SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lukkirish

The fried chicken frenzy....

Lukki Irish
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Can someone please explain why people are going nuts over the Popeye’s fried chicken sandwich? Apparently, after introducing it in early August, they quickly sold out (nationwide) and their customer base was not happy at all. Now Popeye’s has brought it back and according to the news, their parking lots have been packed ever since. Well, earlier today we had to run an errand at a shopping center where a Popeye’s is located and sure enough, it was packed and the line for the drive thru extended around the building, out of the parking lot and down the road a couple of blocks! The cars in line wouldn’t let anyone exiting from the shopping center pass in front of them out of fear that you’d cut in. A couple of drivers even laid on their horns until they knew you were just passing through. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Comments (137)

• hhireno
    4 years ago

I was on the phone with my mail away pharmacy. I wanted to document the call so I asked what is your name?

She rattled it off but I didn't understand her.

I said sorry, I didn’t understand that, would you repeat your name?

She repeats it just as fast and unclear (to my old ear).

I asked can you spell that?

Her answer was just like it sounds.

I replied since I can’t understand what you are saying, I have no idea how it is spelled. (In my head I was documenting spoke to I-d-i-o-t.)

She finally spelled it and it was not a common name, I had never heard it before. I wanted to, but didn’t, say listen, you’re doing customer service calls for a pharmacy, many of your clients are probably elderly, speak slowly and enunciate.

Lukki Irish thanked hhireno
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

hhireno, next time say it. People like that apparently need to be told such things.

(Should I change my user name to YKGOML? ;-))

• Related Discussions

Fried Chicken Method Question

Q

Comments (27)
    Heh, yup, Southern fried chicken is with flour. Skip those crumbs. I don't mind crumbs on lots of stuff and like it on the chicken strips or on pounded chicken, but... regular fried chicken is not the same, to Me, unless is straight flour with plenty of salt. I do put some garlic powder in the flour. Also flavor the egg wash with salt and garlic powder. Gotta stick your finger and taste that flour to make sure it tastes good. Sometimes I'll add a little bit of cayenne too. I too put about an inch of oil in the pan to heat. That way when you put the pieces in it comes halfway up the pieces. Sometimes I'll use a bit less oil, but find it cooks faster and absorbs less oil when you use more oil. Smiles.
    ...See More

Seasoning proportions for fried chicken?

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, I've never eaten a chick-fil-a, so that's not an issue. I sometimes feel guilty throwing out the pickle juice though, and I thought if it made a different flavor for the chicken, it might be interesting. The chickens I buy are tender and don't need marinating, but my first thought if I needed to would be buttermilk or milk. I'll try to remember the half hour in pickle juice next time I have pickle juice. I'm wondering if it isn't just a way to get a lot of salt and garlic in, though. :) Flavoring isn't my issue. It was knowing the right proportions to the flour so that other people would think there was sufficient seasoning was what I needed. :) There's no way pickle juice is going to make it underseasoned!
    ...See More

Oven-Fried Chicken

Q

Comments (6)
    Skillet-Fried Chicken Prep 10 min Total 45 min Servings 6 Ingredients 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon paprika 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3- to 3 1/2-lb cut-up whole chicken Steps In shallow dish, mix flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil (1/4 inch) over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil, skin sides down, about 10 minutes or until light brown on all sides; reduce heat to low. Turn chicken skin sides up. Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, without turning, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs). Tips Lighten it up: For 11 grams of fat and 250 calories per serving, remove skin from chicken before cooking. Use only 2 tablespoons oil in step 2. To make Buttermilk Fried Chicken: Increase flour to 1 cup. Dip chicken into 1 cup buttermilk before coating with flour mixture. Use medium-high heat to brown chicken. For the best browning, the skillet should be hot when you add the chicken. Let the chicken cook on one side without turning. When it is properly browned, it should release from the pan without sticking so the other side can be cooked. Cut into chicken pieces to make sure that juices run clear and are no longer pink.
    ...See More

lets see gluten and egg free fried chicken?

