SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

..I have a question about Ploidy, please... thank you...

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

...this has obviously been keeping me awake... but my question is essentially - how do you tell what ploidy a rose has ?...

1. Can you tell by looking at it? by dissecting it or does it rely on scientific tests beyond the scope of most of us?..

2. If you hybridize roses is it important to you to know the ploidy of the roses you are using? which brings me back to question 1..how do you tell?.. or is it of little to no importance?..

I understand the following... most roses are either diploid [14 c]..triploid [21c] or tetraploid [28 c] ...some are more than that.. I also understand that triploid roses because of the uneven chromasome count can often be infertile... and may not set hips... is this how you tell?..

My interest was piqued when I read that the Tea rose Lady Hillingdon is not really a Tea because it's triploid, and true Tea roses should be diploid... the first reference I can find to it being triploid is from 1937, without knowing how they found that out.. other than it sets few hips..

I'm just curious.. sometimes I read a comment on HMF where somebody says ''this rose is triploid'' without going into further details... and I don't get how they would know that...

... thanks for any advice here, I've searched this forum and the hybridizer forum for answers but not to my satisfaction so far unfortunately...

Comments (13)