Pumpkin recipes for my 3 pie pumpkins? Not pie.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

I brought in my 3 pie pumpkins yesterday. I use them for Halloween outdoors, then bring them in. Anyone have any non-pie recipes? I know they are more watery than the usual squash I buy (butternut) so just baking them halved with butter and seasonings that way, I think, is out.

I made pumpkin butter last year. Good, but too much work relative to the yield. And no one would touch it except me. I still have some of that in the freezer from last year. That involved cooking the pulp down in the slow cooker for a few days.

I have a pumpkin curry soup recipe I love - I use canned pumpkin for that - but fresh pumpkins are too watery even for that.

I'm at a loss what to do with these. Thanks!

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

Pumpkin bread? Make little loaves and freeze to eat or give as gifts? Pumpkin waffles and pancakes? Muffins?

Save     Thanked by linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
plllog

I think the pie pumpkins I get are different. They're not watery. You can let your pumpkins set awhile and they'll dry a bit. I've used regular, wetter pumpkin in pumpkin lasagna, and that works fine. Just oil and roast strips of pumpkin and layer them up with ricotta, other cheeses, and béchamel. I put lemon in the ricotta (and eggs). If you want an actual recipe, I can post it. It's really good, but a bit decadent.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Would it be possible to cook the pumpkin then let it sit in a sieve over a bowl to drain off some of the liquid so the resulting puree could be used in bread or other regular pumpkin recipes?

1 Like Save     Thanked by linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
sheilajoyce_gw

My kids enjoyed beef stew in a pumpkin shell when they were little. Clean out the pumpkin, save the lid, and make your favorite beef stew cooking it half way on the stove top. Then put the pumpkin shell in a roasting pan with sides, pour the stew into the shell, put the pumpkin lid on top, lower the over shelf to accommodate the height of the pumpkin, and roast it at about 325 or so for another 2 hours. When you serve the stew, use a long kitchen spoon and scrape some of the pumpkin out also as part of the stew. Serve with cornbread and honey butter.

1 Like Save     Thanked by linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
bragu_DSM 5

This rather decadent dish is the pumpkin gooey .... lotsa butter, cream cheese and copious amounts of confectioner's sugar.

You can get your 'sugar high' just sniffing it, but you will want to inhale ...

nancyjane_gardener

Soup.

Save    
cindy_7

Pumpkin Cheesecake. Peel and slow roast the pumpkin in the oven after being cut into smaller pieces. If you have a convection oven that would help remove some of the moisture.

I roasted my 3 pumpkins last night. Unlike the previous times, they were not watery at all. No different in consistency than butternut squash. It must be either that they are different pumpkin cultivars or I did something somehow different. I did pierce the skins all over with a knife. Read that somewhere. Hard to believe that would make THAT much of a difference though.

They are 2 different colors of flesh, though. I know I bought at 2 different locations. 2 (bought at a nursery that also has a farm) are yellow in color and the other one bought at a grocery store is orange, typical "pumpkin" color.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Maybe by piercing all over to let the steam escape made the difference? Almost tempting to get a couple and do a side-by-side pierced/unpierced to see!

Save    
plllog

Linnea, I think the difference in water content is most likely a growing difference.

Have you done anything with your roasted pumpkins yet?

Not yet. Still thinking. I read my notes for the pumpkin bread recipe I made last year with my roasted pumpkin: I had written "not pumpkin-y enough with my own pumpkin." I don't think any kind of a rich dessert, though. I'm the only one who would eat it.

The pulp (if that's the right word) was very soft when I scooped it out of the skins. So that may limit what I can do with it.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

I have a recipe for yeast rolls that use pumpkin or squash puree, along with whole wheat flour, the kids love them.

I've had pumpkin ravioli in a sage and browned butter sauce, it was really good. If you don't want to make your own pasta you can use wonton wrappers. I've added pumpkin to hummus and it was pretty good too.

I've stirred pureed pumpkin or squash into chili and lentil soup, but if your chili packs a punch at all, you won't taste it in there.

Good luck, I'm trying to find some way to use up 72 butternut squash, LOL. Good think I like squash and I can use it to make a fake "pumpkin" pie, Mother loves that.

Annie

I found 2 recipes I am going to try tomorrow. One a pumpkin bread, the other a pumpkin / black bean soup. Reviews for both are very good. After that I'll decide where the rest of the pulp goes.

I kind of want to try a pumpkin souffle - I don't know why - probably way over my head.

I have yet to puree it though. It's very soft. Not sure if that's really needed. It has a lot of "strings" in the pulp - it seems like pumpkin is really prone to that. I don't know if the strings cook down.

Save    
pkramer60

I have the recipe for pumpkin bread pudding from Wildfire restaurant. Very good and easy to make. bread pudding

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fall and Thanksgiving Treat Your Rooms to Pumpkin Pie Orange
Stir some pumpkin colors into your interiors for design deliciousness that lasts well beyond Thanksgiving
Full Story
Summer Fruits and Vegetables Summer Crops: How to Grow Pumpkins
Start in spring to grow your own fall decorations and have plenty left for pies
Full Story
My Houzz Warm Up Fall With an Apple Pie Party at Home
A pie enthusiast shares a recipe, ideas for pretty crusts, and tips on how she makes the most of her rental kitchen
Full Story