Q

Comments (18)
    War Garden, I HAVE tried the dehydrated potatoes. That's why I said what I did. There are much better coatings to be had. I'd only go to potato if no grain at all could be used, and then, as I said, I'd turn the potatoes into flour or just use potato starch, but I haven't tried those. I think it might be better than dehydrated potato flakes, which I've done both with and without potato starch. It gets mushy and tastes potato-y. It also doesn't stick as well as other things. I just fried some wet chicken (pickle juice) and the coating didn't stick well. My usual is flour > egg > flour/crumbs. That always sticks well. I think there are a lot of things that are commonly used by vegans instead of eggs or milk that could work instead, but I haven't tried them.
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Back to the topic at hand, I have never seen a Popeye's and the only Chik Fil A is miles away so have never tried that either. But I do like KFC. Their Chicken Little sandwiches are great - small (2 or 3 biters) with original style breast tenders, a dill pickle slice and a schmeer of mayo. Just right!!

Lukki Irish thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • cynic
    4 years ago

A couple of the local KFCs have changed to Popeye's. I've never tried it and have never tried Chik Fil A either. I suspect it's a situation not unlike the "McRib", intended to induce hysteria, attention and business and from the looks of this thread, it has succeeded!

The woman on the Popeye's commercial reminds me so much of a former co-worker and grates on my nerves so much (from the similarity) that I can't get myself to go there. Don't think they'd be better than KFC so I'm happy sticking with them for my chicken fix along with a little local chicken shop. But one day, I might be out and give a try.

Lukki Irish thanked cynic
  • OllieJane
    4 years ago

I see some of you comparing KFC to CFA, even though it's fried chicken, I do not put KFC and CFA in the same category. CFA does not have the traditional fried chicken on the bone. CFA is more of a chicken sandwich, strip or nugget eatery. Same with Popeye's, it is more cajun with traditional fried chicken. They may all be good, just in a different way. CFA does seem a little healthier, even though I have no idea if it is for sure.

Lukki Irish thanked OllieJane
  • Sister Sunnie
    4 years ago

Because of this thread I took myself to Popeyes to see what all the fuss was about. Its a good sandwich, bit too rich for my taste but good. I've eaten Chic fil a 's chicken sandwich numerous times. Wouldnt say either was better than the other. Still prefer Hardees big chicken filet sandwich over all..... did have a good time talking with others in line about the sandwich and all the hoopla.

Lukki Irish thanked Sister Sunnie
  • kadefol
    4 years ago

While out running errands today, we finally managed to try Popeye's chicken sandwiches. I got the classic and husband got the spicy. I ended up sharing my classic with him because, as I expected, the spicy is really spicy. Very good sandwich and though we don't often eat fast food we'll definitely indulge in this from time to time. But next time, two classics. :)

Lukki Irish thanked kadefol
  • Michael
    4 years ago

Feel like exploring? Culver's makes a good chicken sandwich.

Lukki Irish thanked Michael
  • Lukki Irish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ooooh, I forgot about Culver’s, those are popping up all over the place here. I’ve not eaten at one but apparently they’re pretty popular.

• kadefol
    4 years ago

I've had Culver's chicken sandwich before, I prefer Popeye's. I do love Culver's Cappuccino Almond Fudge frozen custard.

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I don't really care for chicken sandwiches except homemade ones I make myself with real chicken, but this post made me think of fried chicken wings today and I almost went out to get some.

• Lukki Irish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t care for wings, but bought some chicken tenders from Costco yesterday. I’m going to try making them in an Air Fryer my sister surprised me with recently. I’ve heard it’s as good as frying so I’m going to put it to the test.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Chick Fil A announced today that they will no longer be contributing to anti-LGBTQ organizations. This is good news.

I wonder if Popeyes sandwich actually has impacted their sales and they felt they needed to finally make the change. Maybe my boycott DID work!

Link to article

Lukki Irish thanked maddielee
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

That's a step in the right direction, ML -- although if motivated by a fiscal impact alone (which I suspect), it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth (much like their pickle-flavored food ;-)).

Lukki Irish thanked IdaClaire
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

I've returned to this thread because, just as predicted, my husband stopped at Popeye's for a couple of sandwiches on his way home. So I'm reporting in with our review!

Most importantly, he said that everyone was very pleasant and patient in the very long line.....no shootin', shovin', stabbin', swearin', or body slammin' to be seen, lol.

