SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Comparing Pumice, Sand, and Turface in Structured Soils

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Some plants that are thirsty and like a moister soil seem to do well in a mix of sand and pumice as the inorganic components of a structured container soil. An example would be something like string of pearls. Most of the "string of..." succulents have shallow roots and do not hold a huge amount of water. I have had poor results growing those kinds of succulents in gritty mix, at least if I am not willing to invest in constant watering. So for a plant that likes a moister soil, I want to consider the use of sand as a component in a structured soil.

Say your structured soil is made of even parts of:

1) an organic material (e.g., bark or peat)

2) pumice

3) sand

I want to understand the pros and cons of using sand as an inorganic component for the soil.

I understand sand is hated as a container soil component. I understand that there is greater adhesion of water between small particles, and this could lower oxygen levels in the soil.

Looking at the water release curves for peat, pumice, and sand, you get the following:

So what I take away from the above curves is that Peat will release about 50% of its retained water, up to about 5 kPa. Pumice will release about 25% of its retained water, but only for a short period and up to about 2 kPa of pressure. Sand releases about 20% of its water, but is very quick and up to about 1 kPa of pressure.

What the above diagram (I am guessing) does not show is that sand - because of the small particle size - has a lot of water adhesion between sand particles. So that is going to create a lot of extra water that is available for the roots, but it comes at the cost of oxygen in the soil. If you have a really thirsty plant, maybe the extra water from adhesion between sand particles is okay?

The other thing I take from the above diagram is that sand holds very little water, and what little it holds is rapidly used. So once the water between sand particles evaporates or is used by the plant, sand contributes very little water to the plant until the next watering.

What about the idea of replacing sand with Turface? In this case you lose a lot of water adhesion, since the Turface particles are probably closer to 1/16" to 1/8" instead of 1 to 2 mm (sorry for mixing unit measuring systems :) ). But Turface has a lot of water retention, and Turface also happens to be a great medium for re-hydrating peat, in case the soil ever does completely dry.

Comments (19)