SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alice_espaldon61

Anthurium Bud & Leaves Turning Brown

Alice Espaldon
4 years ago

Hi,
I purchased my Anthurium a month ago and thought I was doing a good job taking care of it. It receives indirect bright light, misting every morning and water it once a week. It is potted in peat moss and haven’t feed it any fertilizer. A couple of weeks ago I noticed some brown spots on newer/younger leaves and thought it was normal. The plant was watered on Nov 1 and today I noticed more brown spots and one of the flower buds had completely browned. I'm upset because I do have a tendency of killing plants and thought I was getting better Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (44)

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry you're having trouble, but I don't think this is a plant for beginners.

I don't wish to be a bummer, but I see multiple possible issues. The peat isn't great, it's water retentive & not fast draining, likely to be trouble.

Could there be water collecting in the bottom of the outer pot?

Misting can be controversial, around here there are mixed opinions, I tend not to mist, I prefer humidity trays.

Hopefully others who grows these will chime in.

Alice Espaldon thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    4 years ago

Tell us how you water and how you determine it should be watered.

tj

• Related Discussions

Concerned: new white buds turning brown (pics) Thrips? BS?

Q

Comments (8)
    Pic of typical roses with thrips. I still think yours might have some thrips, but they have something else eatting them up and the leaves. No one is commenting on the bites in the leaves. The thrips damage is cosmetic on the petals of the roses. The rose I have, Moonstone, that the leaves looked like yours had several pests, one was thips when it bloomed. It also had rose slugs and sawflies. Other than that I couldn't find any other pest on it to account for the leaves looking like this. If your roses are young and this Bayer you got is the soil drench I'd look up the thread Redsox created and see her pics of how her young roses burned using it. I believe it killed the pests but it burned the roses. I think the foliar app is a safer app than the soil on young roses. If you do use it, make sure you water deeply first. One other thing that maybe totally unrelated and probably is, how early in the am do you water? The water needs to be evaporated off the roses by the time the sun is hot enough to burn the roses or the blooms can sunburn. I noticed the water on the leaves and you asked that.
    ...See More

Some buds turned brown and shriveled up- Need advice

Q

Comments (5)
    Julia, Kathy has it totally correct.....Example...those that I sent you were cut back....Fans and scapes. Those will slowly die back. From the center of the clumps and each fan, new growth will appear. You should see it starting in about 2 weeks from planting. As she also said...you must water thoroughly. Too get the ground wet 2-8 inches below the crust, takes a great deal of water. To see how effective you are, do as Kathy said.....dig down a few inches about 6 inches out from your new planting. You may be suprised to see dry ground, even after standing there with a sprinkler/nozzle and thinking you had watered well. You want to insure the new plants get off to a good start so water real well. Once they are established it is "Ideal" to insure they get about an inch of water per week. Or you can do as I do with my Mother Nature Bed......"Plant it and forget it".....LOL Hope it survives...:) Hope this helps...... Rick
    ...See More

buds turned brown, never flowered

Q

Comments (4)
    Drooping leaves is usually associated with overcrowding. How long ago did you plant them? Iris need to be divided every 3 to 5 years. As far as trimming, I usually just trim leaves that are unhealthy or simply pull them off, provided the leaf is next on the base of the rhizome. Carlos
    ...See More

Plumeria leaves turning yellow/brown; Some leaves curl

Q

Comments (58)
    Jennifer —-(Spraying with Neem Oil and or and other mixtures to eradicate the insects organically could still harm those beneficial insects. Some people will just let those pest stay on the tree because they dont want to harm them. Its a difficlt choice to make for some and you need to understand that some bad infestations that might get out of hand and could cause your trees to become weak and allow other diseses to slowly kill your tree. i always try and let Mother Nature work on the right balance of the pest verses the beneficial insets to keep everything in check. But sometimes i will have to step in and use more than organic to combact the problem. its up to you to decide what is best for your tree. Laura Even those that eat leaves ___ Katydids 🌺
    ...See More
  • socks
    4 years ago

That’s great, photo. Very helpful to me and I hope to Alice as well.