I have to say that we both thought the sandwiches were pretty darned good! It was a big piece of chicken, breaded with their regular version of seasonings and spices.....which pack a bit of spicy heat, by the way. The bun never got soggy and the pickles were good.

It didn't seem overly greasy, either. I'm not familiar with Popeye's overall because I'm quite sensitive to spicy foods. This was almost too much for me; hate to imagine what the spicy version tastes like.

Lukki Irish thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" Chick Fil A announced today that they will no longer be contributing to anti-LGBTQ organizations. "

In your mind or anyone else's, does that absolve them of the HORRENDOUS AND OUTRAGEOUS JUDGEMENT of ever doing so? Does it make history go away?

Companies like this and people that own and support them need to be dragged out of the Middle Ages. All in the name of their bogus and hypocritical "religious" beliefs.

Lukki Irish thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Lukki Irish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can’t believe this thread is still going! Thanks for the fun review rhizo! While driving to a clients today, I passed a Popeye’s and sure enough the line was still going. I think it’s hilarious!

As for CFA, their point of view reminds me of Hobby Lobby and they way they try to push their religion especially onto their employees. I’ve never understood the motivation of a business to push their points of view or believe system on others. I agree, a change of “mind” that’s driven monetarily as opposed to realizing it’s the right thing to do is not acceptable. I felt the same way yesterday when I heard that Bloomberg, who now wants to run for office, is apologizing for stop and frisk even though he still stood by it a few months ago. No way is that sincere!

• Janie
    4 years ago

Lukki Irish thanked Janie
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

I was in the neighborhood of a Popeye's on Monday so I stopped in to give their spicy chicken sandwich a try. There were about 10 cars in line so I went inside where the line was only 3 deep.

The chicken breast was double the size of the brioche bun and pretty thick as well. It was very good but I still prefer CFA's spicy chicken sandwich more. The Popeye's sandwich meal deal was almost a dollar cheaper though. I had the Jambalaya as my side dish which as far as I could tell had just rice with maybe a few tiny bits of Andouille sausage.

I'll stick with CFA for their sandwich and Popeye's for their fried chicken.

Lukki Irish thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Hearing people advocate boycotts of franchises that have corporate ownership, or any private business for that matter, over Christian religious beliefs that they don't agree with disturbs me. Will they take the same attitude with orthodox Jews, Muslims, LDS, or any other religion? Even if in their businesses, they do not discriminate and break no laws?

Overt discrimination is a different matter.

I have heard both CFA and Hobby Lobby accused of discrimination that FactCheck denied. CFA in fact donated supplies to the responders and mourners at the gay nightclub massacre (in Florida).

A donut franchise opened in my town and there were immediately a few people trying to organize a boycott -- before they had been open a week - because they disagreed with the originator's purported religious beliefs - not shared by the franchisee, by the way.

It starts to sound that if one is of certain religious leanings, one must keep them secret or not dare to have a business. Is that what freedom of religion means now? And those also may not have freedom of political speech (ie contributions) either?

PS I've never and have no interest in eating at either CFA or Popeye's - so I don't have a chicken in that fight.

• User
    4 years ago

In addition to their disgraceful stance on same sex marriage and a woman's right to control her own body, Hobby Lobby smuggled ancient artifacts from Iraq, and got caught, they are criminals that will never see a dime of my money, and neither will Chick FilA, ABT Electronics or the Amish in my area, for that matter. So raee, know that many of us refuse to do business with ANY religious fundamentalists, because the one thing they have in common is subjugation of women and girls and the LGBTQ community, and they don't get my money for that reason, not because they are religious, but because of their radical, fundamentalist religious beliefs, not because their radical, fundamentalist *christian* beliefs.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" Hearing people advocate boycotts of franchises that have corporate ownership, or any private business for that matter, over Christian religious beliefs that they don't agree with disturbs me. Will they take the same attitude with orthodox Jews, Muslims, LDS, or any other religion? "

I understand your comment and think the pushback isn't quite for the reasons nor how you've described it.

There was a time, and there still is for many, when personal religious beliefs or absence thereof were treated as a private matter. Key words are PERSONAL and PRIVATE. People can make choices and do what they want in their private lives. Do personal beliefs and feelings belong out in public? I don't think so. But when personal and private beliefs are brought out in public, or when same are self-advanced as being relevant to a public image and how a particular business operates, the matter is no longer personal or private.

In N Out, owned by a self-described pious but hypocritical and trashy family all the same, is now in the hands of a young heir who was on marriage #4 by age 32. They have bible verses printed on cups. I won't eat there.

Chick Fil A is very public about its puritanical and bigoted beliefs. I won't eat there.

Hobby Lobby puts out full page newspaper ads espousing its extreme views it thinks are well founded based on the owner's religious beliefs.

All three have owners who follow more or less the same, extremist fundamentalist beliefs. Well outside the American mainstream. If they choose to lead with these views in public the public is free to accept or reject them. This has nothing to do with societal discrimination against minorities. For you to compare it to same is mildly offensive.

Yes, these are privately owned businesses, they can say what they want. Public companies don't do that, for fear of offending or estranging customers. These three, and others, don't care about that and so deserve to lose business from people they offend with their extreme views. And you can be sure they lose lots of business and have other problems for this reason, arising from people who find their views offensive.

I can recall reading of several instances where there were public demonstrations blocking proposed new Chick Fil A sites because of the owner's extreme views. The public outrage carried the day, the proposals weren't approved.

• llitm
    4 years ago

Can anyone provide a link to an example of "rapid talk"? I've searched but no luck. Really have no idea what it refers to.

As for the sandwiches, they sound good but I've no doubt a couple of bites would be all I could handle. They sound delicious but very rich and filling.

Lukki Irish thanked llitm
  • bbstx
    4 years ago

@llitm Try this. https://youtu.be/ExKCcndqK5c It is a bit of an exaggeration but not by much!

Lukki Irish thanked bbstx
  • llitm
    4 years ago

Thank you, bbstx. I can't say I've ever noticed that but will now pay more attention!

Lukki Irish thanked llitm
  • nini804
    4 years ago

Gah....I wish those proposed CFAs that were denied would get built in our area! We have ONE for a fairly largish suburban area and the lines are ridiculous. I need to google where that was bc I can assure you, no one protests against them around here, lol.

Lukki Irish thanked nini804
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

You don't have to look very far, the public sees many of its views as extremist and unacceptable.

Below is a link to one newspaper article. There are many around to find. I saw another, a principal of a New Orleans (I believe) high school declined the company's offer to deliver a free lunch to the school. The principal said that the company's values don't align with what the school tries to do and he preferred they not have a presence in his school.

In other news, the company opened it's first location in the UK last month, in early October. It's been the scene of many protests. The company has just announced the store will be closed in 6 months.

If there has been no discussion or action in your area about this company, why do you think that is?

Chick Fil A protests

Another story about other locations not wanted, same paper

Buffalo Airport says No

• Lukki Irish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ha! That clip is hilarious! I’ve not run into anyone doing that, but hearing it on the drug commercials drives me bananas.

What Elmer said. When it comes to religion, I don’t care about what others belief in, I just don’t want it shoved in my face, most especially from a business. It’s really just that plain and simple. When a business pushes it’s beliefs onto their patrons or employees and those beliefs are aimed to single out a particular group of people, that hurts all of us. At the very least, it’s disrespectful to the community that’s supporting them, Boycotting is a good way for the public as a whole, to send a clear message that what they are doing is inappropriate.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

From what I can see, the CFA boycotts don't appear to be effective.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I think many, if not most, of us neither care about nor put much stock in collective boycotts of brands or companies -- but we DO follow our inner convictions and leanings when it comes to where our money goes. I believe with certainty that there are businesses such as CFA that may be thriving, but could be making a helluva lot more money than they already are if they were also in the receipt of the dollars of those of us who find their tenets and products repugnant.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" I don’t care about what others belief in, I just don’t want it shoved in my face, most especially from a business. "

This is EXACTLY my sentiment, one that I was unable to express so succinctly and to the point. Friends I've discussed this with (of several religious affiliations, and several very active in their churches) feel the same way. Thanks.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" From what I can see, the CFA boycotts don't appear to be effective. "

Wishful thinking?

Look a bit more. From my comments above, you can see that one store was forced to close and several others not permitted to open. And the protests inform potential customers, many of whom will decide to take their business elsewhere.

How can you suggest that the public outcry that produce these decisions was "not effective"?

• nini804
    4 years ago

I guess my area just likes CFA chicken and doesn’t feel inclined to protest poultry, Elmer??? :) Bc I can certainly see better ways to spend my time than joining a protest against a business like CFA. Volunteering in the food pantry or working with the free Spanish-speaking preschool in our town come to mind. Even though I don’t ascribe to CFA’s beliefs regarding same-sex marriage...they are entitled to them. And people who choose to can certainly boycott with their pocketbook. But... don’t think that those boycotts and protests don’t rile up those that do follow their beliefs. Shoot...the protests probably make fundamentalists eat CFA maniacally, lol.

Lukki Irish thanked nini804
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Well, just did a google on CFA sales growth and yeah, they seem to be growing quite well. I didn't dive deep so maybe there are pockets of the country in which they are doing great, other areas they might be doing poorly. But overall they seem lucrative.

The boycott of 6 or 7 years ago (?) definitely backfired in my area. Prior, they had a good amount of traffic. After, the lines wrapped around and out the parking lot. *Sigh* I got the feeling from some of my acquaintances that they wanted to send a fundamentalist christian message. (Note I used a small "c".)

Lukki Irish thanked nickel_kg
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

How can you suggest that the public outcry that produce these decisions was "not effective"?

Simply by driving by any CFA restaurant ( in my area at least ) and seeing the long lines at the drive thru and inside counters.

Maybe a small fraction of the population is protesting or boycotting but a large percentage simply enjoy the food and ignore all else.

Don't believe me, read this article about their growth.

Boycotts have not stopped the growth of Chick-fil-A

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I think you're right, nini. I am quite sure that retailers such as CFA and Hobby Lobby have their own "base", if you will. It is what it is ... and at the end of the day, it's just freakin' dead CHICKEN and imported Chinese detritus, so yeah -- focusing on the positive, growth-producing outlets for making real change in the lives of our neighbors is the smart and healthy thing to do in the face of these things we abhor.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I think it is very hard to make assumptions on how many or who actually boycotts these types of socio-politically oriented businesses. Most of us just protest in the way Elmer describes - avoidance of any patronage. While they may seem to be doing well or thriving, how much better could they be doing if they did not hold these extreme viewpoints?

btw, I have never seen any long lines at the only CFA in my area..........

Lukki Irish thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Yeah, many fundamentalist mega-churches are doing well too. Until their very well enriched leaders get caught in various nefarious or "sinful" activities. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing. THe frequency with which that has happened is unbelievable.

And no, I'm not giving a pass to the horrendous past conduct and lax oversight of Catholic priests.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Hobby Lobby puts out full page newspaper ads espousing its extreme views it thinks are well founded based on the owner's religious beliefs.

I've seen the newspaper ads that appear at (traditionally) Christian holidays, and have never seen one that espouses anything other than fundamental (not fundamentalist, Presbyterians share the same belief!) tenets of Christian belief. Nothing radical. I've been in a Hobby Lobby store only once, did not notice any proselytizing in there.

Are there signs in CFAs that do that?

I am disgusted by hypocrisy in any religious "practitioner" as you describe.

It sometimes just smacks of willingness to deny people of their livelihood because their religious differences within our society -- just as many of my ancestors were. And that I am not comfortable with.

Lukki Irish thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" I've seen the newspaper ads that appear at (traditionally) Christian holidays "

The one I notice every year in my paper concerns and is just before the 4th of July. Which is neither a religious nor specifically an extremist fundamentalist evangelical holiday. But their ad does include religious language they believe to be relevant to the holiday, very inappropriately so.

• OllieJane
    4 years ago

How is it in your face?? This whole fiasco started "way back when"- only because everyone knows they are closed on Sundays. I don't think they go around advertising it, I believe its the boycotters that make a big deal about it.

• OllieJane
    4 years ago

And, they change their stance on donations and apparently, you still are not happy?

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" And, they change their stance on donations and apparently, you still are not happy?"

Does that change history or change their very publicly announced longtime views and practices that they spent millions of dollars on, to take a stand against the rights of members of our society that are guaranteed under our laws? No.

