SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_cnc

An Improper Garden

Christopher CNC
4 years ago

I live on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere with a large parcel of land to tend. As a long time peasant gardener for the well to do, most of my days are spent tending proper gardens. At home, there is not the time, the money or any interest in imposing a typical suburban curb appeal landscape onto a rural and forested environment. It makes far more sense in my situation to work with nature than to try and force it into some preconceived notion of what a proper garden should look like. I have no 'lawn', no mulched beds. The very idea of a weed is questionable.

But I am a gardener at heart and in my zone 6, deciduous forest mountaintop, the barren time lasts a good six months. That is far to long to be without a garden. I needed a garden for winter. Today the Under Garden of winter came out. The conifers are all low spreaders or dwarf because this is in the electric utility easement. No trees allowed.

The summer meadow is simply chopped down and left to decompose. No raking it up or hauling it away nonsense for me. One very important aspect of a bipolar garden like this is making sure the evergreens have a skylight and a bit of elbow room in the growing season. Left unchecked the meadow would shade out and kill the conifers very easily. That might constitute my 'weeding'.

After spending my days tending high maintenance proper gardens it is quite nice to come home and relax in an improper one.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus