SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shapirolh

Toilet placement opinions

LH CO/FL
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Trying to figure out how bad it is to have the toilet against bedroom wall. Are there "quiet" flushing toilets? Here are two options. I prefer "A" because I think the vanities will be more attractive than a bathtub when viewed from the bedroom. The windows in the bathroom are all high - sill height is 6', so a mirror can go over each sink. Also toyed with the idea of switching the bath and closet but those windows can't be moved, because they're symmetrical with other windows along the front of the house. The windows in the closet are also starting at 6' high. The main view is out the back of the house, and those front windows face the street and could have headlights in them, so don't want to put a "real" room there.

UPDATE: Option B updated with additional window information.

Comments (34)

• damiarain
    4 years ago

I prefer B because

- I’m not sure you’ll fit a mirror with the windows there (6’ isn’t very high for the top of the mirror)

- can you put your bed in the top wall and therefore not have any plumbing behind it at all?

Whats that room outside the bedroom?

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, D. There will be a wall of windows on that top (north) wall, fireplace on the left (west)wall. There is a small storage/pantry/laundry room outside the master, and then a courtyard to the west of the fireplace.

• Related Discussions

Which is best placement of toilet in small master bath?

Q

Comments (6)
    Make sure you provide the correct clearance between the center line of the toilet flange and the sidewalls. You need 15-inches from the FINISHED wall surface to meet building codes. You also need 12-inches from the finished back wall to the center of the flange. If the measurement is less than 12-inches, you're going to get into a specialty toilet or will have to use an offset flange, which may not meet plumbing code requirements. The second layout provides a little more privacy for the toilet. What is the green area? Is that open shelving for towels, a linen closet, or?
    ...See More

Opinions on rug placement

Q

Comments (1)
    You probably need to add pictures. Try adding in the comments section..
    ...See More

Need QUICK Opinions: Placement of Microwave

Q

Comments (3)
    Should the microwave go at the other end of the island?
    ...See More

TOWEL RACK PLACEMENT DILEMMA - OPINIONS NEEDED ASAP, PLEASE!

Q

Comments (3)
    I would probably hang it next to the light switch and leave the area above clear for hanging art, but either way will be fine. Where the studs are might sway my answer so the towel bars can be secured into a stud, if possible. eta: I may have misunderstood...is this a rack with a towel bar below? Or do you mean a towel bar? If it's a rack, it should be hung higher than that switch. Like this? eta: where is this in relation to the vanity or shower? Is either already installed because nothing else is visible. If it's for hand towel for the vanity, I would not want to be dripping hands all that ways to grab a towel; same for the shower.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Is this new construction?

• Olychick
    4 years ago

If you can't move the bed and the toilet placement on that wall works best, why not explore some sound deadening materials in that wall to help mask sound from the bathroom?

LH CO/FL thanked Olychick
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes Mark, it's new. The wall with the bed will be a built-in wood accent wall, with built-in nightstands, so although I love Mark's idea, I was hoping for that built-in bed look. We can do some sound masking - one of us is an acoustics expert, so we'll be doing that regardless of where the potty goes.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Can't a built-in wood accent wall with built-in nightstands incorporate windows?

If the bed stays where it is originally shown, who get to walk around the bed or climb over the other person to get to the bathroom? (I bet it is not Leslie)

Layout the spaces, then place the windows.

LH CO/FL thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ha! In our current home, I get the long walk. In this house, well, you win the bet! You really have me thinking though... the space under the windows was "wasted" because I wasn't planning on putting anything on that all. Only issue is that we'll lose the view out those windows. They face a mountain, and it's protected land behind us - there will never be houses built there. But, the great room and kitchen both have the view, and the view is gone at night anyway.

I'm thinking about that!

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Inspiration photo:

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Beverly. A separate toilet isn't really needed in our situation. Neither of us would ever use the rest of the bathroom if one of us was in the little closet. I know many people like them, but they're not for us. And you're right about the doors. I sketched those in quickly without thinking them through. Thank you!

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Where the toilet is located in your bathroom will make little to no difference in how much sound it makes in the bedroom. Choose the arrangement you like best...that is something that can make a difference in your satisfaction with the bathroom.

LH CO/FL thanked kudzu9
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

That's not really a built in, but a partition wall in the bedroom.

Is the rest of your home going to take on this style appearance? This is a whole-house style committment.

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

kudzu9, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've seen people mention here that placement opposite a bed wall was a no-no, but couldn't understand why. Sound will transmit from either placement, especially if we avoid a wall-mounted system, which we will.

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly, yes - it will be a rustic/industrial look throughout.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Leslie-

You're right. Unless it is a wall mount, it's not going to make a real difference. And even if you insulated the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom, the noise from the toilet, wherever it was, would still transmit through the closed door. The only no-noise solution is if we go back to chamber pots ;-)

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And even then....

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

There's a mountain in Florida? How do you define "mountain"?

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good catch, Mark! This is a new house in Colorado. Lots and lots of mountains. :) I forgot that this is the same forum as my gardening group - hence the zone and location!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Are you designing this house yourself?

• Tara
    4 years ago

Ok. I live in an old house. Like 1940s old. One of the bedrooms backs up to the bathroom and toilet. I never notice any excessive noise when someone uses the toilet. Or the shower. So, I doubt it will be an issue with new construction once you get in and get busy living in it. Because probably the only time you'll be in the bedroom is at night/sleeping and probably there won't be a constant parade of people using the bathroom to make noise. You might consider, however, that Feng Shui doesn't like toilets to be on a bedroom wall right next to the bed. Feng Shui really doesn't like toilets - it represents draining of energy. So the people who sleep with their bed next to toilet wall will feel drained of their energy. If you believe in that stuff.

LH CO/FL thanked Tara
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mark, I am not, but I didn't care for the original layout. Toilet right across from the door.

• Tara
    4 years ago

Of course, there are "cures" for everything in Feng Shui. To remedy the toilet situation, you can tie a red ribbon around the drain pipe of the toilet (and the sinks and tub/shower too) , behind the walls/floors or vanity so that it doesn't show.

LH CO/FL thanked Tara
  • kudzu9
    4 years ago

I feel drained of energy by thinking that unwise toilet placement will drain my energy.

• lyfia
    4 years ago

I like what Mark did if you're good with not having the "gas chamber" as it is an improvement over the "prison toilet" in the original post.

• lexma90
    4 years ago

A comment about having your bed face the mountains out the window. We have a home in the Colorado mountains, and our master bed faces the window. At night, the spouse likes the window covered, but I love it open, so I can see the outdoors, especially when there's a full moon. Consider whether you would enjoy that view out your bedroom window, even if you also get the view from other rooms

LH CO/FL thanked lexma90
  • Kate
    4 years ago

I think seeing a beautiful soaking tub from the bedroom sounds lovely. Then you don't have to worry about anything you might not of cleaned up from the counter. Definitely a water closet or partition is in order.

LH CO/FL thanked Kate
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I love how some people insist on a water closet, and others hate the stink chamber. I do love the silhouette of our bathtub, and wouldn't mind giving it a prominent place. And that lets us keep the mountain view out the window. The sun hitting those peaks in the morning will be spectacular too. (We are early risers, so that won't be a problem.)

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

From the OP: "I prefer "A" because I think the vanities will be more attractive than a bathtub when viewed from the bedroom."

How much time do you think you'll spend in the bedroom staring into the bathroom?

LH CO/FL thanked Lindsey_CA
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All good points! Lots to think about! Especially the "prison toilet" comment. Never heard that one before! Is it only the master toilet that has to be hidden, or do all toilets need separate rooms? I'll post my guest bathroom next! And the powder room. That one will be tricky to hide, because it's in a small space already.

• catbuilder
    4 years ago

You do realize that the distance from the far side of the bed in either arrangement is essentially the same? Assuming the bed is centered on either wall, the distance from the bed on the bathroom wall is actually about a foot closer. And the near side of the bed on the bathroom wall is, of course, closer than the near side of the bad on the upper wall. If that's really something that matter to you.

LH CO/FL thanked catbuilder
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

You may want to post your entire plan, but . . .

WARNING: Posting your entire floor plan opens you up to facts you may not want to know, but should. Be prepared for suggestions that will make for a better design. Keep a thick skin, open mind, sense of humor, and a glass of wine within arms reach. You may not enjoy it, but everyone else will and you will be better off in the long run if you heed well the advice.

LH CO/FL thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm too scared that there is not enough wine in the world... Honestly, I really don't have thick enough skin to post it. I appreciate everyone's input, and I read every other floor plan critique and take note, but I'm just not that brave. I know - expensive character flaw, but it is what it is. Mad respect for everyone who does, and even more respect for the pros who take the time to look them over.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

During my breaks I often go to Houzz for entertainment and frustration, much like watching the Detroit Lions play football.

It is the bathroom door swing in the original layout that leads me to believe there may be other improvements to be made in parts of the design not seen.

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Mark. The bathroom door should swing in against the shorter wall. I was just rushing to sketch out a plan to post for this without confirming it against

the real plans. Both the closet and bathroom doors swing in.