My 2 gifted anthuriums are outside year-round here in Southern California. You’ve given me the courage and advice so can repot. I never liked them much because I didn’t understand them. Thank you for taking the time.

When is their bloom time?

Good luck with your plant, Alice. I hope you can get it repotted.

• Alice Espaldon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Photo Synthesis thank you for all the information. I’m going to repot it right away. One more question, do anthuriums prefer to have room for their roots or to be root bound?

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

Since these plants are native to the tropics, they don't really have a blooming season. Plus, their spathes can last for so long that they pretty much can bloom year-round. If you can grow them outdoors all year long, even better. (Damn you and your Southern Californian
    climate! lol...) I've been able to keep mine outdoors up until Halloween, but now it's just too cold and I've had to bring them back in for the winter. Although, I do have a small greenhouse that I keep heated throughout the winter, but I had to buy a new cover for it, that hasn't arrived just yet.

One thing that's worth mentioning is that new plants fresh from commercial greenhouses will usually get treated with a chemical called gibberillic acid, which induces these plants into sending out spathes much sooner than they normally would. And once this chemical gets used up, your plants may go without blooming for quite some time, until these plants can overcome their "addiction" to this chemical. If you can call it that. To give you an example, I bought this Anthurium back around Valentine's Day. I fell in love with its deep blood red colouring as soon as I seen it; much darker than most I've seen in recent years.

Anyways, I brought it back home and repotted it right away. Then I placed it in my front yard, where it got plenty of bright, sunny, indirect sunlight all spring and all summer. The original spathes all died off, and even many of the much larger, older leaves as well. It kind of sulked for most of the year, but I wasn't all that concerned because new growth was emerging and growing at a fairly decent pace. It wasn't until the end of summer when it finally began to send out some new spathes. The one you see in the photo is the first to emerge. There are a couple more emerging, with even more budding out. I was glad to see it blooming again, because this was a good sign that it had recovered from its addiction and was blooming because it wants to, and not because it was forced to. Had I kept it indoors under lower lighting conditions, then this process would've taken much longer to complete. I also have a pink variety just like this one, but this deep, blood red variety is my absolute favorite. Back when I first bought it, the spathes were so dark they almost appeared black. My only regret is that I didn't buy more of them when I had the chance. Fortunately for me, this one has been growing new foliage nonstop, as well as sending out even more new growth from the base of the plant. I can't wait to get my greenhouse setup, so I can move these beauties into it, where they can keep warm and grow and bloom even more.

Once you figure out this plant's most basic needs, it'll reward you with so many spathes that almost seem to last forever.

Alice Espaldon thanked Photo Synthesis
  • Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

I don't think any plant "prefers" being rootbound. But these plants certainly won't mind being in smaller pots. I didn't see your question until after I posted my lengthy reply. I don't mind answering any questions that you might have. That's what these forums are here for. So ask away! In fact, I went and snapped a couple more photos to better illustrate what I've been rambling on about, HaHa...

As you can see, there's a handful of the larger, older leaves still hanging on. Those have incurred some damage in one form or another. But all of the smaller, newer growth is very healthy and green. This plant didn't look all that great for most of the year, but I just left that foliage to die back naturally on its own. Because as long as it was still green, then it was still photosynthesizing and providing food for the rest of the plant. Most people would just cut away any damaged foliage to make their plants look more appealing, but this would only set your plant back even more, and make their recovery take just that much longer. Once any of these leaves have turned completely yellow, only then will I prune them away.

The pot that I have this planted in is glazed ceramic, so it doesn't dry out too fast. As I stated earlier, these plants are no strangers to water, so they don't like drying out too fast. With the 50/50 potting mix that I suggested, you'll never have to worry about watering your plants too much, because any excess water will drain away. Back during the hot summer months, I was practically watering this plant every day. Not once did i ever worry about giving it too much water. But now that the weather has cooled down, I have significantly scaled back on how often it does get watered. Just as long as it doesn't go for too long, then your plant will do just fine. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I plan on keeping this plant in this pot for quite some time. If it needs fresh potting mix, then I'll gladly change it, but it'll get repotted back into this same pot until it has most definitely gotten to be too big for it. Only then will I give it a slightly bigger one.

