SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alittlecreative

Sink choice: cast iron, stainless, fireclay?

I am meeting with designer on Wednesday to finalize choices on our new home build. I had been in our previous home 22 years, so I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. One choice that has me twitchy is the kitchen sink. (I have serched the forums and found lots of threads on this, but nothing very recent).

We did a remodel in 2006 and bought a Blanco Silgranit undermount sink. A few years later, it developed a crack that leaked through and ruined the cabinet under it. They replaced it after asking, "Did you use boiling water with it?" Of course I did, as my son was a pasta junkie, and it's a sink! Where else am I supposed to drain hot water? We donated the new replacement to Habitat for Humanity and installed an overmounted stainless sink which was fine.

Needless to say, I'm quite nervous about making a similar mistake. I love the look of the apron sinks and the cast iron seems so great, but I'm nervous about cracks, chips, etc. We cook with heavy cast iron, and I would hate to damage it. I don't love the look or sound of stainless steel, but it is sturdy which appeals to me after the previous problems.

Comments (21)