SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therustyone

Recipe for ediej1209

Rusty
4 years ago

Rather than possibly hijacking Amylou's "Food Floof" thread, I'm posting the Buttermilk Cake recipe here.

In my own defense, I want to say that when Grandma sent the recipe to me, she did NOT include any mixing instructions. It was simply a list of ingredients and the oven temperature. She had a lot more confidence in my baking abilities at the time than I deserved! So the method is what I have worked out over the years. But honestly, this seems to be a 'no-fail' recipe (as long as you include all the ingredients LOL). It always seems to come out good no matter how you mix it.

GRANDMA'S BUTTERMILK CAKE

Preheat oven to 350.

Generously grease a 9" X 13" pan.

Ingredients:

1 C shortening *

2 C sugar *

3 C flour

4 Eggs

1 C buttermilk

1 tsp. Baking Soda

½ tsp. Baking powder

1 tsp Salt

1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract

1 C Pecans, coarsely chopped**

1/4 C Pecans halves or larger pieces. (Optional, for decorating the top.)

Method:

Sift dry ingredients together.

Beat shortening & sugar together until light and fluffy.

Add buttermilk and vanilla, mix well.

Add eggs and flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately, mixing well after each addition.

Gently fold in pecans. (Batter will be quite thick)

Pour into prepared pan, top with larger pecan pieces. Bake at 350 degrees approximately 45 minutes***, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

I've never frosted this cake, because Grandma didn't. It really doesn't need any icing. But my son frosts it when he makes it, He uses a canned icing, Butter Pecan, I think.

* Sugar & shortening measurements are level cups. My ‘trick’ is to make the cups slightly rounded when measuring, this will help make a nice shiny, almost sticky, top to the cake. Just don’t add too much extra sugar or shortening, it will ruin the cake. Best to make it exactly per recipe the first time.

** I usually use closer to 1 1/2 cups of pecans, my late husband did love them!

***Ovens often vary, so begin checking for doneness at about 30 or 35 minutes, as soon as cake top is nicely rounded.

Enjoy!

Rusty

Comments (6)