SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_inhoff

Eggshell, flat or semi-gloss paint? Can someone advise?

Jay Inhoff
4 years ago

Hi, We are doing a remodel of five rooms including a kitchen, family room, office, laundry and bar. It is time to paint and I am wondering what finish to use.

We are using Benjamin More "White Dove" color most everywhere. My son in law (in real estate development) recommended the Aura line and uses it in all his apartments. I was thinking Regal.

Anyway, for the kitchen should we go with Flat, Eggshell, Satin, or Semigloss on the walls? Can anyone explain to me when you choose which one? (In the past I always went with Eggshell but I don't really know why.) I suppose we will use Semi-gloss or ? on the woodwork.

The drywall has been patched and nicely finished. There is a lot of natural light in the room. And in the future I don't really expect to wash the walls. Most of the wall areas will be covered in tile and cabinets. The counters will be polished Taj Mahal. The cabinets have 18% sheen.

If some of you more experienced Houzzers would explain to me when you choose which finish I would appreciate it.

Thank you. J.

Comments (23)