SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How to dry these red chilies + chocolate Habanero harvest

Lars
4 years ago

Evidently I cannot post more than one or two photos when beginning a discussion, and so the chocolate Habanero photos will come later. However, my primary question is - how can I dry these chilies for later use? I don't know exactly what kind of chili they are - possibly Cayenne. I planted a lot of somewhat random seeds this year that I got from a friend, along with seeds that I myself had saved, and I did not do a good job of keeping track of what was what. All I remember is that I planted a variety of chili seeds, and I ended up with a rather large crop of chocolate Habanero chilies (my favorite), which I have already harvested and smoked so that I can make sauce with them, but I also got a regular Habanero chili plant (I may have bought this plant) and the plant pictured above.

I do not have a dehydrator, my regular gas convection oven will not maintain heat lower than 250°, but my convection toaster oven will go as low as 200°. Will this be low enough to dry these chilies?

I watched an ATK show this week in which they dried some sage by putting the leaves between two pieces of paper towels, and then they microwaved it for about 5 minutes or so on high. Would something like that work for chilies?

I'll post Habanero photos next, but I do not have questions about those at this time, as I have made my sauce many times. I do need help with these red ones, however. What do you think they are?

Comments (27)

Sponsored