. Tiles to the ceiling. I think matching shelves are always nice but expected. I like the idea of reclaimed wood and agree they should be enough different to not look like they're just mis-matched.

amg765 thanked funkycamper
  • mo142
    8 years ago

My Houzz: Home Full of Boys Achieves Order and Inspiration · More Info
    I love the inspiration kitchens you posted. Here's another one that I've been using as inspiration for mine.

I vote for running bond tile to ceiling and the darker, salvaged shelves.

klcharles - beautiful kitchen!

amg765 thanked mo142
  • Fori
    8 years ago

2/3 running bond (must have a real name! The stagger that is in your #1 Mill Valley.) or stacked, all the way up unless your ceiling is really out of level. Gotta check that first.

amg765 thanked Fori
  • User
    8 years ago

It's called staggered brickwork I believe.

amg765 thanked User
  • amg765
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If the salvaged wood shelves aren't dark enough I can always stain them lightly to give more contrast.

Funky - 3 or 4 of the examples have around 8' ceilings, same as mine (I counted tiles), but only one of the vent height ones.

mo- thanks for the picture - I hadn't seen that one and it's very nice.

fori- I never even noticed that backsplash was 1/3 offset. I'll play around with that.

• steph2000
    8 years ago

I'm partial to stacked these days, though it looks more retro/modern. Something about it just appeals...

amg765 thanked steph2000
  • weaver2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It seems like in the kitchens where the tile doesnt go all the way up, it works best when the cabinets (surrounding the range/hood) also dont go all the way to the ceiling. But, in your case the cabinet to the left of the range does go all the way up to the ceiling.

So, I also vote for tile to the ceiling. And the staggered brick, but like steph said the stacked would also look nice, just a different "feel".