SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csummersall

Small 1 wall kitchen remodel: 6" between fridge side panel and sink?

csummersall
4 years ago

Our tiny condo has an awkward layout and lacks kitchen storage, but deciding on a new layout has been tough given the limitations of the space. I'm hoping someone here could help find a creative solution.

I feel strongly that moving the fridge into the single wall of cabinets is the best way to handle this space and increase our entire home's function, but my partner is very concerned this won't give us enough counter space.

The kitchen wall is 127" long and has very high, sloped ceilings. Right now, the layout that seems to make sense to me is 23" Fridge - 5" pull out - 18" sink cabinet - 18" dishwasher - 15" base cabinet - 30" stove - 15" base cabinet.

However this leaves us about 6.5" between the fridge side panel and the sink. I think it's worth it to gain that 3' single run of counter space between the sink and stove, but have been wondering if maybe Fridge - 18" base cabinet - 18" sink cabinet - 18" dishwasher - 30" stove - 15" base cabinet is a better idea.

Materials:

• Fridge: 23", requires 25" for full door opening ability when positioned against a wall.
  • Gas range: 29.5"
  • Dishwasher: 18" Miele Slimline (panel ready)
  • Cabinets: Ikea Veddinge.
  • Counters: John Boos Walnut butcher block 27" deep
  • Hardware: Rejuvenation
  • Faucet: Barber Wilsons
  • Sink: Thinking of a 17" x 20" turned the long way to take advantage of slighter deeper counters and allow us to use an 18" base cabinet.

It's often been suggested we get an island. This is something we genuinely don't want to do. The space is already very awkward and putting in a fixed island will make more than 50% of our main living space into kitchen. It would also mean getting rid our dining table, which we really don;t want to do.

Our families are both full of contractors (we have plumbers, electricians, a GC, an engineer, and a carpenter) and we're both very handy, so creative solutions that take some finagling are likely do-able. That said, we cannot move the gas or water lines off of the wall they are currently on as it's a third floor condo and that scale of renovation just isn't possible due to the HOA regulations.

Comments (11)