SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Favorite Oranges of the 2019 Season

shive
4 years ago

Post your favorite oranges here. That includes all shades. Peach, melon and apricot will fall in this category. The next color will be lavender.

Here are my two top favorites:

Coastal Grand always makes a beautiful clump.

The flowers on Maui Sunrise were bigger than they have ever been.

Debra

Comments (86)

• samhain10 - 5a
    4 years ago

Maryl - my Gaudy Gaudy seedling looks very similar to your Orange Smoothie. Interesting.

Alex

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A peachy pink new one this year that has large flowers and shows promise:

To God Be The Glory:

Throw in a little variety with the double:

No Way Jose:

Glowing Quasar:

Maryl

• Related Discussions

Top Ten Favorite Daylilies of 2019

Q

Comments (28)
    Mantis, Passion's Promise brings a smile to my face not only for its name but what a cheerful bloom. I love it ! and I agree with Brad on his comments on Morning Mood . How tall is MM by the way? You mention in your post " old Stamile daylilies" . Did he hybridize elsewhere other than Florida when he started out do you know ? And anyone know what year "old" Stamile cultivars became new Florida ones. I ask because I have tried to grow some Stamile's but more recent intros and they sure do not like it here. But Mantis you are in Ohio so similar growing conditions to me ( we are not that far from each other ) so I am wondering what the cut off time was between old and new so I can look for "old " Stamiles that just might do well here .
    ...See More

Favorite Purples of the 2019 Season

Q

Comments (148)
    Karen, here is another photo of Swallow Tail Kite to give you another view. It does indeed have an eye with a lot of 'blue' in it when I look at it in the garden but I can't comment on what it looks like elsewhere. I haven't seen it in anyone else's garden in person. But, you can't go wrong with it as a plant. It's tall, well-budded, hardy, and sets pods. I happen to count it among my top 10 daylilies for vigor and bloom production. What's not to love?
    ...See More

Favorite Reds of the 2019 Season

Q

Comments (62)
    Wow, just gorgeous everyone! I am a bit behind with the posts as i was away the weekend for a conference. So many wonderful photos had been uploaded since. I totally agree with your sentiment, Signet! Hope you don't mind I copied and pasted it here as I feel exactly as you expressed regarding a good red daylily. " Real reds. I love a true red. Not a blue red , not a pink red but real reds . I don't think any other color can match a good red." Your seedlings are so beautiful, Debra! How do they hold up by the afternoon? Would love to see and hear more of them next year. Besides your seedlings, I also like Betty Bush and Francis Bugsby. Do these still look good by 1PM? I also like Reindeer Antlers, Rudy, and MARIETTA WARRIOR. I may look to add Mexican Maiden to my garden for its sunfast quality. Here are the favorites from my garden this year. Ring of Magnetism Karen stephens
    ...See More

Favorite Lavenders of the 2019 Season

Q

Comments (73)
    Maryl, is it a desk top? The motherboard can be replaced, though it may need a few other things replaced too in order to be compatible, like the processor and memory. However, they should be able to find a motherboard to match the processor socket; then possibly the memory will match too. it would save you a bundle. A decent inexpensive motherboard can easliy be under 100., often around 80.00. Your hard drive with all your stuff will be able to be used. If you had windows 10, no trouble to reinstall and keep your stuff. As to motherboards, if there is any choice, you want Gigabyte brand. Asus would be second, then MSI. Based on experience and about every web site that rates them this is true. Don't let them talk you out of it. Knowing all this will tell them you know something! Let me know if they give you conflicting info. For example, if they want to replace the processor too, ask and let me know what socket the processor is. If they claim the processor is bad, ask them how they know. They virtually NEVER go bad.
    ...See More
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

We grow lots of oranges. Here are some of the best.

Sea of Cinders is one of our all time favorites. It blooms in April in the greenhouse and then reblooms later in the season. It is still blooming in fact. It's not very hardy, though. We have one in the ground that has survived for several years and we have lost several in the ground too. It sets seeds well and we have some nice seedlings out of it.

This is the second season for A Man Called Trout and it looks like it likes it here.

More to come . . .

4 years ago

Belief in Vein is not one of my favorites, but Bob likes it. It is a great grower.

Bob Marley is another good orange.

More to come . . .

