SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwhoughton

15A warming drawer

kwhoughton
4 years ago

I have purchased a Bosch warming drawer. The Specs. say 120V 450W and 15A ("circuit breaker"). My concern is the word "circuit breaker". All other electrical specs I read will usually say 15A or 20A as a rating. I understand 15A and 20A circuits and know that all of my home receptacles are on 20A circuits with 15A receptacles. I also know that many items that are rated below 15A can plug into the 20 A circuit as long as I don't overload the circuit. However, this warming drawer seems to be wanting a 15A breaker. I have never run into this phrasing on appliances in the past. My question is this: Does anyone think the specs are telling me to actually plug this into a 15A circuit and that plugging this unit into a 20A circuit would be an issue? (Like what happens if the unit somehow fails and starts drawing 18A, which would not trip the 20A circuit. Would it damage the unit?) Or, are they just stating the rating in a different way? I can always change the breaker to a 15A if necessary, or I could hard wire a 15A GFCI between the existing outlet and the warmer.

Comments (23)