SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3madhaus

Basic top loader needed - recommendations?

JP Haus
4 years ago

I need a very basic top load washer for a second home. The FL Whirlpool we bought is getting kicked to the curb in utter frustration with Whirlpool, Lowe's and S&S Appliance Services. Too many hours have been wasted on it. We have 5 yr. old Whirlpool washer and dryer at home that work much better than these new ones. I can cope with the dryer by using the timed setting, but there's nothing I can do to make the washer work for us.

Unfortunately, it appears that Roper and Amana are both now owned by Whirlpool. Years ago (decades, in some cases) we were quite happy with machines from both companies. I'm now looking for a simple machine that's no more than 4.2 cu.ft. and it seems that my options are limited.

I do mainly smaller loads, usually in cold water. Our water heaters are only about 6 ft. from the washer connection in the laundry room, so we can raise the heat setting once a week in order to wash sheets and towels in very hot water rather than pay for an internal heater in the washer.

Has anyone had good experience with a washer like I've described? I've read too many reviews online where the owner awarded a machine 4 stars then complained about problems that would make us want to return it.

Thank you.

Comments (14)