SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_334016793

Staining a new pressure treated wood deck

Michelle
4 years ago

The pressure treated wood for my deck was purchased in early October, and the deck installed 1-2 weeks later. It's starting to get cold here in the Northeast and it's rained at least once this past week, so I'm not sure if I should stain and seal the deck now or wait until spring. I've read about measuring the wood moisture first and I'm not sure how I'd go about that, but obviously that's a factor.

Whether I do it now or later, should I use oil- or water-based stain, or maybe one of those quick dry finishes so I can bang it out in one day? I was thinking of getting transparent since it's new wood, but maybe semi-transparent would look a little nicer since there are a few different colors in the wood.

My deck is small and although you can't see it here, it's mostly covered by the roof overhang. I'm supposing I won't need the highest-end stain or sealer since I'm not putting furniture on the deck nor is it very exposed to the sun, but I'm sure I could benefit from mildew control with the climate I live in.

Comment