SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ame2093

Retaining Wall Dilemma

Amy D.
4 years ago

Hello,

We are in the beginning stages of looking to replace one retaining wall and put in a new one.

Current Retaining Wall

Along front walk way. Current material railroad ties and 30+ years old. The current wall needs to come out as it is original and 30+ years old. Also there are some trees along the top of the wall that will also come out as their root system is growing into the wall and the septic system. And we would like to widen the front walkway. About 100' in Length and avg of 4' High.

New Retaining Wall

Along the driveway. Widening the drive way a few feet so that would require a retaining wall that would be about 115' Long and avg of 5' high.

Materials we have considered

Stacked stone wall - Love that it is natural and unique, but it would be a large $$ and time to install, months?!?.

Veneered Stone Wall - We have been advised to look at a poured concrete wall vs concrete block as the 'base'. I like the more square lines stone vs. the mosaic random veneer. Again this will be expensive and the time for a mason to veneer would likely be several weeks to do 2 100'+ walls.

Stacked Block - Similar to a Techno Bloc product. Labor would be less extensive after first 2 courses are laid, but I have yet to find a material that looks natural. And a product that looks natural that would work with a long wall over 3' in height in some places.

Timber - I do not like the railroad ties. But I have seen some retaining walls with what looks like galvanized steel I-beams turned on their side and then PT timbers slide in between. I think that this looks natural and wouldn't stand out in a 100' length. Downside would not allow 'curves' in the walls (if we want them).

Questions:

1 - Should the 2 walls be of the same material? They are only separated by 14' of asphalt driveway.

2 - Should we consider 2 tiers of shorter walls with a planting bed in between vs one long higher wall?

3 - Can the walkway for the front go right up against the wall? Or should there be a small planting bed separating the wall from the walkway? Does walkway location matter if the wall is tiered or one tall wall?

4 - Pros/Cons of a poured concrete wall vs. Block for veneer?

5 - What block companies should we look at for natural looking products? (we are located in Virginia) Currently have catalogues from Newline, Newline Rosetta, Unilock, Techno Block, and Cambridge.

6 - Which Block companies should we steer away from?

7 - Any Timber wall suggestions or experience with residential Timber and Metal retaining wall install?

8 - What questions/considerations should we be sure to ask or consider? From us or from the contractor?

9 - Any other thoughts/advice?

I will try to post some pictures in the comments below.

Thank you in advance for the guidance!

Best,

Amy

Comments (9)