They can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned, I'll speak out against them at every opportunity. If there is a deity, which I don't believe to be the case, these bigots may find their happy ever after destination at death to be other than what they expect it to be.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

This opinion piece regarding CFA's new policy on donations was written by a member of the LGBTQ community. I think her thoughts on this are worth considering, and since the piece is timely to this discussion, I thought I'd share it here:

CFA Backlash

I've always felt that meaningful change is something that comes about slowly through hard work and a willingness to listen to others. Is CFA sincere or is this a calculated marketing ploy? Only time will tell, but what they've done is a step in the right direction.

For the record, I have not supported their past positions, but I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Well. I won’t shop at Hobby Lobby because of their Health insurance coverage for women employees. The company gets to decide the type of birth control the company health plans will cover. I believe women should be the ones to choose their own birth control means not the corporate headquarters.

Lukki Irish thanked maddielee
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I've been in a Hobby Lobby store only once, did not notice any proselytizing in there.

I've been in Hobby Lobby three times; actually did buy something -- yarn with which to knit while traveling -- on two of those three occasions. Their muzak system plays Christian tunes. I'm not exactly saying it's a great deal better to hear a muzak version of "Afternoon Delight" at the grocery store, but it's noticeably non-secular at HL. I find there to be a strong disconnect between the holier-than-thou music and the aisle-upon-aisle of mass-produced stuff that is mostly garbage made in Asia on the backs of those that Jesus would have called "the least of these."

You can purport to operate a business on "Biblical principles" all day long, but when what you really mean is that you run things on a narrowly-defined set of "family values" - as long as the family looks and acts a certain way - then I've got a BIG problem with that. And I'm even sorry I bought yarn there.

I guess you'd say I know this mindset very well. I lived it myself for a number of years that I wish to God I could have a do-over on. Coming out on the other side of the religious right and learning what the phrase "God is love" means is enlightening and liberating. Obviously I'm still grappling with how to extend my love and acceptance to those who hold to an extremely conservative view, and admittedly I'm not there yet. Then again (and by no means am I drawing a corollary between myself and him), even Jesus got pissed enough to overturn the tables in the temple.

• Michael
    4 years ago

So, do you like or dislike Popeye's chicken?

Lukki Irish thanked Michael
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I don't know. I've never tried it. Never had CFA either. Used to eat KFC, but now I find their chicken way too greasy for my tastes.

Lukki Irish thanked DawnInCal
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" Is CFA sincere or is this a calculated marketing ploy? "

I think I understand what you're intending to express. Damage control is PR, not marketing.

Damage control steps are rarely sincere. Those in damage control mode want the negative consequences of their conduct to go away without having to publicly assess the motivation and reasoning behind the conduct to begin with

Too frequently, people who apologize mention remorse for hurting others feelings without apologizing for their own opinions or conduct that were the trigger. Compare "I'm sorry about the reaction you had" and expressly not "I did something wrong and I'm sorry for what I did"

I have no doubt that Chick Fil A regrets the backlash and the negative consequences of its action. Just like those in this thread who expressed opinions and left before having to engage in conversation, Does anyone doubt that the owners have changed their stripes and are no longer extremists and intolerant bigots. They had to speak up when the publicity about their sentiments starting costing them money. They wouldn't have otherwise, that's my guess. Sentiments remain as before.

• Lukki Irish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

“How is it in my face?”

Well, maybe it’s demographical thing but we have 4 or 5 Hobby Lobby stores in our neck of the woods. I’ve been in ALL of them many times and there is religious “stuff” all over the place, as well as the music. By boycotting, I don’t mean formal boycotts, I mean by making a conscious choice to shop at places that don’t feel the need to push their religious beliefs on others and/or exclude a group of people for any reason that falls under the umbrella of their religion.

Thank you Maddie for mentioning the insurance issues which was really the straw for me with Hobby Lobby (which is sad because they do have the best yarn for making afghans). I didn’t post about it to avoid opening another can of worms but I strongly believe that women should have the right to choose.

Ida, you hit the nail on the head (as you often do) with your response about knowing if customer boycotts of a store does affect their bottom line. Of course there is no sure way to tell, but even if it doesn’t affect it at all, it’s civil or peaceful way to support those who are being discriminated against.