I think I've covered just about everything I can think of. But if anybody has any more questions, then feel free to ask.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

I have noticed that my anthuriums indoors bloom only when it's warm (70-75F), when temps fall slightly below that in winter they sort of stop growing and definitely stop producing new flowers. they also will not bloom when they don't receive sufficient light:

mine are always in part-sun in west window. when they get 4-5 hours of sun they grow and bloom best.

Alice Espaldon thanked petrushka (7b)
  • socks
    4 years ago

Alice, I hope you don’t mind my intruding into your thread.

Photo, it’s a little risky having mine outside. The tag says low of 60, and we are going some below that, but they are under an eave. One is kind of floppy in the pot. When I repot, can I place a little deeper in the mix to stabilize it?

Yes, that blood red is gorgeous.

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

If your plants have been grown indoors and want to move it outside, then do so gradually. I would place it in a completely shaded area and give it time to adjust, before gradually moving into a much brighter shaded location. As for the minimum nighttime temperature, I typically let mine stay outside until it gets down into the low 50s. Unless there is rain in the forecast, then I'll bring my plants in, because cold and wet don't mesh well with tropical plants.

You say that your plant is floppy? What do you use as a soil mix? You might be having soil issues if your plant has become floppy. Because even a top-heavy Anthurium would still be fairly rigid and self-supportive to some degree. I would repot that Anthurium into a more bark-y potting mix, like the one I suggested, and see if that doesn't fix whatever issues that you might be having. These plants don't really mind having their roots disturbed. If it were mine, I wouldn't even hesitate with repotting it. It won't mind one bit.

Before I saw your question, I was planning on posting a couple more photos of my plant's potting mix. Hopefully, it will give you a better example of what I'm talking about.

Even though I watered this a week ago, it is still fairly damp, which is perfectly fine. Like I mentioned earlier, these plants don't like drying out too much for too long. Whenever I do water this plant, any excess water quickly drains away, and whatever lingering moisture gets absorbed by the orchid bark so the potting mix never stays soggy.

• Alice Espaldon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Socks of course I don’t mind! I want both our anthuriums to flourish!

Photo thank you again for taking the time to help us out. I really do appreciate the photos and information!

• socks
    4 years ago

Thank you, Alice.

I got the repotting materials yesterday. Sometime ago the small one was repotted but cannot remember the mix however I see perlite in it. A couple of the stems are very loose like they’ve grown out of the mix, not firm in the mix, falling over a bit. I think the whole plant needs to be seated lower

Amazing what you see when you take a picture. Obviously the big one could use a bigger pot and the little one has yellow edges on its leaves!

• escolat
    4 years ago

My Anthurium has been growing near a west window for about a year.

Alice Espaldon thanked escolat
  • HU-811859552
    3 years ago

Hey. I have the same problem as Alice, my flower bugs are drying and turning brown before opening. I don’t let the plant to dry out completely and it’s placed near the window. Can someone please assist what could be the problem? Thank you

• Alice Espaldon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry I can’t help you, haven’t got a flower bud since this post.

• socks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I overwintered mine outside, and it looked barely alive this spring but it recovered. Not as lush and beautiful as yours, photosynthesis. I put some shade loving succulents under it. It’s on the north side of the house.

• escolat
    3 years ago

Current pic of my Anthurium that I've had since Christmas 2018! It has become my 'living centerpiece'. I got it because it was on sale at Home Depot and I needed cheap decor for the holidays. I expected it to slowly die and to my surprise, it is thriving in it's original pot! It is in the kitchen which faces west and south, so it gets a little dappled sun.( I believe it needs a little sun to bloom in the north) I never mist it since it has waxy leaves, my kitchen isn't that humid, since I rarely cook! My kitchen stays cool, low 70's. I only water (with dirty aquarium water) when the top soil feels dry and instantly drain it. It is never out of bloom! I can't believe how easy this plant has been to care for( I actually think Anthuriums are quite tough plants...I think that their care is similar to Phalaenopsis orchids.))...I wanted to repot it, but it seems to like being crowded. I hope telling my experience will help others with this plant.