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

That was an interesting experiment. After numerous attempts to post more then two pictures and having the whole post just go "poof" and disappear into thin air when I hit submit, I decided to go with the flow and post just the 2 pictures. After it was accepted and posted on the forum I went back to the post , hit edit and added a 3rd picture. By gosh, it took! I had 3 pictures posted under the same header. Wonder if it would work for any of you all having the 2 picture problem? I have other things to do then mess with this right now, so maybe someone else can try it out..............Maryl

4 years ago

Buddy's Betsy, along with Lava Flow, are two of our earliest to bloom.

Lava Flow is more orange red than orange.

More to come . . .

4 years ago

Key West Sunset has a nice watermark.

Light Forbes is new to the garden. Bob was really happy with this one.

More to come . . .

4 years ago

Well, I don't know what happened. I was successful posting all but the last one. I'll try again.

Mighty Chestnut is more of a burnt orange. It is a vigorous grower.

It won't let me post Old Time Memories. So I'll stop here.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Nancy/Alex: Would you please tell me your experience with Gaudy Gaudy. I really can't afford to add more that are duds due to my space/time constraints. I see Alex that you say it looks a bit like the yellowish stage of Orange Smoothie. I'm interested in it because it's described as a late gold. That's what I want. A late GOLDen yellow full faced flower. I know this isn't the yellow forum, but I really would like to know since it's been brought up by you all..............Maryl

• samhain10 - 5a
    4 years ago

Maryl - mine is a seedling of Gaudy Gaudy, which is - according to the photos I've seen - a true yellow gold, not the color which my seedling shows. The seed was gifted to me by hoosier Nancy, so she will be able to tell you what the original plant is like. I can only add that this particular seedling is a winner as far as the plant goes - a strong, tall, late bloomer

Alex

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Thank you Alex. I hope Hoosier Nancy is still checking this thread. I remember her posting Gaudy Gaudy years ago and it looked nice, but she doesn't mention it much..............Maryl

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

It gets harder and harder to choose what ones attract me . Debra I love your image of Maui Sunrise and I have got to track down Wheel of Time . What a bloom !

Sherry/ MaryL Orange Smoothie ......yum ! Sherry I love your image of Purple Maze I find it hard to capture Read Winds real colors too! Pizza Crust is in a spot that has not allowed it to bloom for several years. Working on getting so many moved . Pizza Crust will be one of those that will have to wait until next spring.

MaryL Glowing Quasar is so so pretty !

Alex , your Gaudy Gaudy seedling is a looker! How lucky are you ! Your Pineapple Bites seedlings are proof positive that you just never know what you will get from seeds . Hard to believe those 2 are sibs.

Hoosier_nan ......your Sea of Cinders really needs to come to my gardens if I can find it . I think I need to find a home for Lava Flow . I just personally dont like an orange with a red eye. Same as I don't like a pink with a red eye . Mighty Chestnut was added here last summer but the eye is more muted than Lava Flow . For me the jury is still out on that one . Maybe I will just move those two out to where the chickens reside opening up a couple of spaces for two new ones to fill their spots. Key West Sunset is lovely .

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Apache Sunrise-was supposed to be at the bottom of this post! Oh me, always surprises when you post!

There are so many lovelies on here. Too many to single out! This is a color that draws you across the garden and so many variations. I am almost embarrassed to admit I have 3400 pics on my phone, most of which have not been uploaded to my computer so will attempt to post again from phone! it would be easier if my iPad was not lying broken in my office!

Golden Globe-I think it has every color in this category!

4 years ago

Maryl, we have grown Gaudy Gaudy for many years. It's a great grower but the scape is not very tall. The color is quite sunfast (if my memory serves).

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Golden Child-what a bloomer!

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Tried two pics-only took one. Maybe just one more.

Decided to go with Prickly Sensation-blooms early and often.

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Sorry, I do need to add just one more! I love the uniqueness of this one. Pointed Perfection

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

I don't have many orange daylilies so this thread is such a treat! There are too many gorgeous ones! I need to check out Venus's Fire, Sea of Cinders, Apache Sunrise, all of Maryl's oranges.

Maryl, you sure have a fabulous collection of orange! I really really want all the ones you have posted.

Kate, love your Golden Globe and Pointed Perfection! GG is so beautiful!

Santa Cruz

Indian Dreams

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Seedling Cougar X Horns

Summa Cum Laude

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Great seedling, Karen! Almost red?

