SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaea83

wall art recommendation

gaea83
4 years ago

Hi all,

trying to get some advice on wall art for my living room back wall. as you can see, the sofa is not placed against the center of the back wall. Any recommendations on how to solve this off-center problem?

Should I place two pieces of related art work?

Comments (39)

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

You need to get some layers in your space besides the wall art as it will help balance the space out. A rug and lamps would be a good start. The piano is looking so much larger than your furniture so I'm thinking at least one lamp should be floor lamp that makes a statement. And the wall art you can go two pieces or one piece but whatever you go with, it has to be a good size. Have you seen any art you love?

gaea83 thanked tedbixby
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Don't worry about the off center issue, but please provide us with pix of the entire space, not just the wall you see as your dilemma. You need two area rugs, one for the seating and one for the piano. Anchor all three of your leggy seating pieces fully on a large rug. Float the sofas at least 6" away from the walls. All seating should be 18" or less from a place to put down a drink or something else. The arms of the two sofas should just touch for a corner and the round table can fill in the space behind them. Pull the piano as close to the seating group as you can. You want it to open like a jewel box so the lid is against the wall and throws the music out into the room. Then add a large, striking piece of art above the sofa next to the wall, wherever it ends up. Here are some things to know about the piano to get the best sound and most enjoyment from it.

gaea83 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Related Discussions

Filling Up my Bare Walls with Claude Venert's Art Works

Q

Comments (1)
    well i love it!
    ...See More

ideas for art work on this wall?

Q

Comments (13)
    IMO you buy art because you love it not because it “goes “ with the decor. I think one of the giant floral wallpapers would be great on that wall. BTW wood slat blinds and that chandelier do not work together
    ...See More

I don’t know if art work or a mirror is better on the buffet wall ?

Q

Comments (13)
    I agree that the rug is much too small as well as dark. The tones are taking away from the distinct table base and the coordinating chair legs. As an admitted minimalist, I'd have no rug there or one that's the same color as the floor but textural. The floors are beautiful. Given the many hard reflective surfaces, I think a mirror would be too much and would prefer a textural art piece. The height can't be greater than what's there now due to the vent. Although I really like the candlestick lamps below, it may look cluttered due to the glass cabinet close to the sideboard.
    ...See More

Looking for wall art/art-work suggestions for my living room

Q

Comments (17)
    I think an abstract landscape/water piece, with some color, would look fabulous there … and play into your wonderful views. It would also bring warmth in, while keeping with the very modern style of the room. I’d look on Etsy, on gallery sites, Ebay, and/or visit local places to find a piece that speaks to you. This is a prominent spot — I wouldn’t buy a big piece of generic wall filler. Art here could be the soul of the room. https://magazine.artland.com/top-10-landscape-artists-in-modern-and-contemporary-art/ I do like the idea of three b/w prints you posted — it brings to mind water movement.
    ...See More
  • gaea83
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thx for your great pointers! my family have a lot of allergy issues, so we are trying to go w/o rugs. any tips on pulling off a rugless room? also, for the large wall art, should i center it over the piano? it would mean off-center on the wall.

• seagreen3
    4 years ago

From what I can see of your space, you could absolutely pull off a large wallpaper mural.

gaea83 thanked seagreen3
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

I would move the off center sofa closer to the corner table - same distance as the other sofa.

Move the chair and the coffee table closer to the window wall as well. You want a conversation area and a space for the piano instead of trying to stretch the conversation area across the room

I would get a large piece of art for over the sofa - about 2/3 to 3/4 the width of the sofa.

An area carpet would help to define the space, but I understand the allergy issue. I don't know if ruggables would work - they are machine washable and I would think that they would remove the issues with dust mites and other allergy triggers.

I don't think I would do any art over the piano. The piano is large and speaks for itself. I think you need to balance the bulk of the piano with the sofa and artwork.

gaea83 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Before getting art arrange the furniture so that you have a cozier sitting area so move the sofa on the back wall closer to the window the chir moves into the space think of this as 2 spaces one for the piano and one for conversation. I can’t reallt see how the piano is sitting in the space so another pic of that area would be helpful. I have mine between my DR and LR in its own little space . My piano is a baby grand too but electronic so some of the rules about placement don’t apply and I think if you move the furniure you should be able to move yours over a bit to the left. As for art IMO you could go bigger on that wall above the sofa and you could do 2 pieces but first get lamps end tables , the coffee table IMO needs to be big enough to serve both sofas the chair needs a spot for at least a drink. Since you need lamps anyway you might want to see about an arc lamp in the corner between the 2 sofas it serves as an end table and puts some lower lighting into the center of the room If you notice here the arc lamp hangs above the coffee tableand the other sofa has a table at one end and the art would be considered too large but I love it where it is.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

aren't there hypo allerg. rug material you could use? what bout the polypropylene ? I think they also make a hypo allergenic hemp or cotton rug.

can you do a tall plant (using sterilized potted mix? )

The snake plant grows tall and shouldn't care any issues. you need something vertical in that corner against the wall

or do one of these arc lamps

center the print over the back of sofa,,,

or, since the sofa is small and the wall so large, maybe doing a gallery would look better

gaea83 thanked Beth H. :
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

Ignore the off-center issue. Hang two pieces of non-conflicting art over the sofa, or hang a group of unrelated pieces over the sofa. There are very few rules with art.

gaea83 thanked felizlady
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

You also need some light fixtures because the recessed ceiling lights do not light the room. It lights the upper third of the air, and may illuminate the art once you have it. Add several table or floor light fixtures to light the area where people will need to see each other.

gaea83 thanked felizlady
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Beth, I doubt that it's the rug itself that causes allergy issues, but the stuff that collects in the rug--dander and dust and mites.

I agree with others that the seating needs to be pulled closer together. Everyone should be able to reach the coffee table (which may mean you'll need a larger one).

Don't consider art till you have your seating arrangement nailed. Otherwise you won't know what sizes you need or where to hang them. (I could, if you're so inclined, see a whole wall of art hung salon style behind the sofa.)

gaea83 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

grover,,the same stuff is going to fall on the wood floor. if you get a very low pile or no pile rug, and vacuum it daily, it should act the same way a wood floor does. she could get one those special vacuums. I just figured if the rug was hypo-alle. and they vacuum daily, it wouldn't be a problem.

gaea83 thanked Beth H. :
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Mountain Mural Wall Art Peel and Stick Vinyl Wallpaper, Navy/Pale Pink, 24"x108" · More Info

Mountain Mural Wall Art Peel and Stick Vinyl Wallpaper, Navy, 24"x108" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/mountain-mural-wall-art-wallpaper-peel-and-stick-navy-24x108-prvw-vr~80409902

gaea83 thanked everdebz
  • shirlpp
    4 years ago

A cool mist or warm mist humidifier might help with the allergy problems....Best Wishes!

gaea83 thanked shirlpp
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

they have this with darker at bottom instead, etc... your upper lights factor in?

Gradient Tie-Dye Wallpaper, Blue/White, 4 Panels · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/gradient-tie-dye-wallpaper-blue-white-4-panels-prvw-vr~87231576

gaea83 thanked everdebz
  • ilikefriday
    4 years ago

That wall is the perfect location for a mural, as a couple of others have mentioned.

gaea83 thanked ilikefriday
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

• PRO
    gaea83 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

You could select a wall mural from Society6.com to use as art on your back wall centered under the downlights. They are all 8x8.

Move the sofa so that it is centered also.

Maybe you can consider a jute or sisal rug for the area.

A very large square coffee table would fit the space better IMO.

Move the other sofa away from the windows and consider adding drapery panels to the windows.

gaea83 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • gaea83
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow, thx for everyone's great suggestions! i agree that we need some lamps here. does this lamp go with the rest of the decor? matt white base 86" tall vs 10' ceiling. think of putting it in the space between the sofa & the piano to define the spaces. is this too tall though and would block artwork?

alternatively, maybe get 2 lamps. put this 39" tall (base 10" wide) ring style lamp on my 24" tall white side table in the corner b/t the 2 sofas? is it too tall on top of the side table? but wanted to add some height against the 10' ceiling.

put a second lamp (instead of getting the tall 84" tree lamp), get this 67" arc lamp? is it too short?

or is this lamp a suitable alternative? but maybe too short at 53" vs 10' ceiling?

https://www.dwr.com/lighting-floor/ic-f1-floor-lamp/4520.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&pn=2&start=7

• gaea83
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we have motorized roller shade over the windows (not shown). in terms of art for the living room wall, since the rest of the decor is pretty minimalist, i thought some art work w/ vibrant colors would add visual stimulation to the space. not sure if i would get this one as the blue background may be too similar to the grey sofas? maybe artworks with more red & yellow would work better?

any thoughts and reactions?

• gaea83
    Original Author
    4 years ago

someone asked about the rest of the space. we have an open living/dining room. on the opposite end of the shown living side is our dining room, which looks like this.

the chandelier is hung 68" from the floor, so i almost can't hang any art work on the dining room wall except for a mirror? the thought is for the mirror to reflect the chandelier and artwork from the living room wall that's right across. how is this mirror 36" diameter (including the frame, the glass part is smaller) vs 110" wide dining room wall? dining table is 39" wide. it is in oil rubbed bronze or antique brash. does this go w/ the rest of the room? we only have door hardware in oil rubbed bronze.

or this gold mirror?

or this silver mirror (24" inside a 34" diameter frame)?

am i too stuck in the thinking that only mirror would be suitable for the dining room wall? just thought any other artwork would be blocked by the low hanging chandelier.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

With your storage stool? this type - factors in possibly with art choice.

Arnold Boho Fabric Throw Pillow Cover · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/jodie-modern-fabric-throw-pillow-cover-prvw-vr~145738733

• everdebz
    4 years ago

To me, the pearly look repeats the piano's elegance.... and white like the table.

Mother Of Pearls 18"x18" Art Silk Blue Decorative Pillow Covers, Undersea Magic · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/mother-of-pearls-18x18-art-silk-blue-decorative-pillow-covers-undersea-magic-prvw-vr~28268584

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I went back and saw yellow DR chairs -

Sparkly Beads 14"x14" Silk Grey Throw Pillows Cover For Couch, Belief · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/sparkly-beads-14x14-silk-grey-throw-pillows-cover-for-couch-belief-prvw-vr~92694968

• everdebz
    4 years ago

this yours?

Modern Contemporary Stool, Orange, Plastic · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-contemporary-stool-orange-plastic-prvw-vr~52616231

and this popped up with the stool -

Nourison Prismatic Multicolor Area Rug, 9'9"x13'9" · More Info

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Gaea, your original question was about hanging artwork on a wall with an off-center couch. The seating arrangement needs to be addressed before hanging art. The sofas should be closer together so they feel more connected, and you need a coffee table large enough for both of them to reach. You can move the back sofa left, move the window sofa forward, then determine what size your coffee table needs to be.

I would lose the white round coffee table--it's out of scale--and choose something large and square to serve both sofas.

Once you have the sofas positioned, you can hang art centered over the sofa on the back wall. A separate piece can go behind the piano.

Here are your selections of lamps and art:

• User
    4 years ago

A fabric or tapestry wall hanging in the living room will help dampen sounds and reduce the echo effect of hard surfaces: wall, high ceiling, floors. Whilst I love the lamps for themselves, they don't appear to provide task lighting and will create shadows on faces. I'm also concerned about the temperature of their lights. They seem very cold, possibly 5000K? Not a good look for anyone other than Elsa in Frozen.

gaea83 thanked User
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Abstract Mountain Landscape Blue Jade Green Golden Contemporary Wall A – NordicW · More Info

• pat1250
    4 years ago

• D M PNW
    4 years ago

The chandelier would block art from only one direction, not from the side or from sitting at the table. It is a non-issue.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Lost track of you. Have you checked out ruggable.com? I think their rugs may be allergen free, and they're washable, so you can keep them cleaner than normal rugs.

• gaea83
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lisa, you brought up an interesting point about the LED lamps. they are supposedly 3000k. what do you think of the color? thx a lot!

• User
    4 years ago

People usually use 2700K for lamps, but I generally use 3000K so I like the number. It's almost impossible to gauge true color, especially temperature, on a computer. If I look at Grover's picture of your space with the lamps, the two lamps do not project the same color. The rings are much blue-er than the tree. I do think that the reflection off the blue wall is also cooling off the space in your house.

• Webado Webada
    4 years ago

Just a note that putting a lamp next to the piano must be done in a way that won't interfere with proper access to the piano. None of the lamps pictured so far are adequate, especially not the tripod lamp. Also the piano appears tucked in a corner too much. It needs space around it.

I agree with moving the sofa to the left towards the window to form a set with the other sofa. The corner table may be OK, but I'd opt for a different shape and color, white is not quite right.

Yes to one large painting or several paintings over that sofa once it's placed properly. You can splurge on color with that.

gaea83 thanked Webado Webada