• HU-222143083
    3 years ago

My anthurium was doing fine but recently I see that their leaves are somewhat deformed and even it's flowers look some what deformed !! Please give me some advice on what to do with my anthurium

• HU-222143083
    3 years ago

This is how the leaf looks like

• escolat
    3 years ago

I believe deformed flowers happen when the plant is turned constantly....my flowers in the previous pic are deformed too, although healthy. I turn my plant daily because it is moved during meals! Your soil looks very dark and heavy. I would repot with a good soil combined with orchid mix to assure drainage. Always empty the saucer. Only water when the top feels dry. If your plant is outside now, the leaves may be scorched from the intense sun. Check your exposure.

• petrushka (7b)
    3 years ago

this is thrip damage,

• HU-222143083
    3 years ago

Thank you escolat ,, it's true that the weather her is very hot , I'll try to keep it in partial shade n change the potting mix

• HU-222143083
    3 years ago

Petrushka# il try using some organic insecticide

• Aanchal
    3 years ago

I have a situation here with my anthurium. It was a healthy plant, untill 2 weeks back when I saw a leaf browning , then 2 -3 more. Browning starts at the tips of green leaves, even on spathe. Have kept it in kitchen window, in bright light but no direct sunlight. I water it once a week.
    Any suggestions on how to revive it? 😒

• escolat
    3 years ago

After 9 months, my pink anthurium has finally decided to grow a new flower! Amazing, the old flowers have lasted since I purchased it, so it was never 'out of bloom'. Perhaps I should remove the old flowers(spathes) so that the plant can devote its energy on new production. This plant sits next to my stove, enjoying the steam from boiling pots. It is in the original pot, doing well, so I don't repot. It faces South but far from the window. Maybe I'll repot next Spring into a slightly larger one.

Aanchal, make sure your plant is watered only when upper soil is dry and never let it sit in water. It looks like the older leaves on your plant are browning, which is common. Is the new growth healthy and stable?( I simply trimmed my older brown leaves off) Your soil looks red & 'very peaty' and probably holds water too long or becomes very crusty when dry.. I think it is a drainage problem. I would repot with a free-draining soil.Only water 'to touch',not every week. I sometimes let my plants slightly droop, then I water. I really feel that anthuriums are similar to moth orchids in care...They look exotic, but are pretty tough... mine are growing in the kitchen too...Good luck!

• amore love
    3 years ago

have similar situation. I thought my plant had a disease because there was a huge brown spot on the leaf. Then more brown tips grew on leaf and new leaf. I reported it. Some leaves are healthy. And some is questionable.

• amore love
    3 years ago

Any tips? You can see the baby red bud isn't doing to well

• amore love
    3 years ago

• escolat
    3 years ago

Do you have drainage holes? Your soil looks suspiciously damp? Anthuriums must have porous soil which can dry out...I sometimes let mine wilt slightly before I water. And they must have very bright light to form good flowers...mine get winter sun. Amore, it looks like your red spathe has just grown old.. Here are current pics of my 'kitchen anthuriums'! I cannot believe my luck with these plants!

• Jackie Verdadero
    3 years ago

sharing my anthurium on its 2nd bloom.

• escolat
    3 years ago

Jackie, the white spathe is wonderful! I want a white or purple one now.

• Samantha Marple
    3 years ago

Hi, I just read over this conversation and it's been really helpful for me! I'm going to repot my plant today. I bought it about 2 weeks ago, I've misted it 3 times and just drenched it yesterday. I realize that I probably should have watered it earlier but the soil still seemed moist. I have a similar issue as some other people earlier in the conversation. the new leaf of my Anthurium was doing good originally, but suddenly it's turned brown. Some other leaves have brown patches and very few leaves are still waxy. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I also leave my window cracked at night and the lowest it's been is 55.

The bottom one is still waxy but the top is very dull.