Sherry

4 years ago

Maryl, Gaudy Gaudy is a keeper. We (especially Bob) love it. I don't mention it often because I haven't taken a picture of it recently. We got several good pictures years ago, so I just don't photograph it--too many others to photograph especially seedlings. I tried to insert a picture here, but Houzz won't load it.

Karen, your Cougar X Horns seedling is amazing. I hope it is a good grower. The seedlings we have gotten from Horns have been good growers.

To everyone wanting Sea of Cinders, it might be hard to find. I don't know of any sources. We bought it from Guidry's Daylily Garden but they don't list it anymore. It's a Salter, but they usually only list their most recent intros. We only have as many as we do (2 plants) because early on it produced several proliferations. It hasn't done that since. It just doesn't increase for us. It really is a shame because it is a beautiful flower.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Thank you Nancy for your Gaudy Gaudy report. Can't add anything without subtracting something (or that's the plan anyway). Maybe you will be able to post a picture when we do the yellows? I also meant to say how much I like Key West Sunset. Very pretty.........Kate: An especially good shot of Apache Sunrise. It will change colors depending on the heat. I've seen mine look just like yours. Nice...........Alex: Nectre of the Gods is another one I Iiked of yours.........Karen: Thanks for the thumbs up on my oranges. Your Santa Cruz attracts me with it's excellent form and ruffled edges. Those edges get me every time..........I'll post a couple more of mine under another header so the comments don't get lost if the picture disappears...........Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

A later blooming orange that is a good one it seems to be in everyones garden.

Coral Majority

Another one I've had forever and is a permanent fixture with me:

Coral Corduroy:

Maryl

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Coral Corduroy is lovely too!

THanks Nancy and Sherry. Sherry, it is a fiery orange red. Nancy, it is good to know that Horns makes good kids. It certainly makes very tall kids! This seedling is almost 4ft tall. It also shows vague striping on some flowers. I like to cross it with Explosiion in the Paint Factory to see whether the striping will be produced in its offspring. Hope I can get EitPF someday.

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maryl and Kate - I do like Apache Sunrise in both your gardens!

I can't believe I left out Indian Ripple. Maybe I forgot it because it's a late.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Debra: I love Indian Ripple. It's another one I won't do without. Often my last to bloom, it's so unique.............. I don't have a good picture of it recently, but perhaps someone else does of South Seas. That is another oldie but goldie............Maryl

4 years ago

Karen, crossing your seedling with Explosion in the Paint Factory sounds like a good idea to me. One of our seedlings out of Horns has midribs on the sepals as well as the petals. I have wondered if it could be used with Clown Pants, which has striped sepals. Here is a picture of the seedling. The other parent is Ashwood Inferno.

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Nancy: Texas Heatwave is my favorite of yours. I too like the watermark. Maryl, Key West Sunset is a great color; love both the Corals. I have Coral Majority and it is a great bloomer. I've never seen Coral Corduroy before. Kate, both of yours are causing me to want more! Apache Sunrise is such a beauty-form and color really hit me. So does Golden Globe! I love daylilies with multiple colors like it. Heather, Smoky Mt. Autumn is such a beauty.

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Lots of nice ones, I will comment later, just want to get my few oranges posted if I can

Autumn Wood, photo does not show how really pretty it is, it does not capture true color

Citrix

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Sailor Sky was one of the best bloomers in my garden this year, only on its 2nd year too. Almost looks pink here, but one of those difficult colors to describe

Orange Velvet

I know I took pictures of Mr. Skeffington and Mean Green, both bloomed great, and 1st year for Mr. Skeffington. I will post later if I find the photos.

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Nancy, just like my Orange Velvet photos, yours looks yellow too. No matter how I take the picture they never look orange enough.

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I know Brad, maybe because my camera is getting old and not doing as good as it once did. Still seems better than my phone.

So many pretty ones, but my very favs are to God Be the Glory, Glowing Quasar, Pointed Perfection, Santa cruz, Coral Corduroy, Wheel of Time, Connamon Sunrise. Several seedling caught my eye too.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Since you were talking about it, Mr Skeffington, had a few blooms new to the garden. Nancy, from Laura, like mine?

sherry

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Yes, Sherry, from Laura. Reminds me a bit of Wisest of Wizards, but was covered with blooms. I was so impressed for 1st year plant.

• harold100
    4 years ago

Mauna Loa. She chose not to bloom this year for some unknown reason.

Kwanza. A triple petal. Given to me by a friend 15 years ago, before I started collecting the more modern ones.

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Harold - I grow Mauna Loa too. It has excellent color that just glows!

Debra

• harold100
    4 years ago

Thanks Debra. I'm hoping mine bloom better next year since I just had a very tall maple removed which shaded them until 1 pm.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Hi Harold, I grow both those daylilies too. Kwaza Flore Pleno ( the triple bloom ) is really popular around here . I guess because everyone is used to seeing fulva (single bloom ) growing in the ditches but have never seen the triple bloom before . Funny you should say that Mauna Loa didn't bloom for you this year . Mine didn't either . It was one of several that chose not to bloom due in most part I believe because of the severe drought we experienced from May through to September . I have several plants that did nothing this season past and are now putting out scapes because we are actually getting some good rains now . I hope to see some bloom before frost nips them in the bud .

Great image of both by the way !

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

LilyKate wow love your image of Apache Sunrise . That one is going on my list for sure ! So very pretty !

• harold100
    4 years ago

Thanks Signet. We had decent rain through the spring and early summer but just went through a 10-week drought. Finally had slow overnight rain 3 times in the last 10 days. I water my daylilies about every 10 days so as not to cause root rot. I recently trim down my foliage and gave them a light dressing of composted cow manure and Starbucks coffee grinds. Now they are growing like it is springtime.

Someone on this forum recently said that they apply a mulch for the winter. Is that really the proper thing to do or would that cause too much root rot?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

My thoughts on mulch for daylilies are from my own experience.......... Mulch attracts slugs like crazy, and slugs love freshly opened daylily blooms; especially those that open up early the night before during a slugs prime feeding time. Also, rolly pollies and other moist dark environment critters congregate around the crowns of daylilies and feed. Mulch does stave off drought, but in winter cold wet roots and wet mulch around the crown of the plant do the daylilies no favors. Now I'm in zone 7, so I can't attest to the advantages of mulch in a colder zone, but we can get down to single digits here, so it's not exactly a tropical paradise. As always with gardening techniques - mileage may vary..........Maryl

• harold100
    4 years ago

Thanks Maryl. That would be my opinion on it too. I have lost a few lilies to overwatering and learned my lesson. So far I have not had slugs on my lilies but sure do not wish to encourage it.

I am also in zone 7 on the southern edge of Virginia. Our Winters usually get down to about 20 degrees here. I believe it helps out that my lilies must be planted right against my concrete driveway. It charges up with heat during the day and holds it nicely overnight.

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Harold, I really like Mauna Loa. It is such a great orange.

I use mulch, but I like several others use pine needles [pine straw]. Slugs don't like it, it doesn't seem to cause rot and it fertilizes the soil. I have better colors since I've used it. However, it needs refreshed yearly. Fortunately I can get all I want free at my church, which has a large property surrounded by pine trees.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree with Brad about using pine needles as mulch.

Debra

• samhain10 - 5a
    4 years ago

I use the straw or hay that was used the previous year for insulating the cat shelters. Yes, slugs do like to hide in the straw, but slugs will hide anywhere that it is not bare ground. As far as daylilies are concerned, I have not had that much of an issue with them eating the buds. And sprinkling diatomaceous earth around the base of the plants has helped with them, when they do start to be a problem. In my zone 5a, the mulch has been of benefit in keeping in moisture in those areas which are sandier loam, and in helping insulate through the winter. And if frost heaving tends to be an issue, if one waits till the ground freezes before applying the mulch, then this can prevent premature thawing until spring comes on.

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

You can always use crushed egg shells as slug deterrent around your plants if you dont want to spend money on diatomaceous earth.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Since no one else posted a picture of it, I'll post an older one of mine. This daylily was recommended by just about everyone on this forum years ago as a must have. I think that holds true today.

South Seas:

Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Maryl, I have it, Coral Majority and Smoky Mt Autumn saved for the Coral category. Definitely not forgotten!

Brad

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Brad: That's a great trio and a good addition to anyone's garden.........Maryl

4 years ago

Maryl, this is Bob, using Nancy's login since I'm lazy and she is still logged on. Gaudy Gaudy has been totally reliable in every way and produces consistently well-formed blooms. It's similar to Jumble Edge, if you know that one, but has much better formed blooms. My only complaint is height...it's a shorter one! Always displays its blooms well, above the foliage, but I like them taller. It's a bit more lemon yellow in cooler weather, but shows more gold in heat. The top photo is on a hot day and the bottom in cooler weather.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz