SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maks_2000

Does anyone have warming drawer under their scoop drawer?

maks_2000
13 years ago

I love my kitchen remodel with my "scoop" drawer (spatulas, spoons, ladles, hot pads) under my cooktop & my warming drawer under my scoop drawer. We bought the Kitchen Aid Warming drawer (KEWS105SSS03) with a slow cooker setting (it looks like they added higher temperature settings with "high" & "low" slow cooker settings).

I'm interested if anyone has a similar set up with a KA or other brand warming drawer? It seems that when I use the slow cooking option (5 to 8 hours -- of course at the higher temperatures; I think 225F & 250F) it heats up everything above it. The stainless cooktop is warm, but ok, & the cabinet seems ok. My problem is my metal handled utensils (even those with silicone coupled with the metal that allows me to use & not get burned) get so hot that they are difficult to use -- they are hot! Of course, when using the warming drawer function it is usually on low & not for much longer than 30 minutes to an hour, yet.

I emailed KA to make sure we weren't missing some insulation & their answer to me pretty much was -- "working as designed, move the scoop drawer". I can't imagine this is a unique installation (unless KA isn't used to serious cooks installing & really using the warming drawer -- perhaps they are planning for it to be installed in the oven stack which I think would be hard to use).

DH is going to research thin flame retardant insulation to place on top, but I'm interested if anyone has experienced this with another vendor's warming drawer -- perhaps using for a longer period of time when entertaining? Are other vendors' insulated on top?

Thanks for your insight!

Comments (7)