• Mehgan Orsak
    3 years ago

I also wanted to hop on here, after reading comments I feel as though I’ve learned a lot. I have considered repotting, but as I am fairly new to plant care have been a bit reluctant in fear I might disturb the plant too much, and because there seem to be three separate plants in this basket. My flowers look a bit worse for wear but other than that I feel like the leaves look ok. Any suggestion? I got this from a flower shop 2 months ago

• Mehgan Orsak
    3 years ago

I also wanted to hop on to see if anyone had advice for me. I am a pretty new plant owner, I feel like the leaves look ok, but my flowers are looking a bit worse for wear. They are dry and have brown spots. I was considering repotting, but this basket has 3 plants in it and I was concerned about disturbing roots. if anyone could offer suggestions I would greatly appreciate it

• escolat
    3 years ago

Mehgan, I would separate and repot the plants in the Spring. Use some good, well- drained potting soil. Your 'flowers' (spathes) just look old and faded to me. Remove them.They should snap off very easily. The anthurium's leaves look great! Place plants in very bright light/filtered sun. Let the anthurium dry out mostly before you water. Don't forget to feed too.I think my luck with them may be from watering with aquarium water! Here are my 'kitchen anthuriums' now:

They are in their original pots, but I plan to repot soon. They look exactly the same as they did 2 yrs ago growing in my kitchen! I've had great luck!

• Delnar Kapadia
    3 years ago

Hi everyone. I am new to all this but enjoying the suggestions. When my Anthuriam arrived, it had 2 cracked leaves and one leaf with brown spots. I received it during Christmas and then I repotted them using compost as they looked very crowded. One of my red flower has dried. What do you think went wrong? Should I cut the flower? Also, someone suggested bark. So can I use wood chips from a cut down tree? Thanks

• escolat
    3 years ago

Perhaps during shipping, the cold weather shocked your tropical plant. It is usually best to wait until spring /summer to transplant to avoid extra shock...and I would not trust tree wood chips.You might invite pests and certain wood may change the soil PH. I would use the bark that is sold for orchids and mix that with a good potting soil to create good drainage...My anthuriums seem to like being crowded, they are still in their original pots and have been blooming constantly for 2 years! I suppose being crowded stresses the plant just enough to trigger it to bloom and not just grow leaves. I do plan to repot this summer in a slightly bigger pot to freshen it up.

• Delnar Kapadia
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply. I am sending you pictures of my Anthuriam

• Delnar Kapadia
    3 years ago

• Delnar Kapadia
    3 years ago

Why is one tip of the middle bit of the flower turning orange and hard. One red flower completely dried. One more flower is drying and hard.

• escolat
    3 years ago

I'd say that the flower has simply matured and will eventually dry up and fall off. it appears to be the oldest flower...which is completely normal.

• Namitha Pratap
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'm.in desperate need for help for my anthurium!!

I got mine a few months ago. It was doing pretty well, my pride and joy. I have kept it in fairly medium indirect light-receiving place. I keep moving it around a few times a week based on the weather. I water it until it trickles out through the drain hole only when I find the top one inch of oil dry.

I see very very few leaf growth. Hardly 2-3 in the past few months. It had two blooms when bought, nothing after that.

I snip older, dry leaves to save nutrition for the new growth. As far as I can see, it's in a mix of peat and garden soil. It's been fertized twice till date, once just a few days ago. I mist it few times a week. But I can see dry barky stem and new leaves are drying out before they bloom. I don't understand how to make it feel better. Can anyone help me please! It was pretty expensive, I feel scared to even repot it! It's not rootbound yet.

• Alice Espaldon
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would check the roots to see if they’re rotted,

if it looks good I would repot in something more draining. I use half potting soil and half orchid bark and water when its almost dry. Hope that helps.

• escolat
    2 years ago

Just a notion, but I believe that those colorful pebbles may be keeping the soil from airing out, keeping the soil too moist , which will affect the roots and cause the plant to decline. I allow my anthuriums to become almost dry before I water. I always feel the soil before I water. In low winter light, I may water every 2 weeks . In summer, I may water twice a week..Just a thought.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH