SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_873680004

Ginkgo tree leaves changing to light brown instead of yellow...

Robert West
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a very young ginkgo tree that i planted in the Spring of 2018. As of now, it's about 6 feet tall. After i planted it, it did go through a little transplant shock like all new trees go through at times, nothing real abnormal there. In the Fall of 2018, the leaves turned a little yellow but more just kinda died and got that crunchy look and feel on the edges and sorta fell off, but you could see hints of yellow in some of the leaves from when it tried. But i think the transplant shock and just trying to establish itself in the very hot Summers here in South Carolina sorta stunted it a little as far as going through it's normal Fall colors of that beautiful yellow. This spring, the leaves sprouted and it florished through Summer with beautiful leaves. I had full confidence that this Fall would be the season we would get that change over to yellow that Ginkgo trees are famous for. But instead, the leaves went from their normal Summer green and slowly faded to a light brown with almost a hint of yellow mixed in. (I attached photos above). And that's the way it is right now. It's sorta disapointing cause you can see where the change was there, it just went to brown instead. Not that leaf scorch brown either where the leaves sorta crust over and just fall off, but just a light brown. I kept it watered all Summer and took care of it. We have a much more mature Ginkgo tree in our neighborhood, and it's doing well, turning to that beautiful yellow. Now i know some people will mention a hard freeze, but from what i have researched, the freezes normally force the leaves to sorta drop dramatically whether they are still green, in the process of turning, or yellow. We had some mid to upper 20s here last week for a couple nights, but it didn't force the other ginkgo tree that's nearly 30 foot tall in our neighborhood to drop all its leaves.

I don't know if it's because mine is just young and really hasn't established itself yet or what, but looking around on the web, i haven't seen a Ginkgo look like this before. Any help would be great!

Also, i have a picture of the ginkgo in early October, when all the leaves were still green.

Comments (27)