SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amandaf24

can cabinets be painted a light color if my floor is also light?

amandaf24
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I really want to update my very orange and yellow kitchen. I priced having my cabinets painted but I am not willing to replace the tile floor and counter tops at this time. Will a light grey or greige paint work with my light floors or will look too washed out? What color would work. The counter tops have a little grey in them which is why i thought a grey or greige would work.

Comments (33)

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• girlnamedgalez8a
    4 years ago

Maybe try a darker shade on the lowers & island with the lighter shade of the same color on the uppers.

amandaf24 thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • Related Discussions

Dark v. Light floor in large house- Also Lauzon

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Pyrs, I have dark hickory graphite wood floors and I fell in love with them instantly because I wanted the same crisp clean look with a lighter grey wall color. Well 4 years living with them I can tell you I notice every little dust particle, dog hair, ( yellow lab) dents and scratches on these floors. It sounds like you have the experience with dark floors and it drives you crazy. I wouldn't do it again. We are building a house and this time I'm going with a much lighter wood floor. I'm also steering clear of white grout and natural stones that stain and etch. I'm going with solid surface counters and more sandy browns. I realize now that the look I love is a style that is great in magazines but not the real world. It would only work for me if I had a maid. Ha!
    ...See More

What wood floors with my light oak cabinets?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would also be interested in feedback on this issue. Creekylis, you may want to post on the home decorating forum if you don't get any more replies.
    ...See More

What wood floors with my light oak cabinets?

Q

Comments (9)
    I'd do something darker - dark enough that it doesn't look like you're trying to match the rest of the wood. I have the opposite situation in my house - all my woodwork is very dark - like walnut. I refinished my floors and just wanted to lighten them up a bit. So they're a few shades lighter than everything else in my house - the contrast looks very nice. What I don't think looks nice is some painted baseboards that I had replaced and tried to match the color of the floor - and it's slightly off - it bugs me every time I see it. Fortunately it's in my bedroom so no one sees it but me. The stuff that's in my hallway I had taken off and replaced with some of the old dark baseboards from my old kitchen - much nicer.
    ...See More

Trying to find art lighting. Can I use a vanity light to light my art?

Q

Comments (2)
    IKEA https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/arstid-led-picture-light-nickel-plated-10355627/ https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brynet-led-picture-light-black-90389223/ https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brynet-led-picture-light-silver-color-70389224/ https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/maglehult-led-cabinet-picture-light-black-30464890/ You can also use swing arm library lights to illuminate the art.
    ...See More
  • amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@girlnamedgalez8a thank you! I hadn't thought of that. I’ll see if I can find some pictures of how that would look.

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@herbflavor this is my current backsplash, and I have a stainless oven exhaust

• eam44
    4 years ago

The problem with doing things piecemeal is that every choice is a compromise, and you never end up with what you want. It’s far too nice a space to alter in this way. As herb says, work on your overall lighting plan and get under cabinet led’s. You’ll cool down the space faster than you think.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is Wait. If you’re keeping the counters, start googling images of kitchens that use that material. If you eventually want a different counter material, collect inspiration images until you know the plan, and it’s something you really love.

Now’s the time to: fix your lighting, collect inspiration images, and plan.

amandaf24 thanked eam44
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

IMO The floor isn't the problem - The backsplash and counters are. Straighten out the lighting first, then continue on the path. Your kitchen is warm, so I don't think a gray will work with either the counters or the backsplash. I agree with eam44 - You will most likely never get what you want, it you make compromises with what's in place that you don't love. Years ago, I was going to remove my backsplash with fruit on it and decided against it. I figured why waste money when I wasn't totally ready to change everything. Now I'm ready to do the whole kitchen and everything is going in the dumpster.

amandaf24 thanked Design Girl
  • amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

When I look at the wood, I see orange. Orangey wood and yellowly walls, backsplash and floors. So much warmth so I would love to update, lighten and cool it down if possible. Without having to redo the floors. The floor tiles have radiant heat underneath so I didn’t want to mess with them. Also cost wise. We would have to re floor the entire first floor If we changed the kitchen floor.

• Gina S
    4 years ago

I really like the kitchens I see that have a different color on the island--especially when it is a bold choice.

Maybe it is the lighting but it isn't the lightness that would be the problem -- I just don't think either of those colors have anything in common with the flooring, backsplash, or granite.

Maybe the pro's will have a different opinion. Good luck with your project. But before I go -- the cabinets, granite, flooring, backsplash, and wall paint all go well together. I know .. that isn't what you want to hear.

amandaf24 thanked Gina S
  • amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The current lights are actually led but they are yellow casted. i Know there are other led hues to choose from. I guess I am looking for that White clean bright kitchen and dark floor look but as some of you have said, changing out some parts and not others will not work the way I want it to and I probably should wait to change the entire kitchen at one time. That could be a good 8 years away. I will probably change the wall paint to a cooler greige tone and see how that works. I‘m just becoming obsessed with wanting change in that kitchen lately and it’s driving me nuts.

• Gina S
    4 years ago

Yeah, I understand. I've been hanging around houzz again and seeing perfectly decorated and updated homes sometimes makes me want to tear it all out and put all of what I see in their pictures in my house. But, I've started to make small changes and I have learned to love my outdated home. My focus has changed from what is wrong to ohhh -- that's cute, or that works well there. It is kind of fun. I am not a fan of painting perfectly good cabinets. I think sometimes those paint jobs are a disaster. So, the only way I will have a different look in my kitchen is when I tear them out and get new. That said, the brave people who have had their cabinets painted have beautiful kitchens. I saw one recently with a navy island and white cabinets. It looked amazing. I saw on Holmes on Holmes that they did the island in a bright cobalt blue. I was horrified until they showed the beautiful end result. My point -- personally, I wouldn't paint your cabinets because you really don't know what you're going to end up with. If you have a talent and can do it -- or if you know someone who is proven to do quality work then go for it. But, I am not sure the colors you are thinking will work. Go through pinterest and see if something else pops out. Do you know the name of your granite? Or floor? You could use that to search and see what other people have done -- you might find something you love that is cohesive with what you're keeping.

amandaf24 thanked Gina S
  • amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the other side of the room just to show the wall color. I am replacing the dining table, chairs and light fixture over the table. if anyone has any suggestions for this area, I would appreciate very much. The table to the right is a craft table and isn’t usually in the room. thanks!

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I do not think that painting the cabinets is the place to begin. I especially do not think that any gray will go with the floor, countertop, or backsplash.

" Orange" cabinets were invented by some TV show. The biggest offenders to my eyes are the floor, the lighting, and the wall color. Is there any chance that the foooring could be changed to wood or woodlook vinyl planks?

I would begin by painting the wall a warmer shade, removing all current art, and getting less glaring lighting.

amandaf24 thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • jhmarie
    4 years ago

Start by changing your lighting. Try something around 4000K - which I think is "daylight".

My preference is stained cabinets - however, I think your cabinets might be maple which is yellow and gets more yellow over time. That is not necessarily a problem as it looks great matched with certain colors, but it makes me understand the desire to possibly paint - keeping in mind that painting over previously finished cabinets is not as durable as a factory painted cabinet. Maple is smooth and does paint well.

If this was my kitchen, I would probably want light counters and backsplash - a good look with warm wood cabinets. This is my wood kitchens idea book just incase you consider not painting:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

amandaf24 thanked jhmarie
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

Others are all correct. You cant decide on any other things in your kitchen, until the lighting is changed. What you have is giving a yellowy orangy look to the entire kitchen.

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do have grey in my countertops. I’m not sure why everyone thinks that a grey cabinets wouldn’t work? is it because of my flooring?

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would love to replace the tile floors to a dark faux wood tile but the flooring in my living room is real wood and I would need to stain It dark, carry it through the kitchen and to the stairs, two hallways and two bedrooms upstairs. just didn’t want to do all of that right now. .

• H202
    4 years ago

Echo what everyone else is saying:

- Your cabinets aren't remotely orange. They are warm wood. Which is actually coming back in a huge way. Keeping them and fixing the other stuff will give you a much newer looking kitchen than painting them white or grey.

- That's not grey in your countertop

- Don't bring grey into this kitchen.

- Change floors, wall color, counters and backsplash. And lighting. Your kitchen will look brand new.

- The cabs are literally the only thing that should be kept- it's the other stuff that's holding you back.

amandaf24 thanked H202
  • amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Lisette Mauch
    4 years ago

Maybe its just the colors on my monitor but I don’t really see grey on your counters, or if it’s there its not very noticeable/is dominated by the other colors.

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jhmarie thank you! It’s nice to know that people have a preference for natural wood kitchens. I like your idea book. My cabinets are not real wood unfortunately. They are laminated which is why I am not so keen on saving them. I do love my kitchen. I just wish the colors were different.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

There are so many grays and with different undertones that it is possible there is one that would look good with your counters etc. I think a warm gray may work - warm grays often read green / gray and actually they are the only grays I like - probably because i tend towards warmer colors. A cool gray not only might not work, it would leave your present warm kitchen feeling a little cold.

Professional photos published of Olive Green Kitchen · More Info

This one is more green, but if I was painting cabinets that were not so great - buying time before i could do a total remodel, I would try a color - be a little more daring then if i was spending $$$ on new cabinets.

Computer monitors don't show true colors, so none of us are seeing exactly what you are seeing, though some pros may be familiar with your counters and know what works with them. Painting large pieces of foam board, which someone recommended I think, is a good way for you to evaluate a color in your actual kitchen. Do addess the lighting first - I don't see any windows at the working end of the kitchen making it more dependent even during the day on the right light bulbs.

Thanks for the "thanks" for the idea book - I tried to reply last night to your comment but for some reason it wouldn't work:)

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Lisette, there is definitely a good amount of different shades of grey on my countertops. They run from light to dark grey. It is however dominated by black, creme & caramel browns.

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Gina S
    4 years ago

@amandaf24 I feel like you really want to paint the cabinets. While it isn't what *I* would do I understand that the cabinets bother you and I don't think you're going to be happy with the other changes until you change the cabinets. Have you found someone paint them?

I can see the little bits of grey in the granite and the backsplash. Overall my eye doesn't see grey but it is there. When you stand back and look at the granite what color do you see? Do the same with the backsplash and floor. From here I see more of a creamy beige -- like vanilla ice cream. I'm not sure about your floor. Can you get a close up picture of the floor like you have of the countertop.

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you JHMarie. I absolutely love that green cabinet color you shared. That green may work as an island color with creme cabinets all around. The floor just really needs to go.

• amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not the floor you shared but my floor. I’d love to carry wood through out the floor and lighten the cabinets.

• lmuhrich
    4 years ago

We have a similar warm kitchens! I am still working on the lighting and backsplash but changed the countertops to a cream quartz. It brightens the kitchen so much. I no longer focus on the overall warm wood tones everywhere
    Before and after

amandaf24 thanked lmuhrich
  • amandaf24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It looks nice and the white tops definitely brightened it up. Our kitchens do look very similar.

• lmuhrich
    4 years ago

Any progresss? Would love to see the transformations

• Mel
    4 years ago

I agree with what the others have said. If you want a change change out the countertops and backsplash. You seem to have a traditional look so stick with it and I would stick with your floor tile. It’s the peach in your granite that is throwing everything off. I would go with black countertops. Something like this would look great.